Play Book Tag discussion

October 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lynm) | 332 comments Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann
4 stars

David Grann brings us the account of the "Reign of Terror" in Osage country in the 1920s in Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI. The Osage were wealthy because of the oil under their reservation, and the corrupt non Indians were willing to do anything to get their hands on the wealth. This resulted in a series of murders of tribal members, shootings, poisoning and even blowing up a house. It's pretty awful what the Osage experienced, and how the white settlers took advantage of them. This eventually becomes the first case for the new FBI.
The book does a good job of presenting the crimes against the Osage and then a good job of explaining the investigation and court cases.
In the final section of the book the author goes on to explain that the cases presented in the book were just some of the crimes against the Osage that were committed during the time. There were many more mysterious deaths that were never investigated.
Overall, a very good book that I would recommend to anyone interested in true crime, the history of the FBI, or Native peoples.

message 2: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments I just bought this book. I'm excited to get to it.

message 3: by NancyJ (last edited Oct 07, 2020 07:25AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Great review Lynn. This is a fabulous book. He builds the story really well. I really connected to the woman in part one, because my great great grandmother (Native American) was about the same age. I liked the FBI agent in part two also (including his career after the FBI). Part three was devastating when you think about the scope of it. (view spoiler)

Joi - It's a little slow going, but it's worth it.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1297 comments I really enjoyed this book too.

But the story is horrifying - all the worse because its true.