I Read Comic Books discussion

Let's Talk Spooky/Fall Comics!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin (panelparty) | 250 comments Mod
Happy Halloween Month everyone! Now that the leaves are starting to turn and the weather's getting chillier, what are some your favorite spooky comics? Anything specifically set on Halloween you love?

Alternatively, what are some of your fave comics with that cozy vibe that makes autumn so great?

Some of my picks:
Spooky
Rachel Rising, Volume 1: The Shadow of Death
Ice Cream Man, Vol. 1: Rainbow Sprinkles
Something is Killing the Children, Volume One (BotM!!)
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Vol. 1: The Crucible

Cozy as Heck
Mooncakes - huge fall vibes!
Sheets
Pretty much any sweet manga (like Orange: The Complete Collection, Volume 1)

message 2: by Lenny (last edited Oct 03, 2020 08:08PM) (new)

Lenny (lennylenlen) | 155 comments Love this topic, Erin! Black Magick is probably my favorite fall series. Also highly recommend horror/western The Sixth Gun (especially if you like Firefly), and Locke & Key.

Along the same lines as Sheets, Friends With Boys by Faith Erin Hicks is a cute YA graphic novel about a girl and a ghost. Giant Days isn't specifically fall but has me nostalgic for going back to school days - I'm sure a lot of students feel that way this year :/

I'm usually not a true horror fan, but a few books have gotten me to reconsider, specifically Long Lost, which I've mentioned a thousand times in this group and will not stop, as well as Rachel Rising, another black and white series.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (panelparty) | 250 comments Mod
Lenny wrote: "Love this topic, Erin! Black Magick is probably my favorite fall series. Also highly recommend horror/western The Sixth Gun (especially if you like Firefly), and [boo..."

Black Magic is SO FREAKING GOOD! Thanks for recommending it for the challenge because I wouldn't have looked twice at it before and now I'm kind of obsessed. I totally feel you on the Giant Days nostalgia as well - I considered putting it on my Fall list! I went to go add Long Lost to my TBR and noticed it was already on there - looks like it just shot to the top! :)

message 4: by Tom (last edited Oct 20, 2020 06:59AM) (new)

Tom | 156 comments Started Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 1: The Fugue and Britannia, Vol. 1 and am enjoying both so far.

Not comics, but The Uncanny Valley: Tales from a Lost Town is a short story anthology that is tailor made for this time of year (as most of the stories are horror-themed).

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 201 comments I've read The Graveyard Book (the graphic version) along with another group that was reading the text version. I liked it, but didn't love it. I guess I'm too old for it!

I enjoyed more Edgar Allan Poe's Snifter of Terror: Volume One and am continuing to volume 2.

message 6: by Anurag (last edited Oct 21, 2020 11:17AM) (new)

Anurag | 39 comments Not specifically Halloween related, but I loved these two horror books

The Walking Dead, Vol. 1 Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom | 156 comments I finished Britannia, Vol. 1 and really liked it. But then again I'm a sucker for anything having to do with Ancient Rome, so there is that.

message 8: by Nancy (last edited Oct 31, 2020 05:45PM) (new)

Nancy | 133 comments Some of my favorite horror graphic novels are:

Uzumaki: Spiral Into Horror (3 book manga series)
Snow, Glass, Apples
Through The Woods
Locke & Key (6 book series)
Revival (8 book series)
Harrow County (8 book series)
Bone Parish (3 book series)