Ranters and Reviewers discussion

Book Nooks > Andrea’s Book Nook

Comments Showing 1-50 of 171 (171 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments This is where I (Andrea) will share all my rants + reviews!

message 2: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 3144 comments Mod
Hi Andrea!
I think you accidentally made two topics... the other one has no comments on it. Can I delete it?

message 3: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Sofia wrote: "Hi Andrea!
I think you accidentally made two topics... the other one has no comments on it. Can I delete it?"

of course! I don't know why it duplicated this one. I noticed too the other day but I was on my mobile app and didn't know how to delete it there.

message 4: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments also, I just finished Percy Jackson (pretty basic, I know) but I really really enjoyed it. Per usual, I didn't enjoy this one as much as I have enjoyed other books I've read recently, but the first book in a series are often pretty slow in my opinion. I really liked this one though and I am a daughter of Athena :)

message 5: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments side note: I went ahead and deleted the duplicate topic.

message 6: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

I'm either a daughter of Athena or Apollo.
Also, PJO was my thing back in fifth grade. I was obsessed with it. #nerdymoments

message 7: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Hahaha well, my thing was Harry Potter and A Series of Unfortunate Events back in fifth grade, so I never really got into the Percy Jackson scene. I used to be scared to commit to full serieses after Harry Potter because Harry Potter took me four years (granted I started when I was six). I had always wanted to read Percy Jackson and multiple people have recommended it to me particularly recently so here I am having just run back to my house from Barnes & Noble to pick up Sea of Monsters. Hope it's good!

message 8: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

I've read HP so many times... I was the Pottermore nerd back in elementary

message 9: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Sofia wrote: "I've read HP so many times... I was the Pottermore nerd back in elementary"

Oh my god same! I'm the only person my friends allow to gatekeep Harry Potter because I literally was the first person to start in our whole grade. And I really hate that TikTok made it super popular recently because I used to get made fun of for reading and being called book girl :( so yeah that's my Harry Potter story :)))

message 10: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Sorry this is stupid...but I love musicals and listening to Hadestown (which is about Greek mythology (Orpheus and Eurydice)) as I read Percy Jackson is literally one of the most amazing reading experiences I’ve ever had.

message 11: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

It's so epic, I know!

message 12: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Omg wait have you watched/listened to it? Btw if anyone here likes musicals or anything like that, omg TELL ME BECAUSE I LOVE THEM TOO

message 13: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Just finished Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians). It was actually so great and progressed very nicely. It actually wasn't doing much for me in the beginning but I'm glad I warmed up to it. The link to my review is in the "Share Your Reviews" section.

message 14: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Awesome! I'll check it out.

message 15: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Hey y'all: just a few reading updates coming up!
-I added a new book to my currently reading that we are reading in class. It is called "The Most Dangerous Game" and I hate that I kind of like it because it goes against almost every trope I stand for. Who am I?? One, it's a classic and yes I am aware that it is possible to like a classic, but...yeah I think you understand. Two, it's about hunters and hunting humans and I absolutely despise guns. Lastly, it has NO WOMEN. As a feminist, that really hurts me, even if it was written in the 1920s. But somehow it's intriguing me...I really don't know.
-I'm currently reading The Titan's Curse. I'm on a bit of a reading break right now but I will read a lot today.
-I finished organizing my gr bookshelves! I was so inspired by Sofia's bookshelves that it started to bother me--why don't I have bookshelves like this? It also really helped me think about how I felt about my books and indicate which ones I read as a youngen...which is great because I don't want people thinking I'm crazy for reading The Littlest Elf for something like that.

message 16: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) I'm trying to organize my shelves too. I've had this account for more than 2 years and I still haven't done that XD

message 17: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

*claps* I love your shelves.
I'm reading Lord of the Flies in school right now, and it has no girls. Those boys would have lasted much longer if they were girls and grew a brain

message 18: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) XD

message 19: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Sofia wrote: "*claps* I love your shelves.
I'm reading Lord of the Flies in school right now, and it has no girls. Those boys would have lasted much longer if they were girls and grew a brain"

omg a book with just boys makes the characters have no reasoning. Like if Percy Jackson never had Thalia or Annabeth or his mom or any other girl, he would have died in book one

message 20: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments LuminescentFirefly wrote: "I'm trying to organize my shelves too. I've had this account for more than 2 years and I still haven't done that XD"

Yessss do it do it do it! It's so worth it in the end! It took me forever though...

message 21: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) I don't even know where to start...

message 22: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments LuminescentFirefly wrote: "I don't even know where to start..."

Well I started with the shelves...so I made shelves for my frequent genres and liked and disliked tropes. I also made a shelf for the bechdel test, loving the characters, hating the characters, etc. Just use things that have bothered you and things you loved while reading in the past. Then I went through every book in my read and I sorted them and thought if they fit into each category. It was mentally exhausting though so make sure to not stay up until 12:30 AM doing it and TAKE A BREAK.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments My shelves are chaotic and I change the names of them too much.

message 24: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Harry would have died without Hermione, too

message 25: by andrea (last edited Oct 15, 2020 04:11PM) (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Sofia wrote: "Harry would have died without Hermione, too"

Oh my god...how could I forget my literal favorite analogy...whatever, Percy Jackson is more relevant for me at the moment because I'm reading it. Schools really need to own up to female representation in required readings though...my dad told me about this time when he was in school and the teacher wanted them to read a book starring a girl and the school didn't let them because they would be "excluding the boys" so they read a book about a boy instead. Also, for my summer reading we were allowed to pick from ten books...the books starring boys were totally normal and good, but the books starring girls were either about girls dying, girls being molested, or girls being bullied! That is so unfair in my opinion.

(omg I just realized how long this is...oops...it's a really important subject in my personal stance)

message 26: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

That's so stupid.
And all the required reading is about boys. Why??

message 27: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Sofia wrote: "That's so stupid.
And all the required reading is about boys. Why??"

honestly...i don't know...its so messed up...
my best friend read a book called "The Lovely Bones" about (maybe spoilers, idk I haven't read the book) a girl who was molested and killed...
the book I read was "A Wrinkle in Time" where a girl was frequently called "weak" or a "moron" by the other male characters
another book was about an immigrant girl who was being objectified and bullied
and then another book about a girl who was being molested
I think that's really unfair...I wouldn't see myself in any of those books...why can't there be any decent female characters in schoolbooks for once???

message 28: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

I agree. I can't name a single book required for school that had a female main character who wasn't gossipy or a caricature or a stereotype... much less in required classic literature

message 29: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) I had favorite shelves already and I added one for trashy books along with books I own (not many, I haven't been to a book store in a year).

message 30: by Random Pineapple (new)

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) | 571 comments I read The Book Thief for grade 10 English (along with To Kill a Mockingbird which I hated). Anyways. The book thief has a female MC
and holy crap what are the school making you read???

message 31: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Lord of the Flies
Wonder
The Dust Bowl (female mc but I hated her)
The Outsiders

message 32: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

I hated them all, btw

message 33: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Omg the book thief was amazing I read it in sixth grade but the school didn’t know what I was reading...if not they wouldn’t have let me...very sheltered private school

and yeah we read Wonder and the Outsiders and out of my mind (female mc and cerebral palsy representation but the character was a bit of a Mary Sue) and an autobiography about a boy who climbed the seven summits but those were the only ones that stood out to me...the female mcs that we read about were usually dependent on men

I went to a Catholic school and they believed that women were weaker 🙄 and then I transferred to a public high school and they had us read some heavy material like the summer reading ones I referenced but still had women being hurt and men staying privileged and rescuers

message 34: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

I didn't like The Book Thief as much as other people seem to... it wasn't very sad or touching. Just an average story

message 35: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) Sofia wrote: "Lord of the Flies
Wonder
The Dust Bowl (female mc but I hated her)
The Outsiders"

I actually have a whole shelf for books I read for school, and I also read Wonder(which is not great), and I'm currently reading The Outsiders, which I am liking so far.

message 36: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments hahah we all seem to have wonder and the outsiders shoved down our throats...also yes I have a school shelf too. Most of those books are rating three stars or lower 😕

message 37: by LyraFirefly (last edited Oct 15, 2020 06:46PM) (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) Ehh all of them are 3 stars or lower except last years' because even if my teacher was horriblebad, she has exquisite taste in books. All of those I gave 4-5 stars actually.

message 38: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments oh you’re lucky...the best books we read were probably Wonder or the Outsiders but like NOTHING else was good...we also read Tuck Everlasting but that was SO mediocre. We also read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle and that was also pure mediocrity. Kinda sucks.

message 39: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

I've read all those books, but the last two on my own time. My school likes to read books with a message. It's stupid.

message 40: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Honestly, and the message never even helps anyway. Some people who are brats often stay brats...why don’t schools understand that

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments I never read Wonder for school, but I read Outsiders over a few years ago.

The latest book I've read for school is The Poisonwood Bible, which was fairly interesting. The characters are mostly girls/women.

Most books for school are mediocre, but some I've actually liked. Last year we read a lot of depressing books.

message 42: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) I wouldn't call my self lucky because she gives horrible grades in writing because she's a picky author (even though I didn't even like her book... literally the only book I've ever dnfed). She also is just generally really bad at teaching. Can't deny that the books she likes are good though.

message 43: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) About her grading... we worked on a writinf piece for half the school year, and the maximum grade she gave on an assignment was a B-, and only 2 people got that grade.

message 44: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

That's rough :(

message 45: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Oh that’s terrible I’m sorry...

message 46: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) Yeah... "thankfully", she assigned a lot, so we had a chance get our grades back up which I did :)

message 47: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments So...I just started to watch Peter Johnson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief...and I really am expecting to dislike this. so let's begin:
-I hate to admit it but the soundtrack is really good
-The CGI is kinda sucky
-The characters look so old...I looked at the screen and I saw Logan Lerman and thought I was watching Perks of Being A Wallflower for a second.
-Grover ian't how I imagined him--not just the fact that he changed races but his attitude
-why isn't he in boarding school?
-I don't know what to make of the acting...Percy, Sally, and Gabe are pretty good, but that scene in the beginning with Poseidon and Zeus made me what to gouge my eyes out with a spoon
-Chiron is bothering me
-Uhh...why isn't the Mist affecting everyone after the Mrs. Dodds thing?
-I highly dislike this movie...but I have re-affirmed my crush on Logan Lerman
-Why is Grover at their house and why did he beat up Gabe?
-I like this funny Grover but why is he so brave and valiant? It just doesn't work.
-Okay I'm going to stop watching the movie now because they're about to go into Camp Half Blood and just looking at the entrance I know it's going to ruin my vision while reading

message 48: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

The movie is sooooo bad. The books are way better. And Annabeth in the movie is a BRUNETTE. WHAT??

message 49: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Sofia wrote: "The movie is sooooo bad. The books are way better. And Annabeth in the movie is a BRUNETTE. WHAT??"

I didn't get to see Annabeth or evaluate her acting but I know what she looks like...Percy Jackson looked and acted like how I imagined...that was about the only character who did

message 50: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Also, my mom just saw my goodreads shelves and she had the audacity to say they were “a little obsessive”. I made a face at her like 👁👄👁

« previous 1 3 4