Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
This topic is about The Dragon Republic
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Dragon Republic [November 1, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 2 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7466 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang starting November 1, 2020.
The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2) by R.F. Kuang

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Spot.

message 3: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 2 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7466 comments Mod
I might be in... it depends on a few scheduling things.. Fingers crossed...

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Falciani | 4 comments I might be able to do this. Looks like a good book.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1792 comments I'll join this to prep for the last book.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Looks like I may start this one earlier, tomorrow probably.

Paula (paula7) | 680 comments up until chapter 4
(view spoiler)

message 8: by Silvana (last edited Nov 03, 2020 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1792 comments Chapter 7 (view spoiler)

I am glad I am rereading this since I forgot many details.

message 9: by Barry (last edited Nov 03, 2020 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Part I

Rin (view spoiler)

Dragon Warlord (view spoiler)

The Empress (view spoiler)

message 10: by Silvana (last edited Nov 05, 2020 04:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1792 comments Barry wrote: "End of Part I

Rin I guess her naivety in trusting different people without any thought could be considered a side effect of her PTSD, since she almost always under constant influence of the poppy...."

Dragon warlord (view spoiler)

Empress (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I’m finding this book to be less enjoyable than the first one. I think Kupang ran afoul of the old writing adage “show, don’t tell”. Lots of instances where Rin is just a peripheral figure to what’s going on, so she has to receive reports from other characters. Even when the events are centered on her, the author doesn’t really provide enough descriptions of how she deals with the events. (view spoiler).

The plot itself is still quite fascinating. Some twists that are unexpected. But yeah overall it’s been a rather disappointing read so far.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1792 comments chapter 21

Barry wrote: "I’m finding this book to be less enjoyable than the first one. I think Kupang ran afoul of the old writing adage “show, don’t tell”. Lots of instances where Rin is just a peripheral figure to what’..."

where are you now?

TBH because this is a reread I am already over Rin's arc - she was never a particular fave of mine after all. Currently I'm focusing on the battles - not often I encounter the riverine ones - and trying to picture those in my mind.

what do you think of Nezha (view spoiler)

message 13: by Barry (last edited Nov 08, 2020 02:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I just finished. I didn't enjoy Part I and II, mostly because (view spoiler) Part III was better though.

Nezha (view spoiler)

Hinterlander (view spoiler)

Hesperia (view spoiler)

message 14: by Silvana (last edited Nov 08, 2020 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1792 comments Hesperia
(view spoiler)

Agree with your points on Nezha. But I don't mind seeing (view spoiler)

As for the Kitreyids and Naimads, I'm still reserving judgment until the last book (view spoiler)