What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Medieval-ish book about a boy who has to make a sword to defeat a villain in the forest. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry Fahey | 3 comments I probably read this book somewhere in the 1978-1984 range.

It's either set during medieval times or in a Game of Thrones-style fantasy world that's similar.

The hero is a kid in a village or town whose brother is killed, I think when they're both young, and then the hero grows up. Some threat develops in the forest/mountain outside the town and somehow it falls upon the hero to go fight and kill it. He has to forge his own sword--this scene is VERY memorable. It describes the sword-making process in some detail and, almost by chance, he forges a sword of absolute perfection, just a sword for the ages.

He then heads off to fight this monster/demon, and discovers that it is, in fact, his supposedly dead brother.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Oct 02, 2020 10:06AM) (new)

Kris | 35348 comments Mod
Larry, would you say the genre is fantasy for teens (= YA)? (I added a spoiler alert to the header.)

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry Fahey | 3 comments Oh good! Sorry about the spoiler.

Well, I was certainly in the YA age range when I read it, but didn't regard it at the time as anything other than just a great story. Hard to say how the tone, etc. would feel now, but at the time it had a very Odyssey/Gilgamesh/Beowulf sort of vibe--in fact, for years I thought it *was* Beowulf, but the brother part and the emphasis on sword-making suggest otherwise, despite similarities.

message 4: by Genesistrine (new)

Genesistrine | 388 comments Maybe Michael Scott Rohan's The Anvil of Ice? Lot of sword-forging details in that...

message 5: by Larry (new)

Larry Fahey | 3 comments Genesistrine wrote: "Maybe Michael Scott Rohan's The Anvil of Ice? Lot of sword-forging details in that..."

Hm, not sure it's this one. The brother angle was VERY important to the story I read.