I Read Comic Books discussion

Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 1
BotM Discussions > October 2020 BotM - Something is Killing the Children Vol. 1

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin (panelparty) | 260 comments Mod
This month's Book of the Month is Something is Killing the Children, Volume One by James Tynion IV!

What did you think about this one? Have you read anything else by Tynion?

As a reminder, this thread is FULL SPOILERS for Volume 1 - if you've read past Issue 5, please don't post spoilers here!

This month's episode will be publicly available on October 28th. If it's ok to read your comments on the show, please post them before October 25th and include "OK TO AIR" in your post!

Nancy | 133 comments Erica Slaughter is a Goth looking Buffy The Vampire Slayer who is ready to head into the woods to kick some monster's ass. The world-building is intriguing, as you can’t help but wonder at Erica’s past and her intentions. There are hints that she belongs to a society of monster-killers. The artwork is definitely atmospheric- gloomy, creepy and bloody but sketchy and imprecise.

This first volume has potential, and I am definitely ready to read V2, as I hope this new horror series lives up the good buzz I've heard about it.

For a longer review, read my blog post: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2020/05/2...

*Ok to air*

Whitney | 213 comments I was SO excited when this series was chosen for the month! I had been eyeing it for a while. I binged both volumes.

I loved it. I definitely felt the Rated R Buffy vibes. Erica is a Buffy who's in her thirties and so very tired of the death. She has the black eye circles to prove it. Her job is brutal and she has to look at dead children everyday. Her bosses really seems like the annoying Watcher's Council.

The artwork was beautiful and gory. I really liked the contrast between the light and dark. It made the light really pop. The story was simple and easy to follow the pace. There could have been more information told but I'm assuming that will come later. I'm not in a hurry. I found the atmosphere excellently conveyed the isolation and disconnect of Erica's lifestyle. You could tell the job was her life and she had been doing it for too long.

"OK TO AIR"