Booker of the Month discussion

The Shadow King
This topic is about The Shadow King
The Shadow King > GENERAL DISCUSSION (spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Deedi Brown (DeediReads) (deedireads) | 32 comments Mod
Here's a thread for general discussion. You're also welcome to start your own thread in this folder if you have a certain question or topic you want to talk about.

Happy reading, friends!

Amanda (amandaann7) | 2 comments I'm a bit late getting started as my copy just arrived, but I'm curious if anyone else is struggling with the lack of quotation marks for dialogue? I'm hoping I'll get more into the rhythm of the language to where it flows a bit more easily but right now it is keeping my reading pace on the slow side.

Deedi Brown (DeediReads) (deedireads) | 32 comments Mod
Buy_the_book wrote: "Hey Amanda. I am not a fan of no quotations marks. It is always an adjustment for me to get use to. I’ve noticed a lot of authors doing that recently. I wonder if there is a reason why."

Here's an interesting article that comments on this: https://www.theguardian.com/books/boo...

I find that the practice of omitting quotation marks pops up in books that align more with literary fiction (which you've been reading more of lately, I think, NagQuita!). I think it's just a step closer to poetry, a little more immersive, a little more experimental, a little less pretending like this is fact the author is relaying exactly.

Amanda (amandaann7) | 2 comments Deedi wrote: "Buy_the_book wrote: "Hey Amanda. I am not a fan of no quotations marks. It is always an adjustment for me to get use to. I’ve noticed a lot of authors doing that recently. I wonder if there is a re..."

Buy_the_book wrote: "Hey Amanda. I am not a fan of no quotations marks. It is always an adjustment for me to get use to. I’ve noticed a lot of authors doing that recently. I wonder if there is a reason why."

Thanks for sharing the article Deedi! I agree that I've seen it more and more in literary fiction. The problem may be that I'm reading multiple books at once so each time I pick this one up it takes me a few pages to get familiar with it again (similar to what happened to me with "Lincoln in the Bardo").