Science Fiction Aficionados discussion

Wool (Wool, #1)
This topic is about Wool
Monthly Read: Themed > October 2020-Wool

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, space cruisin' for a bruisin' (new)

Maggie K | 1282 comments Mod
Welcome to October and our monthly read, WoolI have this book in my book hoard somewhere, so I finally have a good excuse to read it!

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter Spring is in my air. 26 tomorrow, which is 79 in funny money

REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 2 comments So long since I read it, it'll be like reading anew:)

Rina | 2 comments Yeah, I read it a while back. It reminds me of a short science fiction story that I used to teach my students ten years ago. I do enjoy a sci fi story with a good mystery though.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 233 comments I read this in 2013 with another group. Here’s what I thought of it at the time:

I don't think this is the final justification of Self Publishing, but I also didn't find it as terrible as some others have. I really quite enjoyed the first two installments; Holston and Proper Gauge, both thoughtful little visits to an alien world shown through the eyes of the very human people living there, coping with the eternal themes of life no matter what the setting.
But as the greater story arc picked up pace and the 'what happens next' and the 'why is it like this' takes over from the simpler tales of the people, that was when it stopped being so enjoyable for me.

I quite like the short story form, and feel this could have been better left as a series of vignettes of ordinary life under extraordinary conditions. But no, he had to turn it into a rollicking action adventure mystery thriller sort of thing, getting carried away with his own writing and backstory. Nothing terribly new on the big ideas front, no ground breaking SF twists here I'm afraid.

Not sure whether I'll continue with the series. I liked the characters, but the story telling not so much. We shall just have to wait and see.

Well after waiting and seeing for over seven years I still haven’t gone on to continue the series.

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 17 comments Richard wrote: "I read this in 2013 with another group. Here’s what I thought of it at the time..."

My thoughts are similar. I enjoyed it, mostly in the early parts, but don't want to continue any further.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard (thinkingbluecountingtwo) | 233 comments Rina wrote: "Yeah, I read it a while back. It reminds me of a short science fiction story that I used to teach my students ten years ago. I do enjoy a sci fi story with a good mystery though."

Can you remember what that short science fiction story was called?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wool (other topics)