2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > December Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4118 comments Hi everyone!

It's time to nominate for December the theme is Home.

~Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate.

~Books we have read less than three years ago are not eligble. To see which books are not eligble, see this google sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

This thread will be closed by October 26th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Batul (new)

Batul (batulhs) | 92 comments Hey,
I wanted to nominate A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman.

message 3: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4118 comments Batul wrote: "Hey,
I wanted to nominate A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman."

Great book! Can you please state a connection to the theme?

message 4: by Batul (new)

Batul (batulhs) | 92 comments It’s situated in a neighbourhood so there are many “homes”. And the story is about the relationship between two neighbours, one of them is a grumpy man and the other is a young couple with 2 daughters who move in next door.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1854 comments I would like to nominate Christina Lauren's In a Holidaze. (They wrote The Unhoneymooners.) It is a romance set at the holidays. The connection to home: Maelyn's "home away from home" during the holidays is going away. This is the last time her family will be there celebrating the holidays together with two other families. She is bereft as she drives away from this "homey" snowy Utah cabin for the last time, never to return... Before she knows it, "tires screech and metal collides" and Mae finds herself on an airplane headed toward Utah again... She seems to be in an endlessly repeating time loop. How to get out and get "home" again?

message 6: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 4740 comments Hola!
I'd like to nominate The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary.
Why?
Well the plot is all around a couple who still haven't met yet, but with that proviso, they're sharing a flat, and a bed…
It's the ideal light rom-com to read wrapped up in your favourite blanket on your sofa and clutching a mug of something hot and delicious during a December evening. ;-)

message 7: by Marleen (new)

Marleen | 786 comments I’d like to nominate The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune.
From what I’ve gathered this book is about a man who runs an orphanage, providing a home for a group of unusual, magical children. A book with a strong “found family” trope, I think. A quote from the book: “A home isn’t always the house we live in. It’s also the people we choose to surround ourselves with.”

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ray | 605 comments I nominate Other People's Houses. This all takes place within a single subdivision and three or four people's houses. I think it's a fun take on community and home.

message 9: by Ketutar (new)

Ketutar Jensen | 74 comments I nominate Gone with the Wind
The heart of the book is Tara, Scarlett's home. Everything that happens, happens because of her home, or in her home, or leads to her home. I think it's the most home centered book I have ever read.

message 10: by Theresa (last edited Oct 12, 2020 10:09AM) (new)

Theresa | 304 comments I would like to nominate One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow.

The place that two families call home is in Wyoming, on a prairie.

One husband is dead, one is off to prison and the wives have to come together in order to survive the winter, under one roof.

message 11: by Fadi (new)

Fadi Kharoufeh (fadireads) | 67 comments Hi, what about the namesake Home which I own physically but still haven't read....

I do second the The House in the Cerulean Sea as well.

message 12: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5605 comments Fadi wrote: "Hi, what about the namesake Home which I own physically but still haven't read....

I do second the The House in the Cerulean Sea as well."

Hello Fadi!
Would you like to nominate the book Home or second the nomination of The House in the Cerulean Sea.
You can only choose one option, not both.

message 13: by Keri (new)

Keri Sparks | 297 comments I would like to second A Man Called Ove

message 14: by Eileen (new)

Eileen  | 190 comments I would like to nominate A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets because the main character James and his cat Bob are both HOMEless.

And the story is apparently really heart warming and moving :)

message 15: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4118 comments Marleen wrote: "I’d like to nominate The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune.
From what I’ve gathered this book is about a man who runs an orphanage, providing a home for a gr..."

I'd like to second The House in the Cerulean Sea.

message 16: by Alekhya (new)

Alekhya Suma | 81 comments Ketutar wrote: "I nominate Gone with the Wind
The heart of the book is Tara, Scarlett's home. Everything that happens, happens because of her home, or in her home, or leads to her home. I think it's t..."

I'd like to second Gone with the Wind

message 18: by Sean (new)

Sean (fordest) | 294 comments Fadi wrote: "Hi, what about the namesake Home which I own physically but still haven't read....

Not sure which way Fadi will go here, But I will second Home by Marilynne Robinson if it is nominated and nominate it if it is not.

message 19: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments Fadi wrote: "Hi, what about the namesake Home which I own physically but still haven't read....

Home is the second book in a series so I'm going to count your choice as The House in the Cerulean Sea.

message 20: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments Sean wrote: "Fadi wrote: "Hi, what about the namesake Home which I own physically but still haven't read....

Not sure whi..."

Home is the second in a series and can't be nominated unfortunately.

message 21: by Sean (last edited Oct 08, 2020 08:09AM) (new)

Sean (fordest) | 294 comments Winter wrote: "Home is the second in a series and can't be nominated unfortunately."
..."

Ack! I failed to notice that. In that case, I will nominate The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

It has a home on the The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

and the protagonist is a butler... somebody who works in a home.

message 22: by Vish (new)

Vish (vishnj) | 4 comments Meghan L wrote: "I second The House in the Cerulean Sea."
I second The House in the Cerulean Sea

message 23: by Alyana (new)

Alyana  | 1186 comments I would like to nominate Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult.

message 24: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

message 25: by Violet (new)

Violet Arenburg (sojournersandscrubs) | 18 comments I'd like to second A Man Called Ove

message 26: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine | 355 comments I would like to read A Man Called Ove too.

message 27: by Ann (new)

Ann (hammiam) | 168 comments I nominate Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts...because there's no place like home!

A richly imagined novel that tells the story behind The Wonderful Wizard of Oz , the book that inspired the iconic film, through the eyes of author L. Frank Baum's intrepid wife, Maud--from the family's hardscrabble days in South Dakota to the Hollywood film set where she first meets Judy Garland.

message 29: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6726 comments I second Finding Dorothy

message 30: by Raimondo (new)

Raimondo Lagioia (raimondolagioia) | 119 comments I nominate The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons. It's about a thoroughly evil house that destroys the three families that tried to make it their home, using their very weaknesses against them.

message 31: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments Closing nominations now.

message 32: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4650 comments Link to poll. Go vote for the last read of 2020!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/2...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.