Judy Bolton Fans discussion

The Warning on the Window (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #20)
This topic is about The Warning on the Window
#20: Warning on the Window > Chapter 10: The Warning on the Window - Summary

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Land (williamland) | 1253 comments Mod
Chapter 10: Horace’s Fan

That evening Judy goes to the hospital for her five-minute visit with Peter. Looking at him lying there so still and white, Judy remembers the events of the day beginning with their early morning time at the Dry Brook Hollow house. This is a good recap because so much has happened that it is hard for the reader to remember that it is still the same day, just as Judy has a hard time thinking that it is still the same day that started so wonderfully. Judy runs into Honey on the way back to her parents’ house and they exchange news. Honey ends the conversation by telling Judy how well she can handle things. Later that night Judy wishes everyone didn’t think she was so brave. Isn’t that how it is in real life? We look stronger than we are or we assume people are handling difficulty much better than they really are.

The next morning Judy’s father suggests that she keep busy to help her deal with the situation. Horace also remembers why the name Draycott seems familiar to him; a man by the same name came into the newspaper office to find out about the covered bridge by Stinkin’ Springs that crosses Dry Brook Hollow. Horace had written a piece about it for the “Historical Landmarks” series and now his co-workers tease Horace about his “fan.” Judy finds this extremely interesting because that bridge is near the housing development.

Horace puts forth the theory that someone is trying to put Arthur’s company, Ace Builders, out of business. Judy’s mother mentions that Peter put the old Roulsville Development Company out of business suggesting that he may have an enemy from a former worker there. (The Unfinished House) With these theories to follow, Judy asks Roberta for her clue, thinking the black plastic piece belongs to Horace’s fan. Now, I don’t see how Judy makes this connection as it seems random to me. However, as I reread this book for the umpteenth time, I see how wonderfully Margaret sets up the plot and clues.

message 2: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1057 comments

Later that night Judy wishes everyone didn’t think she was so brave. Isn’t that how it is in real life? We look stronger than we are or we assume people are handling difficulty much better than they really are...."

I was thinking about this principle recently.

message 3: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 408 comments You are really right about the recap. There has been so much happening.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 187 comments So true. After my son died, I spent the next year with a whirling tornado in my body. But I managed to conduct my life and even got enrolled in school for my masters. Much later, I read an essay my daughter had written, in which she said that what kept her going was watching her mom and seeing how brave she was. I truly was on auto pilot.

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1057 comments Later that night Judy wishes everyone didn’t think she was so brave. Isn’t that how it is in real life? We look stronger than we are or we assume people are handling difficulty much better than they really are."

Tonight, I was reflecting on times when I have also experienced the opposite. Decades after a couple events, I have had people tell me they knew how much I was hurting when I thought everyone was clueless.