Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM 1 - November 2020 - The Many Sins of Lord Cameron

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4088 comments Mod
Discussion thread for the First BOTM of November 2020. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions.)

Happy Reading!

The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3) by Jennifer Ashley
The Many Sins of Lord Cameron by Jennifer Ashley

He is a man of simple tastes—and complex pleasures...

Cameron Mackenzie is a man who loves only horses and women—in that order—or so his mistresses say.

Ainsley Douglas is a woman with a strong sense of justice and the desire to help others—even if that means sneaking around a rakish man's bedchamber.

Which is exactly where Cam finds her—six years after he caught her the first time. Only then, she convinced Cam she was seeking a liaison, but couldn't go through with it because of her husband. Now a widow, she's on a mission to retrieve letters that could prove embarrassing to the queen. Cam has no interest in Ainsley's subterfuge, but he vows to finish what they started those many years ago. One game, one kiss at a time, he plans to seduce her. And what starts out as a lusty diversion may break Cam's own rules—and heal the scars of a dark and damaging past..

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 358 comments I'm in. I've ust finished reading book 2 so I could catch up

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana | 80 comments surprisingly, my library has this so I'm in

message 4: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2270 comments I've read books 1 through 9 of this series. Book 1 is my favorite, followed by book 8. I own Book 2. Not sure if I'm ready for a reread of book 3.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy  Malory  (vivienne90) | 82 comments I will be joining for this one

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments Mamacita wrote: "I'm in. I've ust finished reading book 2 so I could catch up"

I've read (and liked) Book 1. Should I try and read Book 2 before we start the BOTM read? Or not essential?

message 7: by T. (new)

T. Rosado (trosado) | 166 comments Jan wrote: "Mamacita wrote: "I'm in. I've ust finished reading book 2 so I could catch up"

I've read (and liked) Book 1. Should I try and read Book 2 before we start the BOTM read? Or not essential?"

It's essential if you're like me and have to read in order. Lol!

I read the second book earlier this month and while I liked it okay, I don't think it's necessary to read before the next book. Cameron is in a few scenes that kind of set up his backstory and personality, but I assume the author will reiterate most of that in his book.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments Thanks T.

message 9: by Missy (new)

Missy | 1115 comments I've been wanting to reread this book.

message 10: by Merry Jewelhound (new)

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 531 comments My library is still not open. This week they have started making appointments for 45 min slots. I ordered this book about a month ago. Picked it up from the drive thru library and wondered why I got it out of order last week. Thought oh well I'll go ahead and read it and return it as the return box is only open 3 days a week. NOW I remember all.....

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 358 comments Merry Jewelhound wrote: "My library is still not open. This week they have started making appointments for 45 min slots. I ordered this book about a month ago. Picked it up from the drive thru library and wondered why I go..."

Lol, I almost read it early too. . I used it as part of my PTP challenge oh, but the good thing about that challenge is you can use it as a selection for that week but don't have to read it. If I would have used it on my SS challenge I would had to go ahead & read early.

message 12: by Merry Jewelhound (new)

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 531 comments Tomorrow I am ready to start the discussion!

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments It's already 1 Nov here in Australia, and I've just cracked the (virtual) covers of this one. I didn't end up reading the previous book, but hopefully it will be fine as a standalone.

I'm enjoying the opening scene. I like that (view spoiler)

I definitely want to read on.

message 14: by Merry Jewelhound (last edited Nov 01, 2020 06:47AM) (new)

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 531 comments I have returned the book so am going by memory (which as shown above is faulty). The opening of the book really grabbed me and the first night I stay up reading until midnight. (view spoiler)

message 15: by Cath (new)

Cath | 284 comments Jan wrote: "I'm enjoying the opening scene...I definitely want to read on...."

Me too, Jan. I finished Ch 1 and I'm definitely hooked.

I already have a feeling I like Ainsley, just from this chapter so that's good. And I want to know what Phyllida's up to.

As Ainsley busily seeks a solution to her dilemma, I laughed at the image (view spoiler)

I'm also very intrigued by the reference (view spoiler)

message 16: by Merry Jewelhound (new)

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 531 comments This is just a comment on Queen Victoria. I have been surprised in reading more books on the Victorian era the less I like her. I have watched the PBS series Victoria and adored it.

message 17: by Ana (new)

Ana | 80 comments I have started reading today. The first chapter was indeed interesting and I think it was a great idea to only tell us about what had occurred six years before in chapter 2. I like the way they interact and even if I'm not generally a fan of insta-lust, the intense chemistry between them works in this one. I have not read (yet) The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie but I have heard about it often enough to know he is a very special individual and now I actually like him. I've also grown very fond of the other secondary characters so I think I'll have a long relationship with this series

message 18: by Missy (new)

Missy | 1115 comments @Merry Jewelhound, I thought I was the only one who is beginning to dislike Queen Victoria based on the Victorian HRs I've read thus far! lol

This is a reread for me, and now I remember why I had wanted to reread this book. The chemistry, sexual tension, and seduction scenes are so swoon-worthy! In addition, I, too, believe the first couple of chapters are well-written. I had no trouble being drawn back into these characters and their world.

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments Yeah it's easy to get sucked right into this book. I started yesterday and very quickly read to 33%. (End of Chapter 9) I had tired eyes last night and had to stop reading LOL.

Cath I agree with your spoilers. I like the writing. The opening scenes were well done, and I like the characters too. Ana, I'm also feeling like I will want to read other books in the series. Apart from this one, I've only read Book 1 so far but I'm wondering why I left the rest of the series so long.

Chapter 9 spoiler (view spoiler)

message 20: by Merry Jewelhound (last edited Nov 02, 2020 05:09AM) (new)

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 531 comments I look forward to reading the book on Lord Ian. Since I finished these are my thoughts on the entire book. (view spoiler)

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments I'm just over half way through now, and still enjoying it. Finished Chapter 14.

Chapter 14 spoiler (view spoiler)

I’m still liking Ms Ashley’s writing style and I still like both Ainsley and Cam. I haven’t read that many highlander books, but I must admit I’m enjoying all these men in kilts. *fans self*

This book clearly fits the 'large family' trope too. That's good. I like this aspect of the book, and the relationships between the siblings etc.

message 22: by Missy (new)

Missy | 1115 comments I'm at 80+%. I was under the impression that this book had a mystery in it since Ian and Mac's books had a mystery in them. If anyone is into mystery books, I know Jennifer Ashley also writes them.

(view spoiler)

I recall liking Hart's book the least out of the Mackenzie brothers, but now I'm tempted to reread it just because of that brief scene of him and Eleanor at the train station. Plus, his right-hand man, David Fleming, has his own book (A Rogue Meets a Scandalous Lady) that came out last year. Since I don't recall David's character at all, I'd like to reread Hart's book before I read David's.

message 23: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2270 comments Missy wrote: "I'm at 80+%. I was under the impression that this book had a mystery in it since Ian and Mac's books had a mystery in them. If anyone is into mystery books, I know Jennifer Ashley also writes them...."

Of the brothers' stories, The Duke's Perfect Wife was also my least favorite. I never finished out books 10 and 11 of the series. I think I'll do that next year.

message 24: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments Interesting. I am now tempted to read this series, and I liked the possibilities of Hart and Eleanor in that scene you mentioned Missy. I've just read that scene, actually. (I'm part way through Chapter 18). A pity their book may not be that great. Bummer. Oh well. I may go back to the beginning some time and try the lot of them (if they're not too expensive on kindle).

Chapter 18 spoiler (view spoiler)

message 25: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2270 comments What is our trope for November again - true rakes?

message 26: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments Mariana wrote: "What is our trope for November again - true rakes?"

I thought it was large families.

message 27: by Ana (new)

Ana | 80 comments I finished the book yesterday evening; then I downloaded Hart and Eleanor's story from the library and was up till three a.m. Finished that one too today, I really enjoyed it. Since there are a lot of books in the series I feel it's just the start of a rabbit hole for me. I have holds on Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage and The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie. The funny thing is I generally don't like Highlander books (exception being When a Scott Ties the Knot and apparently these ones). Anyhow, back to book we are discussing here, I obviously liked it. There were a lot of elements I found lovely:
- Daniel's relationship with his father and with the other family members
- the love the brothers have for each other and how well their wives fit into the family (the fact that Isabella and Beth both acted as hostesses for Hart was very nice of them even if their husbands complained)
- Ainsley was a strong character and a good balance of passionate and logical
- the fact that Cam (view spoiler)
- I really liked that Ainsley did not give up but also didn't push too hard when she wanted to get Cam to trust her
- Queen Victoria comes off as a a real b...ch in this series
- Phyllida (view spoiler)
- the amount of heat was just what I like and the chemistry was there
I am now off to drink some chamomile tea and simmer down before I impulse buy all eleven books on kindle and stay up until the week-end

message 28: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2270 comments Jan wrote: "Mariana wrote: "What is our trope for November again - true rakes?"

I thought it was large families."

Oh, yes, that's it. I couldn't remember. I started reading both books, and that was the first commonality that came to mind.

message 29: by Missy (last edited Nov 03, 2020 08:49PM) (new)

Missy | 1115 comments @Ana, I'm so glad you enjoyed the series so far. It's become one of my favorite HR series.

I, too, liked that Ainsley didn't give up on Cam but didn't push too hard either. Another funny scene was when she (view spoiler)

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments Ana wrote: "I finished the book yesterday evening; then I downloaded Hart and Eleanor's story from the library and was up till three a.m. Finished that one too today, I really enjoyed it. Since there are a lot..."

Good to hear you liked Hart and Eleanor's story, Ana.

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan | 214 comments Mod
Ana wrote: "I finished the book yesterday evening; then I downloaded Hart and Eleanor's story from the library and was up till three a.m. Finished that one too today, I really enjoyed it. Since there are a lot..."

I so understand, once I start a series I generally cannot stop. But I really like to read them in order, so I had to quickly read Ian's and Mac's stories first before I started on this one. Luckily my library had them all. So far it is great and I can see that I will also be going down the rabbit hole..... I actually think it might be the best of the three, but they are all good.

message 32: by Merry Jewelhound (new)

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 531 comments I am glad several have posted the other books in the series are good, I have found series to be sometimes uneven. I did enjoy the couples willingness in this book to work on issues and not have the continuous "miscommunication" that is so often the trope to prolong a story.

message 33: by Padma (new)

Padma | 249 comments A delightful read. Have been reading the other books in the series..A wonderful series indeed

message 34: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments I finished the book last night. I enjoyed it and gave 3.5 stars. It would have been 4 stars, but I dropped half a star because for me it dragged a little around the 75-80% mark, although it did pick up again for the last couple of chapters/epilogue.

Ms Ashley has an enjoyable, easy-to-read style, and her main characters are appealing. I agree with others' comments that the amount of chemistry is just right too.

I will definitely consider reading the rest of the series. Susan, you are lucky your library has them all. My library doesn't really have a big range of historical romances, unfortunately.

I think this was a good BOTM choice, and it definitely fitted the large families trope. The large family was a lovely aspect of this read.

message 35: by Patti (new)

Patti | 57 comments I finished this book, and I really enjoyed it. I have not read this series before so I went into it blind, but now I think I'm going to have to read the whole thing!

It's funny, I actually *didn't* think it 100% fit the big family trope with only the 4 siblings, but I guess when you throw in various spouses and offspring it's starting to get there. It's borderline, I guess.

I'm happy someone suggested the book, though, because it definitely sucked me in, and I read through it very quickly.

message 36: by Merry Jewelhound (new)

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 531 comments I think a big family here in the states is now considered 2 lol.

Mamacita aka MawMaw  (mamawantsbedtimestory) | 358 comments Jan wrote: "I'm just over half way through now, and still enjoying it. Finished Chapter 14.

Chapter 14 spoiler Welp, now we know what Cameron wears under his kilt. Nothing! LOL. And then Ainsley boldly says:..."

I loved that quote!

message 38: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I'm really happy to see that many seemed to enjoy this book. It's among my faves. I would have loved to reread, but it does not appear to be in the cards for me. I enjoy the series overall. There is some I like more than others, and I do recommend Daniel's book as well.

message 39: by T. (last edited Nov 19, 2020 07:56PM) (new)

T. Rosado (trosado) | 166 comments I never took the time to come here and comment, since I devoured it so quickly. I finished it on the 4th and quickly moved to True Story. lol.

I loved this book and found it refreshing compared to the first two books. I loved Ian's book, Mac's was okay, and this one was wonderful with very low angst. And no mystery. I'm kind of loving how the author is changing it up in each book.

message 40: by Jan (last edited Nov 19, 2020 08:12PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I'm really happy to see that many seemed to enjoy this book. It's among my faves. I would have loved to reread, but it does not appear to be in the cards for me. I enjoy the series overall. There i..."

My library is able to get some of the books in the series in from other associated libraries, so I'm going to try out some of the other books that way. I did enjoy this one, though perhaps didn't love it quite as much as you did. (I also liked Ian's book which I read a while ago).

message 41: by Amy (last edited Nov 24, 2020 12:49PM) (new)

Amy  Malory  (vivienne90) | 82 comments Am I the only one who didn't really enjoy this one? 🙁 It started of great,witty and funny but for me the storyline and the characters weren't solid.
I didn't like the heroine.She was boring and a lightskirt ready to give herself away on every page.Why would Cam like her?What is the difference between her and all the other women?Sorry I am bot buying it.
I also felt that the author tried to dramatize Cam's personality a lot which in my opinion was unessecery.He could have just been a rake/womanizer and there -Boom!- we are all happy with him getting domesticated.Why did he need to be a martyr?Or a masochist now that I think about it 😑 Control your woman lad 😑
Too much fuss that didn't fuse well.Also the writing was kind of poor :/ Too many steamy scenes to just keep the poor plot going and waaay too boring after the wedding,which came out of the blue btw.This book lacks of consistency and good reasoning 😑😳

message 42: by Merry Jewelhound (new)

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 531 comments Amy wrote: "Am I the only one who didn't really enjoy this one? 🙁 It started of great,witty and funny but for me the storyline and the characters weren't solid.
I didn't like the heroine.She was boring and a l..."

Thinking back to the book I can see your point. I agree about after the wedding. Some of the issues resulted from his youth with his first marriage. I still enjoyed it and plan to read more of the series.

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy  Malory  (vivienne90) | 82 comments Hi Merry!Aw I am planning on reading more myself as well.I really wanna read Hart and Elinor's story and maybe Isabella's later.I don't think I am gonna go further than that though.If you wanna do a buddy read for either,let me know :)

message 44: by EmpK (new)

EmpK | 23 comments Great book in a good series. Having read them all I would say this Is the most balanced book in terms of compelling lead pair. The plot stumbles a bit in last tenth of the book, but still very good.

message 45: by Merry Jewelhound (new)

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 531 comments Amy wrote: "Hi Merry!Aw I am planning on reading more myself as well.I really wanna read Hart and Elinor's story and maybe Isabella's later.I don't think I am gonna go further than that though.If you wanna do ..."

Let me know if and when you read this. Our library just reopened so of course all my books on order came in at once.

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy  Malory  (vivienne90) | 82 comments Merry Jewelhound wrote: "Amy wrote: "Hi Merry!Aw I am planning on reading more myself as well.I really wanna read Hart and Elinor's story and maybe Isabella's later.I don't think I am gonna go further than that though.If y..."
Hi Mary!I have ordered it but it should take like a week to get here.Do you mind starting then?

message 47: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2004 comments My cheeky niece gave me a 2021 calendar called "Kilty Pleasures" for Christmas. Each month has a photo of a hot man in a kilt against a rugged Scottish background. *Phew* Made me think of this book. Ha ha ha.

message 48: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

😂 sounds like a good calendar!