Dresden Files discussion

OP Villain

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Darkcain11 | 324 comments Mod
Mike did reviews on all the Dresden books, he made good stuff. He showed how do you escalate form Ethniu. I get that this was the endgame of the Dresden universe. Ethniu was going through every heavy hitter like it was nothing. How does the apocalypse trilogy escalate from this?

I'm also curious about your opinions on if harry will use Ethniu as an ace in a hole for a future book where he needs muscle or any of the other prisoners minus the British one that we all know will play a part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N5gN...

message 2: by Monica, White Council (new)

Monica T. Rodriguez (monicatrodriguez) | 374 comments Mod
I saw that video. Very interesting, his theory that you'd have to bring in angels to escalate from here - but why not? Angels have been an active part of the Dresdenverse. They could play a role.

But I'm thinking Outsiders. The Titan may be a demi-god, but she's of our world. The Outsiders are precisely that step beyond.

As for the prisoners of Demonreach, I refer you to Jim's own words, where he insists he's a lazy writer. He doesn't create anything he doesn't plan on using.

message 3: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Thinking it over for a bit. How did Jim handle the escalation after Changes? He brought things back down to ground level with Ghost Story. With the title Mirror Mirror I see a book centered around Harry and Thomas. keeping pressure not in a power escalation sense but in emotion.

message 4: by Christian (new)

Christian | 148 comments Escalation still needs to happen else we wouldn’t reach a proper capital A Apocalypse. In all likelyhood the outsiders will pose as a thread to all reality.

message 5: by Darkcain11, Merlin (last edited Oct 15, 2020 07:23PM) (new)

Christian wrote: "Escalation still needs to happen else we wouldn’t reach a proper capital A Apocalypse. In all likelyhood the outsiders will pose as a thread to all reality."

If we have a Dresden and Thomas book which I'm assuming they follow on a lead to find Justine. I don't see anything on par with Eithniu confronting them. I could see an outsider, He who walks beside or a rematch with him who walks behind. Having Harry face his past would be a call back to ghost story.

message 6: by Christian (new)

Christian | 148 comments I think mirror mirror will have more of an “internal” conflict, but finding Justine means confronting nemesis, and that is not really a step down from the titan.

message 7: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Not sure about that. If harry finds a way to exorcise he who walks beside. Won't he be fighting something on par with behind? Let's assume behind is a blunt instrument and besides is a shadow hitter. Nemesis is endgame but besides not sure we wouldn't get him in the next book.

message 8: by Monica, White Council (new)

True, facing down Nemesis/He Who Walks Beside would be big time, b/c it's an Outsider. So that probably means he won't go toe to toe with nemesis just yet. Or maybe they successfully banish him from Justine, but he gets away. On the other hand, Harry has a special ability to resist Outsiders, so maybe he gets to show that off next book.

I think Mike, in his review, was thinking of how JB would escalate for the Apocalypse, not for the next book. So Mirror Mirror would likely chill out a bit, before ramping things up again.

And speaking of these Outsiders, what's with the names? He Who Walks Behind/Beside - and where's In Front guy? I guess he would be Before. Are they thinking, "Too complex for humans to grasp my name"? That's just begging for Harry to rename them Tiny or Ugly or something.

Ok, I'm messing around. But why are they walking before, beside, and before (when Before shows up)? And Darkcain11, why do you think Behind is a blunt instrument and Besides is a shadow hitter - just from their tactics? Just wondering your reasoning. And what does that say about Before - is he the head honcho? I haven't thought about this at all, so I'd like to hear your ideas.

message 9: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

well justin summoned behind. all he did was attack harry seemingly without a plan or anything. A 16 year old harry somehow survived. Bn the other hand beside was in justine for seven years without thomas, Lara or harry knowing.

message 10: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new)

Behind may have thought harry was too weak and thought he'd go down quick.

message 11: by Monica, White Council (new)

Darkcain11 wrote: "well justin summoned behind. all he did was attack harry seemingly without a plan or anything. A 16 year old harry somehow survived. Bn the other hand beside was in justine for seven years without ..."

That makes sense. He would have had to make some basic mistakes for Harry to get the best of him. So maybe He Who Walks Before is the brains behind whatever their end game is. So Justin summoned He Who Walks Behind. I wonder if they became aware who Harry was then. Became aware that he was starborn and therefore a major threat to them. They must have decided to target Harry once they decided he was a threat, whenever that was.

So Nemesis's plan is to destroy reality, right? If Nemesis is He Who Walks Beside, an Outsider, do we think this is the goal for all Outsiders? Are they working together on this? What do we know about this plan?

If they are vulnerable to all starborn, wouldn't they target all starborn? Who do we know are starborn so far? I think I'm forgetting some:
Drakul
Listen
Harry