Read With Me! discussion

The Giver of Stars
This topic is about The Giver of Stars
October 2020 > The Giver of Stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina, Creator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Haigler | 244 comments Mod
Discuss The Giver of Stars here! Please keep discussions spoiler free, considering people read at different speeds! Happy Reading 😊

Alyana I'm currently reading this. :)

message 3: by Tina, Creator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyana Pearl wrote: "I'm currently reading this. :)"

Awesome! How are you liking it so far?

Alyana Using the app and I can't quote a reply. I just started listening on to it (I read it too when I'm on bed) and I haven't found myself into the story yet, I'll give myself a couple more days.

message 5: by Tina, Creator (last edited Oct 16, 2020 06:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyana Pearl wrote: "Using the app and I can't quote a reply. I just started listening on to it (I read it too when I'm on bed) and I haven't found myself into the story yet, I'll give myself a couple more days."

I find that with some books I am hooked from the start, while others take longer. I'm not a big romance reader so I expect it'll be the latter with me as well. We shall see. I am still waiting for my copy from the library. I like to read and listen as well. I hope it comes soon and I can get the audiobook too.

Alyana Tina wrote: "Alyana Pearl wrote: "Using the app and I can't quote a reply. I just started listening on to it (I read it too when I'm on bed) and I haven't found myself into the story yet, I'll give myself a cou..."

I had to stop listening to it. I can't get myself involved in the story. I don't know, it's probably the narrator, she makes it like the story was very slow.

message 7: by Tina, Creator (last edited Oct 17, 2020 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyana Pearl wrote: "Tina wrote: "Alyana Pearl wrote: "Using the app and I can't quote a reply. I just started listening on to it (I read it too when I'm on bed) and I haven't found myself into the story yet, I'll give..."

I understand. Sometimes it's just like that, and life's too short to read something you don't love. I'm kind of the opposite though. Once I start a story I have to finish it. Sometimes I will put a book down and come back to it later, but a book has to be truly awful for me to not pick it back up. Sometimes it's a character thing though. If I truly despise a character it can be enough for me to stop. I've only ever DNF'd two books in my life though. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess lol. I'll let you know if this one makes the list.

Robin | 2 comments i just finished reading this because it was chosen by one of my book clubs. i love historical fiction so i am not surprised that i enjoyed it. yes, it started off a lil slow but it definitely got more interesting as the story went on.

message 9: by Tina, Creator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin wrote: "i just finished reading this because it was chosen by one of my book clubs. i love historical fiction so i am not surprised that i enjoyed it. yes, it started off a lil slow but it definitely got m..."

I actually loved it from the start. I didn't find it slow. Instead I found it relaxing. I liked all of the characters immediately, except the Van Cleves and Annie of course. I love books about books, and libraries, and horses, and historical fiction, so unless the author messed up royally, I was bound to love it--and I did. I'm curious though because I recently read that a book had come out earlier that year, with the same premise and many of the same plot points, so I'm going to be reading that one as well, as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Robin | 2 comments i only found it a little bit slow in the beginning but really enjoyed it and grew to like most of the characters and story as it went on. the other book is called the book woman of troublesome creek, which i am reading right now. ironically both of my book clubs chose these two books this month so i am reading them back-to-to back. while there is definitely a similar premise and plot lines being historical fiction based on a true story, the stories are different enough that i dont feel like i am reading the same book all over again.

message 11: by Tina, Creator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin wrote: "i only found it a little bit slow in the beginning but really enjoyed it and grew to like most of the characters and story as it went on. the other book is called the book woman of troublesome cree..."

Yep. That's the one. I'm currently 4th in line to get my copy of The Woman of Troublesome Creek from the library. I'm surprised that your book clubs chose these in the same month, but I'm glad you feel like the books are different. That would be a shame if you had to read the same book back to back. You'll have to let me know if you prefer one or the other. Depending on if I can get a copy of it in time, it might be one of our books for January :)