Addicted to YA discussion

Stand Alone > Cinderella Is Dead

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5291 comments Mod
This discussion will be lead by Laasya. The discussion leader will be here to help keep the conversation going. Look out for comments and questions the discussion leader might make and respond back to them!

message 2: by ClaraBelle (new)

ClaraBelle (elsiecorriedale) I read it but DNF it as I didn’t like how dark it was.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane (heatherluna) | 139 comments i just finished this the other day and i really liked it. the controlling men parts were hard to read but i pushed through bc i knew they'd fix it

message 4: by tia (new)

tia (t_luvsreading) | 143 comments I can't wait to read this!

message 5: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments I am going to read this book soon as one of my friends suggested and will join the discussion too.
p.s. waiting for the friend to join as well ;-)

message 6: by Fabitha (last edited Oct 04, 2020 07:41AM) (new)

Fabitha | 64 comments @Rushali I was waiting for you ahah! I read this book last month and I liked it!

It was dark yes, but I've read darker honestly (next I read The Year of the Witching and I had to take down the darkness of Cinderella at least two notches - that was frightening), it was an interesting retelling of the classic tale. I'd have never tought of it!

Can't wait to discuss this book with everyone! ^^

message 7: by Dorien (new)

Dorien (confettiandbooksgalore) | 9 comments This book sounds interesting... I think Ill start reading it in a few days so I can join the discussion :)

message 8: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments @Fabi Haha! I am going to start soon...

message 9: by Dorien (new)

Dorien (confettiandbooksgalore) | 9 comments Started reading today!

message 10: by LaNise (new)

LaNise (blacklivesmatter) What's a good place to find this book? I really want to read it but I can't find it anywhere.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to start reading this either later tonight or tomorrow!

message 12: by Dorien (new)

Dorien (confettiandbooksgalore) | 9 comments @LaNise I don't know where you are from, but maybe Bookdepository is an option?

message 13: by Fabitha (new)

Fabitha | 64 comments Anyone else started reading?

I'm too excited! Do you like Sophia? What do you think of the blurb, is it original for you?

Sorry of I ask not being the leader, I'm too curious! I'm reading a lot of books that I have no one to speak about at home, due to linguistic barriers or different preferences, so I'm SO happy to be able to share opinions!

message 14: by Dorien (new)

Dorien (confettiandbooksgalore) | 9 comments @Fabitha I started reading! Currently at page 250 :D I actually do like Sophia! There is one thing that I dont like, but im not sure if we can allready talk about this due to spoilers? This is my first time in a discussion read so i dont know the rules :D

message 15: by Fabitha (new)

Fabitha | 64 comments I believe that's for the leader to manage, so I wouldn't talk about it for now ;)

(but I have smth also ahahah)

I see you are reading fast as I was!
I think this one is very easy on the eyes, keeps you going without noticing. I'm kinda slow with the one I'm currently reading so I recall a big difference (and I say this in a neutral way because I enjoy a fast read as well as a slow burn one)

message 16: by Dorien (new)

Dorien (confettiandbooksgalore) | 9 comments @Fabitha I thinks that would be safest, yes :) It really is a fast read... I keep reading and keep wanting to know what will happen next and suddenly im 50 pages further without noticing :D Could be even faster, but im reading between my job and my two kids so im reading in the little free time I can get :D (Also im sorry if my english sounds weird, but im belgian so english isnt what I usually write :D )

message 17: by Erica (new)

Erica | 213 comments @Fabitha @ Rushali my copy just came in from the library so I'm starting today.

message 18: by Fabitha (new)

Fabitha | 64 comments @Dorien I am Italian so I know the struggle is real! You're doing great! Also, kudos for keep reading in a very busy life!

@Erica love to have you on board! ❤️

message 19: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments @Erica Great! So when are you going to start reading? I might start by next week as I am currently reading The Bear and the Nightingale.

message 20: by Erica (last edited Oct 10, 2020 07:52PM) (new)

Erica | 213 comments I started right after posting. I can wait for you if you want.

message 21: by Erica (new)

Erica | 213 comments Dorien wrote: "@Fabitha I thinks that would be safest, yes :) It really is a fast read... I keep reading and keep wanting to know what will happen next and suddenly im 50 pages further without noticing :D Could b..."

I'm not very far in but I agree that the book sucks you in.

message 22: by Erica (new)

Erica | 213 comments Dorien wrote: "@Fabitha I started reading! Currently at page 250 :D I actually do like Sophia! There is one thing that I dont like, but im not sure if we can allready talk about this due to spoilers? This is my f..."

If you're concerned about spoilers click the link at the top right corner of the comment window for instructions on how do (view spoiler)

message 23: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments @Erica No problem, you continue with it. I will catch up soon and then we and @Fabi and probably others will discuss it...
sooo excited!!

message 24: by Dorien (new)

Dorien (confettiandbooksgalore) | 9 comments Just finished it a minute ago... I really loved it! I was in a bit of a reading slump, but I gave it a chance anyway and im so happy I did. I enjoyed it so much and wanted to continue reading it, Ive spend all my free time reading, even in the care right before going into work, just i wanted to know what would happen next... I won't discuss the book untill everyone finishes it so I wont spoil anything, but I really hope you all enjoy it as much as I did ❤

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm hoping to finish this tonight! @Dorien I was in a little slump too but this book is helping to get me out of it :)

message 26: by Erica (new)

Erica | 213 comments Add me to the list of people who've finished the book.

message 27: by Erica (new)

Erica | 213 comments Fabitha wrote: "Anyone else started reading?

I'm too excited! Do you like Sophia? What do you think of the blurb, is it original for you?

Sorry of I ask not being the leader, I'm too curious! I'm reading a lot ..."

Definitely liked Sophia. I would not deal well with that society.
Cinderella is a my favourite fairy tale due to my childhood love of the Disney movie. That being said the fairy tale has many flaws that the author acknowledged with her world building. So the blurb drew me in for sure.

message 28: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments Hey peeps! Count me in. I have just started flipping through the novel.

message 29: by Laasya (new)

Laasya Allam ☾ | 180 comments Good to know everyone's enjoying, I myself have not gone very far though my every free moment is huddled with a book!!!

message 30: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments I just completed the first chapter and well... it seems interesting. Let's see where this leads to..

message 31: by Fabitha (new)

Fabitha | 64 comments Erica wrote: "Fabitha wrote: "Anyone else started reading?

Sorry of I ask not being the leader, I'm too curious! I'..."

Yes! I think it's safe to say that the society depicted is one we can easily see sprouting from the original fairy tale. The fact that (view spoiler) <--- I chose to cover this but if you had read the first chapter it's safe for ya.

I like that Sophia is (view spoiler) <--- this is actually something I think I developed over the course of the book so maybe less safe.

message 32: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments I completed the second chapter and the rules laid by the king hits me in the wrong way.. Is it only me who finds this society very male dominated?

message 33: by Laasya (new)

Laasya Allam ☾ | 180 comments I agree, brooo! So far he seems like such an overpowered misogynistic man.... but we don't know his story yet

message 34: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments @Laasya Yeah! Are we on the same page in the story?

message 35: by Laasya (new)

Laasya Allam ☾ | 180 comments IDK, what page are you on?? I'm reading it as an ebook (which I don't loveee).....

message 36: by Erica (new)

Erica | 213 comments Yeah the villain of the book is the king/patriarchy.

@Fabitha I too found Sophia to be (view spoiler)

message 37: by Rushali (last edited Oct 16, 2020 05:19AM) (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments Laasya wrote: "IDK, what page are you on?? I'm reading it as an ebook (which I don't loveee)....."

I am also reading from an Ebook. And I am on chapter 3 currently. What about you?

message 38: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments Erica wrote: "Yeah the villain of the book is the king/patriarchy.

@Fabitha I too found Sophia to be [spoilers removed]"

Oh I can see that already. It's very clear in the book from the very first chapter that the kingdom is very stereotypical and the king is the villain. How did you find this book to be overall?

message 39: by Erica (new)

Erica | 213 comments I really liked how the author played with the Cinderella story. I disliked how quickly the main character forgot about other characters in the middle of the book. This made the middle lag. She did redeem herself by the end for me.

message 40: by Laasya (last edited Oct 16, 2020 07:20PM) (new)

Laasya Allam ☾ | 180 comments Hey everyone, just a quick question to keep the discussion going.... If you are in the middle of the book what do you feel about Sophia, what type of character is she. And think about Erin (I haven't gone very far so I'm asking questions within my range of "knowledge"), what is her relationship with Sophia. And add anything else you want (especially about Majesty Mysoginist).
And for those of you who have finished (and are making me look terrible) is this your favorite book??, what would change if you said no?? And explain your rating more (add links to rating please). Oh and of course add anything else you want.
So far I really enjoy the book, I repeat I'm not very far.... I actually apologize for that because my school like recently started I'm trying to figure out how to deal with others outside my little bat cave.

message 41: by Dorian (new)

Dorian Haviliard♕ Laasya wrote: "Hey everyone, just a quick question to keep the discussion going.... If you are in the middle of the book what do you feel about Sophia, what type of character is she. And think about Erin (I haven..."

Sophia is okay, I wish she had a little more character though?

message 42: by Erica (new)

Erica | 213 comments This was a 3 star read that probably would be a 2 if it wasn't a retelling of Cinderella. For Cinderella retellings that I've read Cinder is the best/one to beat. (Cinder deals with a worldwide deadly plague so probably the series to avoid this year)
Sophia is a uncompromising and somewhat immature main character. She is very emotionally intelligent when talking about her feelings for Erin and others. It was her choices that were more immature to me. I enjoyed the end of the book where Sophia learns about Cinderella's life after she marries Prince Charming. I'm not sure what I would change to improve it.

message 43: by Fabitha (last edited Oct 17, 2020 07:09AM) (new)

Fabitha | 64 comments @Laasya: I'm sorry, I never meant that D: I read this book before it was even picked ^__^''' and I was super happy because like I said I have no one home to talk this about and I really enjoy this panels where you exchange views on books since it allows everyone to think deeper into the stories and find things they may have missed otherwise! I hope all is good with you starting school again and I completely understand the issues that may come with leaving the bat cave after so long (I had to deal with a couple of very unpleasant moments myself)

I think that while is made clear that Erin and Sophia have a relationship that exceedes friendship, it's not really shown in the book. We are merely told that they are supposedly in love and Sophia is willing to fight for being able to live it in the light.
I kinda felt that Sophia's hatred for the entire society situation may be initially love-related, but then it's the sense of injustice in general that keeps her going. Or maybe I'm reading too much into this ahahah

I rated 3 stars, but as Erica said, could have been as easily 2. I feel like the idea is gorgeous, but the actual execution falls a little short. Sophia really makes some very questionable choices that are behind her 16 years to me, sometimes she feels waaay younger and naive than she should be. I hoped for a development very early in the story that didn't present itself (and I know I'm not the only one) but it's ***major*** spoiler so I'll cover it, and it's related to my answer to Erica below.

That said, I liked the book, it was very enjoyable and sure for young readers is very appropriate, given the themes it presents in an unmistakable way - patriarchy, violence on woman, lgbt+ rights, etc. We need this, sorely. So I add a star because we have to talk about this and we have to teach our young to stand and fend for themselves and who they are. I'll never have enough of this.

@Erica: YES. I hoped that (view spoiler). Also, I'm now checking Cinder because after reading The Stand I'm not afraid of anything on the horrible plague side, ah! XD
Edit: OMG a sci-fi retelling of Cinderella? Girl, you have my deepest gratitude.

message 44: by Laasya (new)

Laasya Allam ☾ | 180 comments @Fabitha don't sweat it. My school is the most boring thing ever. Also, I am glad some people completed the book. Their comments answer my question as I go along with the book. It is great to see from another's mind. I also loved your response, it had great detail. The book isn't too bad so far... I agree the way they project Sophia makes me think she is at least 12 years old, not a 16-year-old. Everyone's responses have been great so far because my hopes aren't going too high...
Thanks everyone!!
P.S. I also love how we can exchange how we feel about the books, I am the only one at home who actually reads and my friends don't read as much or share the same taste!!

message 45: by Erica (last edited Oct 17, 2020 12:16PM) (new)

Erica | 213 comments Fabitha wrote: "@Laasya: I'm sorry, I never meant that D: I read this book before it was even picked ^__^''' and I was super happy because like I said I have no one home to talk this about and I really enjoy this ..."

I hope you like Cinder whenever you get around to reading it. There are 4 books in the series and each is a different retelling but Cinder is my favourite although most people seem to really love Cress. I also picked up The Girl in Red by Christina Henry if you're not afraid of a plague retelling.

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Fabitha (last edited Oct 20, 2020 04:46AM) (new)

Fabitha | 64 comments @Erica: post apocalyptic Riding Red Hood...you keep hitting me right in the feels ahahah! Duly noted (so many books! I have to speed up the Priory I'm reading). Have you ever read The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter?

About your answer (view spoiler)

About Cinderella, I'd like to spend some more thought about the society structure and the King role, I hope I'll stay spoiler free but it's difficult to remember what's in each chapter XD

This can be triggering for some people I think (I mean, it is for me), so I'll cover it. It's spoiler free but it heavily relates to the women condition around the world. It doesn't have strong words, but they are pretty much implied.

(view spoiler)

As for the King, I've come to think that he is meant to embody the toxic maschilism at its worst: he thinks he is entitled to everything, he regards women as little more than nice objects and he doesn't even know why. It is what it is, and it's very easy to live like that, uh?
Obviously, when someone abuse a position of power, they are very much aware it's unfair, that's why they can't stand the titniest bit of dissent. They know it would make their fragile card castle waver and crumble. This can happen also in little groups of people, and I think it's nice to see this kind of dynamic unravel, so that we can maybe be aware of it in various settings of our lives.

message 47: by Laasya (new)

Laasya Allam ☾ | 180 comments @Fabitha and @Erica,
Cinder sounds like such a great book, my need-to-read list is getting way long.... everyone's responses sound so good!! I'm currently reading like 6 books at a time but thoroughly enjoying Cinderella is Dead.

Also, if you didn't like/love this book, why and what would you change?? If you already said that, then if you have the time, write fanfiction for it and post the link in the discussion?? But, only if you have time. I will go around and read them, don't be shy!! Also, I am really hoping for more responses, so yeah... Thanks for taking the time to read this freakishly long message!! See ya

message 48: by Rushali (new)

Rushali Gupta (happy_soul) | 108 comments It's very dark and I am not sure I am liking this book, though I like the determined Sophia, her adamant nature to go even against her parents and the king(whom she doesn't cares for) for who she is and who she wants to be. I also like her kickass attitude. Luke also appeared to be brave and good hearted as far as I am in the story, would like to see what turns out of him.

message 49: by Shay (new)

Shay (shaybrawner) I finished this a few days ago and I just keep thinking about it! It was so good, I gave it 5 stars.

message 50: by Erica (new)

Erica | 213 comments Anyone have a favourite character and/or quote they want to mention?
I think my favourite character would be Constance. But that is skewed from Sophia's perspective.

« previous 1