Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive 2021 Authors > 2020 October Time Reads: Black Cat, Carmilla & Rosemary's Baby

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 5709 comments Mod
Classic Theme Reads for October

Your choices are:
The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe (24 pages)
Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu (108 pages)
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (308 pages)

Just let us know what your reading along with your comments under this thread.

"Camilla has a Black Cat that Rosemary and Guy are cat watching for! lol"

Which one or all are you reading??

message 2: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 951 comments It has to be the Black Cat first - just don’t tell my cat!

message 3: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8436 comments Mod
I will be reading The Black Cat.

I read Rosemary's Baby in high school when it was first published. It is a strange and creepy book.

message 4: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Trisha wrote: "It has to be the Black Cat first - just don’t tell my cat!"

Hahahaha!

I too plan on reading Black Cat which goes well with my fur baby Luna who is black as well :)

message 5: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2114 comments After reading The Black Cat, you may look at your pets differently. But I will risk it !

message 6: by Jean (new)

Jean I'm going to read The Black Cat and Carmilla.

message 7: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert | 814 comments Reading The Black Cat And Other Stories by Edgar Allan Poe. This includes the following tales:The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar; The Imp of the Perverse; THE BLACK CAT; The Tell-Tale Heart; The Premature Burial; The Oblong Box; MS Found in a Bottle; A Descent into the Maelstrom; and, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket.

message 8: by Jazzy (last edited Oct 03, 2020 03:09PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) I have listened to the audiobook of The Black Cat today and the narrator is a right bastard! If you love animals, I don't recommend this book.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1225 comments I listened to the Black Cat. It was gruesome. Poe writes some creepy stuff.

message 10: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Maybe I'll pass on that one then and read The Cats of Ulthar by H.P. Lovecraft instead. You can tell that he likes cats.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1225 comments That story is in my collection of Lovecraft, Rosemarie. I think I'll try that one.

message 12: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 951 comments Kathy wrote: "I listened to the Black Cat. It was gruesome. Poe writes some creepy stuff."

Thanks for the warning - I’ll read something else instead!

message 13: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Rosemarie wrote: "Maybe I'll pass on that one then and read The Cats of Ulthar by H.P. Lovecraft instead. You can tell that he likes cats."

oh yes, he loves cats, and that was a much better story!

message 14: by Jean (new)

Jean I'm in the minority, I enjoyed it.

message 15: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

That's good to hear, Jean.

message 16: by Jazzy (last edited Oct 05, 2020 02:13PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) As a university student, I had a lovely black cat once and my neighbour killed him with a hammer. Perhaps that coloured my interpretation of the story.

message 17: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

That is so sad, Jazzy. 😿

message 18: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Yes it was absolutely heart-wrenching

message 19: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Jean wrote: "I'm in the minority, I enjoyed it."

Im glad you did. I still plan on reading this one.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1225 comments I'm glad I read The Black Cat, and I appreciate how Poe creates "mad" characters. It was a bit hard to listen to since I love my Kitty!

message 21: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Kathy it sound like the feelings I had when I read Cujo by Stephen King.

message 22: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I will just have to reread The Black Cat since there are such mixed opinions.

message 23: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) The end was clever for the time but has now become cliched, it is the cruelty I was uncomfortable with.

message 24: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have just finished reading The Black Cat and the narrator got just what he deserved.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1225 comments So true, Rosemarie!

message 26: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert | 814 comments I finished the short stories in this collection of Poe's. The Black Cat seems to have some resemblance to The TellTale Heart and the Cask of Amontillado, the rest serving up a good degree of horror for the season. The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym, after 50 pages is a bore and so I'm moving on.

message 27: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Wise decision, Gilbert. The book is very disjointed and fragmented but it does have some very gory descriptive writing. Poe is much better at short stories--and poetry!

message 28: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert | 814 comments As a result of which, I am moving on to The Murders in the Rue Morgue: And Other Stories also by Edgar Allan Poe. This is a collection of 14 of his short stories

message 29: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Oct 11, 2020 12:40PM) (new)

Poor Pluto! I think the second cat was Karma...
I think he literally lost his mind.

Reading this one now
One Summer Night by Ambrose Bierce

message 30: by Jean (last edited Oct 12, 2020 06:07AM) (new)

Jean I scratched Carmilla. This may be for another time.

message 31: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I like Ambrose Pierce's short stories, Lesle.

message 32: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2114 comments Jean wrote: "I scratched Carmilla. This may be for another time."

I found the book just too long. The film version, "The vampire lovers", is much better.

message 33: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2114 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I like Ambrose Pierce's short stories, Lesle."

I learned that his nickname was Bitter Bierce. A clever bit of alliteration, but I do not find him bitter, he just had a clear eyed view of human behaviour.

message 34: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert | 814 comments One of the stories in the Poe collection The Murders in the Rue Morgue: And Other Stories is "The Masque of the Red Death".
I strongly urge any and all to read this. Then put this story in context of the world today. Be prepared to be....

message 35: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Great suggestion!

message 36: by Jean (new)

Jean Bernard wrote: "Jean wrote: "I scratched Carmilla. This may be for another time."

I found the book just too long. The film version, "The vampire lovers", is much better."

I'll see if I can find the film version. Thanks!

message 37: by John_Dishwasher (new)

John_Dishwasher John_Dishwasher (johndishwasher) | 72 comments I thought Carmilla was good in parts and awful in others. I was more impressed with it after the GR blurb told me that it influenced Bram Stoker’s version. Maybe Le Fanu’s tale was rougher because he was breaking new ground, in a way. Anyway, I kept trying to pin down some theme driving it and couldn’t. Then I realized that many vampire stories, including Le Fanu’s, share this basic theme: Evil is not neutral. It comes looking for you. And sometimes it is sexy.

message 38: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 13 comments I've just started Rosemary's Baby, Looking forward to a spooky read!

message 39: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Jess wrote: "I've just started Rosemary's Baby, Looking forward to a spooky read!"

Best wishes during your spoky read Jess!

message 40: by John_Dishwasher (new)

John_Dishwasher John_Dishwasher (johndishwasher) | 72 comments The Black Cat is sadistic and unpleasant. Jazzy's right that it's not for animal lovers. And Kathy's word gruesome definitely applies. It was cool though how Poe took the idea of the black cat as a symbol of evil and fleshed it out.

message 41: by Georgina (new)

Georgina (georgiet29) | 239 comments I'd read The Black Cat before and it's not from. I really enjoyed Carmilla though, I did change editions after starting as the first translation I had was awful. It was a free kindle one and it felt like they'd run it through a computer to do it, the Gutenberg edition was good though.
Is anyone reading Rosemary's Baby?

message 42: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Carmilla was written in English, Georgina. But sometimes the free version is edited.

message 43: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I read Rosemary’s Baby in high school when it was first published. I thought it was a very strange book.

message 44: by Georgina (new)

Georgina (georgiet29) | 239 comments Oh no, that’s me showing my lack of literary knowledge again! I don’t know how they managed to do such a bad job then, there were whole paragraphs that just didn’t make any sense.

message 45: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

That’s too bad but I’m glad you found a good version.

message 46: by Gilbert (last edited Oct 28, 2020 03:07PM) (new)

message 47: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 145 comments I read The Black Cat a few months ago and Carmilla this month. I really enjoyed both but preferred Carmilla maybe because I love cats. The only thing that surprised me in Carmilla was the sexual/ erotic aspect (I wasn't expecting it at all).

I think I will save Rosemary's Baby for next year as I have read enough spooky stuff this month.

message 48: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Shaina wrote: "I think I will save Rosemary's Baby for next year as I have read enough spooky stuff this month...."

I get that Shaina! Can only handle so much of that myself.

message 49: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2114 comments Does not the spooky stuff end tonight?

message 50: by John_Dishwasher (new)

John_Dishwasher John_Dishwasher (johndishwasher) | 72 comments Georgina wrote: "Oh no, that’s me showing my lack of literary knowledge again! I don’t know how they managed to do such a bad job then, there were whole paragraphs that just didn’t make any sense."

There were a couple of chapters in the middle of Carmilla where the prose was so bad that I found it literally insulting to read. Your attributing that crap to a translator was generous compared to what I was thinking. But the early chapters were digestible and the later ones. How that could happen is a total mystery to me.

« previous 1