The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

The Night Manager
This topic is about The Night Manager
Group Read Discussions > October Group Read (Spoiler Comments) - The Night Manager by John le Carré

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill This is your thread for spoiler comments for The Night Manager by John le Carré

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 182 comments Hi all welcome to the discussion. I know most are familiar with LeCarre char George Smiley. I am hopping to meet someone as interesting in this book

LeCarre is the perfect person to write espionage novels. He worked for MI5 in the 50's and 60's His career came to an end when Kim Philby betrayed agents cover to the KGB. He admits that one of his chars is based on Philby.

I am just getting started in my reading. I am enjoying the description of the hotel. I love the way even minor chars have personality.

Has anyone here read LeCarre? What are your initial feelings?

He has 5 books adapted into movies.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike (tigermike) | 94 comments John LeCarre is the preimment spy writer dating back to the 60s and his understated Smiley character. Not so much action focused but psychological in a very British way. Most of his better and favourite books are made into films and are very good. My favourite is the Constant Gardner although its a mute point really. I admire LeCarre's adaptation to the changing nuisance of modern spy reality. A constant read of his novels multiple times is enjoyable habit for me.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 182 comments I loved the Constant Gardner. I think the movie was a real good adaptation of the book. I think some of his books don't translate well to the screen.

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 182 comments Well I am enjoying the book. I would love to discuss it. I would enjoy it so much more with others.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 182 comments I did enjoy the book. I hope others did as well. I will continue to look in here if anyone wants to discuss.

Phil Brown | 11 comments I finished the book, and have mixed feelings on it. There were parts that I really enjoyed, primarily the sections on Jonathan and the women he connected with. Other sections were a slog to get through, primarily the sections of the espionage bureaucracy. I found that confusing and frustrating, with no likable characters.

I give it a 3 of 5 overall, 5 for the Jonathan parts, and the ending, while 2 for the bureaucrats section.

Paul Alkazraji | 78 comments Renee wrote: "Hi all welcome to the discussion. I know most are familiar with LeCarre char George Smiley. I am hopping to meet someone as interesting in this book

LeCarre is the perfect person to write espionag..."

I have read it Renee. I have to say that though I enjoyed it, it wasn't my favourite, though the recent BBC adaption of it is highly rated (as was of course The BBC's version of Tinker, Tailor... and Smiley's People). I love those two plus The Honourable Schoolboy books :) The Karla Trilogy.

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 182 comments I think i need to see that series. I have it on hold at my library. It is taking it forever to come in. It is also not my favorite LeCarre,, I missed Smiley. This was okay but not his best

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Alkazraji | 78 comments Renee wrote: "I think i need to see that series. I have it on hold at my library. It is taking it forever to come in. It is also not my favorite LeCarre,, I missed Smiley. This was okay but not his best"

I have tried, agent, Donald, autumn and juice, but couldn't crack it :(

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Night Manager (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

John le Carré (other topics)