Reading List Completists discussion

Gravity's Rainbow
This topic is about Gravity's Rainbow
Gravity's Rainbow - Oct-Dec 2020 > General Discussion - Gravity's Rainbow

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1743 comments Mod
General discussion of Gravity's Rainbow here - there may be some more specific discussion chains breaking out as we go along.

message 2: by Benjamin (new) - added it

Benjamin | 22 comments I have started reading this a while ago. I find it enormously challenging and have to take it very slowly. Not sure I will finish that before the and of the year. At least, I am still determined to keep going.

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

So . . . I have been listening to this one over the past few days. I am definitely referencing some reading guides.

So far, my one word for this book is "gross". This is not a commentary of the quality of the writing or whether I will end up liking it or not, there is just a lot of ewey, cringe-inducing moments so far.

Michael Finocchiaro (fino) | 40 comments Just finished it for the second time. A stupendous book; for my money, the most complex and best-written American novel in the last 50 years. Pynchon was robbed in 1974 when the Pulitzer Board refused him the prize. The story that moved me the most was the Pökler and Ilse episode. So much humor too! Loved it.

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael wrote: "Just finished it for the second time. A stupendous book; for my money, the most complex and best-written American novel in the last 50 years. Pynchon was robbed in 1974 when the Pulitzer Board refu..."

I was reading about the Pulitzer controversy - very interesting! But, I have never put much stock what Pulitzer says ;)

Michael Finocchiaro (fino) | 40 comments As I wrote in this recent blog post, https://mfinocchiaro.wordpress.com/20..., it is hit and miss, but occasionally there are some really great discoveries to be made. But, they blew it on this one!

Michael Finocchiaro (fino) | 40 comments Maybe you reference this elsewhere, but I found this wiki invaluable: https://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki....

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael wrote: "Maybe you reference this elsewhere, but I found this wiki invaluable: https://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki...."

Thank you for the reference guide - that is perfect!

message 9: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael wrote: "As I wrote in this recent blog post, https://mfinocchiaro.wordpress.com/20..., it is hit and miss, but occasionally there are some really great discov..."

Very nice post! Based on the ones I have read, it appears that you and I are generally in agreement.

Michael Finocchiaro (fino) | 40 comments Thanks Matthew, I thought so too!

message 11: by Pooja (new) - added it

Pooja  Jha (poojajha) | 3 comments Michael wrote: "Maybe you reference this elsewhere, but I found this wiki invaluable: https://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki...."

Wow!! This reference is amazing...Never thought such detailed guide would be available....Thanks!!

message 12: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (last edited Nov 25, 2020 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kind of a crazy adventure! Not sure exactly what I read . . . so my review is middle of the road. I know that this book is loved by many, and many others are probably partially or fully confused!

Here is the link to my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Liane | 64 comments Finally trying this read this weekend. Yikes it is slow going.

message 14: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liane wrote: "Finally trying this read this weekend. Yikes it is slow going."

Good luck! I can't say it gets any "faster" but it gets weirder!

message 15: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 150 comments I'm not sure if my brain can handle this one right now, ha ha! I think I'll start with Foundation and see if I can get my brain to adjust to this one. I need to see if I can find a copy....

message 16: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eileen wrote: "I'm not sure if my brain can handle this one right now, ha ha! I think I'll start with Foundation and see if I can get my brain to adjust to this one. I need to see if I can find a copy...."

I actually might be quiet worried if you are successful in adjusting your brain to this one! 😉😂🤪

I just accepted that there was very little I could do but go with the flow and accept the oddness - kind of what I did with Infinite Jest.

message 17: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 150 comments How does it compare to Clockwork Orange. I mean, that was weird, but I honestly enjoyed that one. Of course, it was a fraction of the length of this one, lol!

message 18: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 150 comments I have a lot of books on my plate, but maybe I'll tackle this one for 2021, much like I put off starting Les Mis for the longest time because of the length. In the case of Les Mis, I should have started it much sooner. But for this, I might take my time, ha ha!

message 19: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eileen wrote: "How does it compare to Clockwork Orange. I mean, that was weird, but I honestly enjoyed that one. Of course, it was a fraction of the length of this one, lol!"

No comparison to that - cannot even try. Only comparison is Infinite Jest.

Liane | 64 comments Infinite Jest sounds interesting. I am diverted again...

Ok, on page 57. The first 40 pages were sludge, made no sense, had to set a TIMER to force myself to continue. And although 10 minutes worked the first time (btw, 10 minutes = 2.5 pages?!?), I fell asleep during the subsequent, contiguous attempt. 😳 I took that as my cue to decorate my whole house for Christmas.

That summarizes this book thus far. Also this:

Wait, what’s an Erlenmeyer flask? Huh, borosilicate. Oh, let me google, talk with scientist husband, consider merits of gag gifts of flasks and beakers for various sciency family/friends. Google, Amazon, wait, perhaps US manufacturers?

That said, the last 10 pages have gone much faster. But literally every page has something(s) to research. Interesting but it may take me until St Patty’s Day to finish.