MCMLS Mitchell Fiction Book Club discussion

Gods of Jade and Shadow > Casiopea and Martin

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Librarian Molly | 219 comments Mod
Though they were raised under the same roof, Martin and Casiopea’s perceptions of the world varied greatly. How did these differences serve and/or hinder them?

message 2: by Maxine (new)

Maxine | 176 comments Martin grew up in privilege and Caseopia in an oppressed environment. Martin thought he was king of the hill as the heir apparent of the wealthiest family in town, and Casieopea had to deal with keeping her self worth in a situation where she was constantly attacked and demeaned

Librarian Molly | 219 comments Mod
Martin had a rude awakening when he left their village, and I have to say, it made me a little happy. I kind of loved that he saw how unimportant he was in grand scheme of things.

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Jackson | 51 comments Casiopea was very strong and stood up for herself because of having a harder time growing up. When Martin was taken away from his cushy environment he was afraid & lost.

message 5: by Retta (new)

Retta Brandon | 179 comments What kept spinning this Mayan fantasy for me were cliches of
resilient women or a woman such as Casiopea.
Resilient Woman Mastering The Steps to Personal Power!
To Be Resilient - Turn Up The Volume on Your Inner Strengths!
As the story kept building to the story climax I was cheering for
Casiopea whose bravery out weighed her own self survival even as a human sacrifice for Hun Kame.
Martin was jaded in his character in the beginning and he continued to implode as a weak person seeking materialism over personal growth.

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele (mlbose) | 160 comments Casiopea on the surface seems to have a fighting spirit but really she was raised to sacrifice herself and her happiness for the men (and sometimes women) in her life and in the end that’s exactly what she does for Hun-Kame. Maybe that’s not the best way to look at it but the more and more I think about this story the more I dislike the way Casiopea was portrayed. I do like the way she ultimately handles herself with Martin though.
And he certainly had a rude awakening. He was raised in privilege and felt self-important. Any time that was challenged he just ran back home but now he didn’t have that choice. I think this experience humbled him. I feel like he had more character growth than Casiopea.

message 7: by Kent (new)

Kent  R (kentr33d) | 119 comments Casiopea, if risen to a god, I believe she would be kind-hearted and not dark-hearted as the gods. Martin, on their hand, would more likely be very cruel as current gods.