Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > December 2020 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments December Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

In the interest of variety, please wait a month to renominate a book that has been in the poll. These are the books from November that did not win:

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Ann Jacobs
Epitaph of a Small Winner by Machado de Assis
Gösta Berling's Saga by Selma Lagerlöf
Daisy Miller by Henry James
L'Assomoir by Émile Zola
The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only seven books, by seven different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The seven books with the most seconds move to the poll.

4. Only one nomination and one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for moderator to track changes.

5. Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a. Same author-multiple categories. The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will remain open until the 14th October, polls will open on the 16th and run until the end of the month.

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1761 comments Hunger by Knut Hamsun, 134 pages, first published 1890. Simply because it is a major classic.

"One of the most important and controversial writers of the 20th century, Knut Hamsun made literary history with the publication in 1890 of this powerful, autobiographical novel recounting the abject poverty, hunger and despair of a young writer..."

message 3: by Brina (new)

Brina How about a warm weather location to end the year. I’ll try again for Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen by Liliuokalani.

message 4: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 702 comments I nominate The Warden by Anthony Trollope.

message 5: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Michaela wrote: "I nominate The Warden by Anthony Trollope."

I second this!

message 6: by Jesus (new)

Jesus | 177 comments I second Hunger

message 7: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 702 comments Philina wrote: "Michaela wrote: "I nominate The Warden by Anthony Trollope."

I second this!"

Thanks Philina! :)

message 8: by Aubrey (last edited Oct 01, 2020 07:38AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2627 comments I nominate A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains by Isabella Lucy Bird (pub 1879, 282 pp) and second Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen.

Project Gutenberg has a legal free to download eBook version (three cheers for expired copyright!) of Bird's work here: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/755

message 9: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you Aubrey, I’ll second yours as well. I read it but it’s considered an important development in women’s writing.

message 10: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments There is also a free audiobook for A Lady's Life.

I listened to it earlier this year and I think the narrator did a good job.

https://librivox.org/a-ladys-life-in-...

message 11: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2627 comments Thanks Brina for the second and Philina for the resource :)

message 12: by Annette (last edited Oct 01, 2020 03:22PM) (new)

Annette | 526 comments I'll nominate Nutcracker and Mouse King and the Tale of the Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffmann in 1816. Although there are many versions of both, the Penguin volume linked here also includes the better-known story as adapted by Alexandre Dumas in 1845. A total of 192 pages.

And I will second A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains.

message 13: by Brina (new)

Brina I learn something everyday. I thought this was a Tchaikovsky original story that he set to his timeless music and dance. I already seconded but this sounds fascinating.

message 14: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2627 comments Thanks Annette :)

message 15: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1665 comments Michaela wrote: "I nominate The Warden by Anthony Trollope."

I second The Warden.

message 16: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 564 comments I second The Warden.

message 17: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 442 comments Michaela wrote: "I nominate The Warden by Anthony Trollope."

I too second The Warden

message 18: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 702 comments Thanks Laurie, Shaina and Pyangie for the seconds! :)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 237 comments I'll second Hunger

message 20: by Irphen (new)

Irphen | 479 comments Second Hunger

message 21: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) | 87 comments I second The Warden

message 22: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 702 comments Jeffrey wrote: "I second The Warden"

Thanks Jeffrey! :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Michaela wrote: "I nominate The Warden by Anthony Trollope."

I second this

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) | 512 comments I also second The Warden.

message 25: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 702 comments Thanks Don and Anne! :)

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  Jacobson | 39 comments I second the Nutcracker

message 27: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thanks, Ashley!

message 28: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert I've read A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains and The Warden, both excellent.

My recommendation is Corinne, or Italy by Germaine de Staël 1807 (464 pages).

message 29: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3412 comments Mod
Annette wrote: "I'll nominate Nutcracker and Mouse King and the Tale of the Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffmann in 1816. Although there are many versions of both, the Penguin volume linked..."

Oh!! I second this. I have read so many children's rewritten versions of it.

message 30: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thanks, Lynn!

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen | 48 comments I'll 2nd The Nutcracker.

message 32: by * (new)

* (00000000) I second Hunger

message 33: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thank you, Jen!

message 34: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 85 comments I nominate The Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare, 279 pages.

message 35: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments I second The Winter's Tale.

message 36: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3 comments I second The Nutcracker.

message 37: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thanks, Margaret!

message 38: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 47 comments I second Hunger (despite the World Food Programme having won the Nobel Peace Prize today).

message 39: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1798 comments I will second Hunger.

message 40: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1958 comments I nominate The Egoist by George Meredith
The Egoist by George Meredith

message 41: by George P. (new)

George P. | 576 comments Philina wrote: "There is also a free audiobook for A Lady's Life.
I listened to it earlier this year and I think the narrator did a good job.
https://librivox.org/a-ladys-life-in-......"

I've been listening to my first librivox audiobook - of A Hero of Our Time- and it's reasonably well-read for a non-professional.

message 42: by George P. (new)

George P. | 576 comments I'll second A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains.
I think it will interest me since I live there (Utah).

message 43: by John Dishwasher (new)

John Dishwasher (johndishwasher) | 209 comments I'll second The Nutcracker .

message 44: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2627 comments Thanks George :)

message 45: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thanks, John_D. !

message 46: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3315 comments Annette wrote: "I'll nominate Nutcracker and Mouse King and the Tale of the Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffmann in 1816. Although there are many versions of both, the Penguin volume linked..."

I'll second. I read the Dumas version a few years ago when I learned that it was the version that the ballet was inspired by. I loved it. I purchased this copy and it is so gorgeous. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2....

message 47: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thank you, Sue K H!

message 48: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 125 comments I second Hunger.

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 58 comments I second The Warden

message 50: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 702 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I second The Warden"

Thanks Elizabeth! :)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.