You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Haunting of Hill House
This topic is about The Haunting of Hill House
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > October 2020 - The Haunting of Hill House

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15429 comments One of the group reads for October is The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Ayacchi will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have read the book before or during October 2020.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

A note on discussion: Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc.

In addition to this, the group reads are meant to be a "read along" so it is preferable that you discuss the book as you read rather than wait until you've finished the book.

And finally, discussion is not about just listing your thoughts. Please interact with the other group members, comment on their thoughts, and if they comment on yours, respond to them. This is what makes a good book discussion!

You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.

Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

Ayacchi | 1129 comments I got my copy yesterday. Maybe will start later today :)

Jenn | 2364 comments I read 1-1 and 1-2 last night. (view spoiler) so I'm definitely looking forward to getting back into it tonight. Although, if the chatter about this one is true, I probably shouldn't read this this weekend . . . he's on nights . . . lol

Sandra (sanlema) | 9574 comments I was sure I had this one in my Kindle, but I don't. I requested it to the library. I should get it in a few days.

Vicki | 1124 comments I'm going to stat this on audio in the next couple of days. I'm not sure how immersed in spookyness I'll be with audio. I dont often read horror but I am in the mood for spooky.

Jenn | 2364 comments 1-3 - (view spoiler)
1-4 - (view spoiler)

Jenn | 2364 comments 1-5 - Dun-dun-dun . . . Yep, definitely atmospheric writting 😳

Ayacchi | 1129 comments I read the translation and the first paragraph is kinda hard to read, the words being beyond imagination.

Jenn - reading alone is fine but sleeping alone after spooky read..?
Vicky - I don't know either but I hope it'll turn good! Looking forward hearing your thoughts
Sandra - Hope you get the book! My book last for 4 days so I need to renew it soon

Jenn | 2364 comments Ayacchi, reading alone, sleeping alone, and because my Sean is on nights I'm also sleeping in the spare room so I'm not even in my normal bed 😳

3-3 - (view spoiler)

But, wow, Shirley had a major talent for writting creepy 😳 Seriously, nothing could happen, and I would probably still be checking dark corners - can you tell that this isn't my usual genre . . .

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Jenn wrote: "Ayacchi, reading alone, sleeping alone, and because my Sean is on nights I'm also sleeping in the spare room so I'm not even in my normal bed 😳

3-3 - [spoilers removed]

But, wow, Shirley had a ma..."

Hang in there~ and I hope you'll get company once the story gets 'creepier'.

I read somewhere that she made her great great grandparents' house as a model. She surely had the gut to do it. I wouldn't dare at all

Ayacchi | 1129 comments I started reading it and, phew, short passage. I love it!

If you were invited by (view spoiler)

1-2 to 1-3 (view spoiler)

Steve Perkins | 56 comments Hope to be able to join the discussion this month. The book is really intriguing. I haven't read anything creepy in a while so I'm looking forward to it. My wife Stacy isn't a huge horror fan, but she's going to let me read it to her on the condition she can bail if things get too intense! I think we will have competing goals for this book! :)

Vicki | 1124 comments Steve wrote: "Hope to be able to join the discussion this month. The book is really intriguing. I haven't read anything creepy in a while so I'm looking forward to it. My wife Stacy isn't a huge horror fan, but ..."

Ha, I can just picture her saying "stop, stop" and you just reading louder and more intensely. At least that's what my spouse would do. We tend to only read aloud in the car too so there would be no escape.

Vicki | 1124 comments So unfortunately my audio doesn't break up chapters at all. Just 8 parts so I'm mostly using everyone else's references.

I'm still pretty early about 1-3
(view spoiler)
Old lady (view spoiler)
Audio in general - Yesterday I had to slow it down because my narrator was putting all effort into making the book sound creepy that I couldn't follow the words. I hope I was just distracted and that today will be better.

Vicki | 1124 comments Ayacchi wrote: "I started reading it and, phew, short passage. I love it!

If you were invited by [spoilers removed]
I don't think I would go. A couple of years ago my company booked me a hotel in a small town. When I told the local what hotel I was staying at he freaked out and said it was like a haunted house and I emailed my company so fast to change my hotel. I think I was more afraid of catching a disease or getting murdered then I was of ghosts though.

Renee (elenarenee) | 1633 comments I felt poor Elanor the first time I read the book. By my fourth time reading it I felt different I think it had to do with where I am in my life. I would love to hear how people feel about her by the end of the book.

Vicki | 1124 comments Jenn wrote: "
1-4 - [spoilers removed]"

I found the book in public domain so I can figure out where I am and switch to ebook if I want.

I'm in the middle of 2-2 (view spoiler)

message 18: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2364 comments Ayacchi - Nope, it got creepy, and he's not off shift until Wednesday - not that he would be much help, if he knew what I was reading he'd be going through the house screwing with the lights and doors, just trying to freak me out lol

Vicki - Old lady (view spoiler)

Renee - Poor Eleanor - (view spoiler)

6-2 - (view spoiler)

message 19: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2364 comments I finished this afternoon, and I actually did like it.

(view spoiler)

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Steve wrote: "Hope to be able to join the discussion this month. The book is really intriguing. I haven't read anything creepy in a while so I'm looking forward to it. My wife Stacy isn't a huge horror fan, but ..."

Opposite from Vicki, I imagined you telling the story in a different way so your wife could still enjoy it. But whichever it is, I hope enjoy the book and let's see who'll achieve their goal first ; )

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Vicki wrote: "I don't think I would go. A couple of years ago my company booked me a hotel in ..."

Reminds me of my own experience! I was attending an event and my sister told me to stay at the nearest hotel. But some years ago a man was dead there so I had to stay at the 2nd nearest hotel, which I didn't like even before seeing it. Turned out it's a bad maintained room in the rear end of the building. I don't think it ever be cleaned, at least for months. And the lamp bulb was died as well. The other rooms supposed to be emptied but I heard voices from the next door at nights. Tried to think positively the whole time

Vicki | 1124 comments Ayacchi wrote: "Vicki wrote: "I don't think I would go. A couple of years ago my company booked me a hotel in ..."

Reminds me of my own experience! I was attending an event and my sister told me to stay at the ne..."

Ahhhahah I would not have been able to sleep if I was by myself.

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Vicki wrote: "Ahhhahah I would not have been able to sleep if I was by myself."

Yeah, had a hard time to sleep. Staying at a hotel alone surely is no fun :(

Ayacchi | 1129 comments I just finished part 1. (view spoiler)
What do you think would happen (view spoiler)

Vicki | 1124 comments I have finished 3-3.
I haven't read it in a couple days but having stepped back I realized... (I'm kind of sorry I had this thought as it ruins the spooky vibe I had going.)
(view spoiler)

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Finished part 2. (view spoiler)

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Vicki wrote: "I have finished 3-3.
I haven't read it in a couple days but having stepped back I realized... (I'm kind of sorry I had this thought as it ruins the spooky vibe I had going.)
[spoilers removed]"

This confused me as well. It's either (view spoiler)

Ayacchi | 1129 comments 3-5 (view spoiler)

Steve Perkins | 56 comments Just finished 2-2 and so far Stacy is still with me! :) Though that was put to the test last night. We had just gone to bed and I was reading 2-2 to her by a solitary book light. We were just to the part where... (view spoiler)

I should have some time later this weekend to give some thoughts on the book so far. I'm enjoying a lot already.

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Steve wrote: "Just finished 2-2 and so far Stacy is still with me! :) Though that was put to the test last night. We had just gone to bed and I was reading 2-2 to her by a solitary book light. We were just to th..."

Sorry, but that's funny 😂 Everything can be scary if given an atmosphere and situation. I also challenge myself to read it at night and couldn't sleep well last night, lol.

Looking forward for your another thoughts!

Vicki | 1124 comments Steve wrote: "Just finished 2-2 and so far Stacy is still with me! :) Though that was put to the test last night. We had just gone to bed and I was reading 2-2 to her by a solitary book light. We were just to th..."

That's so funny! Your kid's got great timing :D

Vicki | 1124 comments I have finished 4-3

House (view spoiler)

Dr Montague (view spoiler)

Vicki | 1124 comments 4-5 (view spoiler)

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Vicki wrote: "I have finished 4-3

House [spoilers removed]

Dr Montague [spoilers removed]"

Yes, you can! But make sure (view spoiler)

4-5 (view spoiler)

message 35: by Ayacchi (last edited Oct 09, 2020 06:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Finished part 4 and 4-6 made my back shivered. It's morning here, tho. (view spoiler)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1666 comments I’ve wanted to read something by Shirley Jackson (though I generally avoid horror), and I was happy to find this book available at my library. I started last night, and it’s a quick and easy read. I have reached the end of III-3 (view spoiler)

Ayacchi | 1129 comments TrudyAn wrote: "I’ve wanted to read something by Shirley Jackson (though I generally avoid horror), and I was happy to find this book available at my library. I started last night, and it’s a quick and easy read. ..."

I like it as well, (view spoiler)

message 38: by Katrisa (last edited Oct 09, 2020 10:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katrisa | 2795 comments Renee wrote: "I felt poor Elanor the first time I read the book. By my fourth time reading it I felt different I think it had to do with where I am in my life. I would love to hear how people feel about her by t..."

I agree Renee! I have read this twice now

Katrisa | 2795 comments Vicki wrote: "I have finished 4-3

House [spoilers removed]

Dr Montague [spoilers removed]"

RE: Netflix Series - Just so you know the Netflix series is NOT even trying to be this book. And for the record, I LOVE the Netflix series and enjoyed the book. But the only ties the show has to the book is names and a few references - the plots are NOTHING alike. But if you have read the book and watch the show for its own merits, it's fun to see how they put references from the book in the show

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Katrisa wrote: "
RE: Netflix Series - Just so you know the Netflix series is NOT even trying to be this book. And for t..."

Indeed. I usually don't like when the adaptation 'ruins' the characters or references from the book but I like this one. I'm not done with season 1 but already want to re-watch it again

Vicki | 1124 comments TrudyAn wrote: "I’ve wanted to read something by Shirley Jackson (though I generally avoid horror), and I was happy to find this book available at my library. I started last night, and it’s a quick and easy read. ..."

I agree, I like the group and that the purpose is scientific study, brings a different perspective.

I've finished part 7 (view spoiler)

I'm going to get some popcorn and finish the book tonight. I have been enjoying it a lot and am really looking forward to the rest of it.

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1666 comments I’ve finished the book.

(view spoiler)

Ayacchi | 1129 comments I finished part 5. (view spoiler)

Vicki | 1124 comments Ayacchi wrote: "I finished part 5. [spoilers removed]"

Finished book spoilers (view spoiler)

All in all I did really like it
(view spoiler)

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Vicki wrote: "
I agree, I like the group and that the purpose is scientific study, brings a different perspective.

I've finished part 7 [spoilers removed]..."

Same here. (view spoiler)

message 46: by Ayacchi (last edited Oct 11, 2020 04:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Finally finished it and (view spoiler)

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Vicki wrote: "
Finished book spoilers [spoilers removed]..."

Interesting thought! (view spoiler)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9574 comments This one still appears as "in transit" in my library account. It has been a week already and it's driving me crazy. I think the reason is they quarantine books in between patrons.

Ayacchi | 1129 comments Sandra wrote: "This one still appears as "in transit" in my library account. It has been a week already and it's driving me crazy. I think the reason is they quarantine books in between patrons."

Vicky said it's on public domain so maybe I guess we can read/download it somewhere on net?

Sandra (sanlema) | 9574 comments Is it?? I didn't know that! I will check that right now. Thank you!

« previous 1 3

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Haunting of Hill House (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Shirley Jackson (other topics)