Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

The Graveyard Book
This topic is about The Graveyard Book
Monthly Reading: Discussion > The Graveyard Book-no spoilers, please

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kateblue | 3898 comments Mod
Speak here without spoilers

Sarah Tate | 336 comments I read this book earlier in the year. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read; really fun and charming. Hope everyone likes it!

message 3: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oleksandr Zholud | 3828 comments Mod
I've read it last year. If you want a challenge, the book has enough chapters to read a chapter a day for a month, to end up with Halloween

message 4: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 106 comments I've read this book in 2018 and remember enjoying it.
Gaiman's a real storyteller 😄

Gabi | 549 comments I read it not long ago, but as I already learned in the spoiler thread, I apparently forgot a lot about it. I gave it 4 stars, cause my boys liked it (I was reading aloud).

message 6: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
I'll try knocking this one off real quick so I can join the rest in the Blindsight discussion.

10% in and it's all pretty much the same-old Gaiman-y.

message 7: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kateblue | 3898 comments Mod
I read this some time ago, excellent

Allan Phillips | 2175 comments Mod
I too read this a couple years ago. I don’t always like Gaiman’s work but this one was excellent.

message 9: by Eva (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eva | 1 comments I seem to be in the minority in not having read this before! I've discovered that there's a beautiful full cast recording of this with Derek Jacobi and all kinds of other great actors, so I'll listen to that version.

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 708 comments There is also a graphic novel version. I'm thinking about maybe doing that.

message 11: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Ed wrote: "There is also a graphic novel version. I'm thinking about maybe doing that."

I'll definitely reread it in that format, if I ever feel like doing so.

message 12: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 708 comments I am reading the graphic novel version. I have good faith that it is a faithful version, since Russel and Gaiman have often worked together.

The interconnected ('fix-up') spooky short stories reminds me of the Addams Family and also Bradbury's less-known From the Dust Returned which I read earlier this year. (The Bradbury is OK, but not as good as the Gaiman.)

I was surprised that this book which is sometimes recommended for children starts with such bloody murders.

message 13: by *Tau* (new)

*Tau* | 106 comments Ed wrote: "I am reading the graphic novel version."

Didn't know that it existed as a graphic novel. Interesting.

Art wrote: "I'll definitely reread it in that format, if I ever feel like doing so."

If you ever do, let us know how it is compared to the original book 😉

message 14: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 3 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
I finished this a few days ago but I didn't feel like bothering with broken Goodreads to comment on it.

As usual I cannot say I'm disappointed in the book but there are multiple things I personally disliked.

I'll write more tomorrow, it's been a long day.

message 15: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 708 comments This month I've read some old spooky stories. One of my favorites was The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde. I'm shocked that I hadn't read this before. It is really good.

It has some similarities with the Graveyard Book, as well as the Addams Family, and the film Beetlejuice, in that there are humans who interact with ghosts and aren't scared of them one bit.

As I read it, I thought it would be nice to hear it read in the voice of Stephen Fry. It turns out he did voice an animated film version. Yay! But that film has never been released. Boo!

I then went and watched a movie adaptation with Patrick Stewart as the ghost. Not bad, but it is better to read the story.