Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > October Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2011 comments Mod

It's October! What romance audiobooks are you listening to this month? Please remember to come back and share your thoughts after you listen to a book.

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4483 comments Mod
I’m still listening to All Scot and Bothered by Kerrigan Byrne, Devil You Know #2.
All Scot and Bothered (Devil You Know, #2) by Kerrigan Byrne

message 3: by L J (last edited Oct 01, 2020 04:34PM) (new)

L J | 369 comments Immortal Angel (Argeneau, #31) by Lynsay Sands Immortal Angel by Lynsay Sands
Narration is by Emma Wilder who I don't think has done Lynsay Sands book before. She does distinct voices. Lucian Argeneau appeared early in the book. The way Wilder pronounced Lucian threw me off. At first it sounded like Lu Chen to me and I wondered who that was but soon realized it was Lucian. In another voice she did, it sounded like Lu-chee-in and when I went back I realized that was what she was saying all along.

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Still listening toThe Fight for Forever by Meghan March The Fight for Forever (Legend Trilogy #3) by Meghan March

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to All Scot and Bothered by Kerrigan Byrne, Devil You Know #2, and enjoyed this unconventional story. Here’s my review.
All Scot and Bothered (Devil You Know, #2) by Kerrigan Byrne

message 6: by Samantha (new)

I'm listening to Inappropriate by Vi Keeland Inappropriate by Vi Keeland

message 7: by L J (new)

L J | 369 comments Shadows in Death (In Death, #51) by J.D. Robb Shadows in Death by J.D. Robb narrated by Susan Ericksen

Most important thing to say about Shadows:
I'm not a believer in trigger warnings but this deserves one because of something unexpected in a J.D. Robb book. If you are disturbed by animal abuse brace yourself or skip this one. This is not a case where the animal is rescued or escaped and is saved.

While the death does not take place on stage it is described in detail. After that, the reader learns about the animal in such a way that she becomes a real character as is common in these books when it comes to human victims. A previous animal kill is repeatedly mentioned but there is less detail and it took place a couple of decades before.

As a former rescuer and fosterer I know there's risk in placing an animal and I've seen bad results of placement so this hit too close to home. I do not believe these events and how they are treated is a bad thing but it was hard to hear.

This is one of the in Death books that is pretty much work from crime to capture. The scenes at An Didean and the scenes with Summerset contributed more to the ongoing story arc than additional romance scenes would have.

Otherwise Shadows is pretty much as expected, though a bit more farfetched than some.

message 8: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (kestergayle) I just finished listening to Spoiler Alert which was very enjoyable. It takes place mostly in the world of fanfic and cosplay, and since I knew nothing about either one I had a rather steep learning curve!

There were sections that I found too angsty, and there were alternating chapters of fanfic, group chats, and action between the protags, and that format felt artificial at times. But the love story was very sweet, the hero was a charmer, and I loved that he was a famous actor who was secretly dyslexic and she was full-figured and a geologist. They were also both in their late 30s, so that was nice, too. Its well narrated, told in 3rd person, and the quality of writing was very good. 4 stars.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

L J wrote: "I'm not a believer in trigger warnings but this deserves one because of something unexpected in a J.D. Robb book. If you are disturbed by animal abuse brace yourself or skip this one. This is not a case where the animal is rescued or escaped and is saved...."

L J, animal abuse doesn’t normally serve as a trigger for me (though it’s vile) but this scene highly disturbed me. It wasn’t gratuitous as it fit the story but it was painful. On the up side, it placed a shining, wonderful light on the rescue and fostering system.

message 10: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (kestergayle) I'm relistening to Sherry Thomas' His at Night, narrated by Kate Reading. One of my all time favorite HRs and it may be the best narration I have ever heard from Reading, which is saying a lot! There is a lot of hilarity, but lots of genuinely deep stuff, too.

message 11: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 481 comments Gayle wrote: "I'm relistening to Sherry Thomas' His at Night, narrated by Kate Reading. One of my all time favorite HRs and it may be the best narration I have ever heard from Reading, which is sa..."

Love Kate Reading as a narrator. Will have to put on TBR and listen.

message 12: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 481 comments Just finished my listen of Mary Balogh's Heartless, narrated by Rosalyn Landor. She does an excellent job of narration and I am a fan. Heartless was very good and enjoyable book.

message 13: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (kestergayle) Debby wrote: "Gayle wrote: "I'm relistening to Sherry Thomas' His at Night, narrated by Kate Reading. One of my all time favorite HRs and it may be the best narration I have ever heard from Readin..."

Debby, I miss Thomas' HRs so much, her Charlotte Holmes series just doesn't do it for me.

His at Night is really good, unique and playful, with evil simmering around the edges. Because of the hero's circumstances, Reading had to give him two voices, and she does so brilliantly. I love her narrations, I have yet to hear one that isn't wonderful. But this may be the best of the ones I am familiar with. I really hope you love this book!

message 14: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 124 comments Gayle wrote: "I'm relistening to Sherry Thomas' His at Night, narrated by Kate Reading. One of my all time favorite HRs and it may be the best narration I have ever heard from Reading, which is sa..."

I was just asking someone in another group about Sherry Thomas. I've only read one book by her and it was good but I haven't picked up anything else by her. This book is offered with my Audible Escape membership and since I'm trying to use it as much as possible as this is the last month for it so I will try and work this one into my plan.

message 15: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (kestergayle) Christina T wrote: "Gayle wrote: "I'm relistening to Sherry Thomas' His at Night, narrated by Kate Reading. One of my all time favorite HRs and it may be the best narration I have ever heard from Readin..."

I've only read her HRs, and the first 2 Charlotte Holmes mysteries, which I didn't like. No surprise, since I can't stand Sherlock Holmes, which is what the series is based on.

Her stories are unusual, she has set most of them in the 1890s, so there are a few things like phones, indoor plumbing, electricity, etc., that are often not present in HRs. Probably my favorite is Delicious, which is loosely based on Cinderella. Like most of her work its quite original, with plenty of humor but heartfelt longing too. And her prose...oh my! It's hard to believe that English is her second language.

I hope you like your AE book and that it leads you to explore more of her work.

message 16: by L J (last edited Oct 12, 2020 11:56AM) (new)

L J | 369 comments Hoofin' It (Magical Romantic Comedies, #2) by R.J. Blain
Hoofin' It
by R.J. Blain
narrated by Wesley Nelson

While I didn't laugh as many times as I did while listening to the first book I did enjoy this "magical romantic comedy" mystery.

Narrator Nelson is good at creating distinct voices for characters but I'm still not sure if the female main character is named Mary Ann, Marian, or Marion. I don't really care which but please pick one and stick to it.

message 17: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 138 comments I just finished Make Me Bad by R.S. Grey Make Me Bad. Enjoyable, but slightly missed the mark. I kept wanting a little bit of drama or angst or something, but it was just a bit too sweet.

So for a contrast, I'm starting The Bad Guy by Celia Aaron The Bad Guy. A psychopath "hero" is definitely not sweet!

message 18: by Alyana (new)

Alyana  | 196 comments I finished listening to Reflected in You by Sylvia Day last week. I think that the story here is better than the first Bared to You.

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Alyana Pearl wrote: "I finished listening to Reflected in You by Sylvia Day last week. I think that the story here is better than the first Bared to You."

I felt the same way, Alyana.

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Say You're Sorry by Melinda Leigh, Morgan Dane #1, and I got hooked from the first paragraph. Here’s my review.
Say You're Sorry (Morgan Dane, #1) by Melinda Leigh

message 21: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Melanie♥ wrote: "So for a contrast, I'm starting The Bad Guy by Celia Aaron The Bad Guy. A psychopath "hero" is definitely not sweet!"

He definitely isn't! While I was listening to that book, I was like...yup, you're the bad guy!! (I also laughed with his shenanigans...even though it wasn't supposed to be funny.)

Is it only me but have you guys noticed that some books are not available on Audible anymore? Books by popular authors by Laura Blakely or Vi Keeland...which I KNOW had an Audible edition...all of a sudden are not available!

I wonder if this is about the kerfuffle re-Audible Escape, given that the subscribers are not paying for this last month...

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

D.G., Blakely’s books started disappearing a long time ago. I had a couple on my wish list that I was ready to buy last year and they were inexplicably unavailable.

Something is going on but I’m not sure it’s related or maybe her issues with AE began much earlier.

message 23: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (kestergayle) Jonetta wrote: "D.G., Blakely’s books started disappearing a long time ago. I had a couple on my wish list that I was ready to buy last year and they were inexplicably unavailable.

Something is going on but I’m ..."

I think Blakely is re-writing some of her older books that no longer sell. She's done this a few times now. She's also compiling a few of her related books into one volume. I was getting her newsletter until recently and she has notified her readers of these changes ahead of time, unlike some other authors have done. I've kind of given up on Blakely; all of her recent stuff sounds the same to me or it's multicast which I really don't enjoy.

I have also noticed that older historical romances, ones that are 5+ years old in audio, are no longer available. Which is a particular shame because a lot of recent HR just isn't any good imo.

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks for that insight, Gayle.

message 25: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I really liked some of Blakely's breakout stuff...Big Rock and the following ones but then she started releasing a million books (which I assume are her early stuff repackaged because nobody can write that fast) and they were meh. That's why I stopped reading her but I'm still tempted when I see one of her books.

message 26: by L J (last edited Oct 17, 2020 06:53AM) (new)

L J | 369 comments Return to Virgin River (The Virgin River Series) by Robyn Carr
Return to Virgin River
by Robyn Carr
narrated by Thérèse Plummer

Nice to catch up with Virgin River and Grace Valley characters but not as much as I wanted. Not quite as much fun as I hoped for but Carr often has very serious themes. The dogs and cat were wonderful. The end was a bit scanty on detail. I think scenes with the puppies' placement would have been a great addition with the chance to see more of Virgin River and Grace Valley characters. I would have liked another chapter or two or at least a more informative epilogue.

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

D.G. wrote: "I really liked some of Blakely's breakout stuff...Big Rock and the following ones but then she started releasing a million books (which I assume are her early stuff repackaged becau..."

She has GREAT covers that lure you in😏

message 28: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (kestergayle) D.G. wrote: "I really liked some of Blakely's breakout stuff...Big Rock and the following ones but then she started releasing a million books (which I assume are her early stuff repackaged becau..."

Blakely insists that she does write that fast; she turns up on Aural Fixation from time to time and says she's a former journalist and just learned to write at high speed. (Lani Lynn Vale says she writes that fast, too and it REALLY shows in her work imo!!).

I think her speed is why I've lost the love...everything feels the same! There is no meat to her stories. When I was about 12 or so, which was in the late 1960s, I read some Harlequin romances. They were VERY formulaic, but at that age I liked them for a few months. That is how Blakely's more recent stuff makes me feel; like she's writing to a pre-set formula, just like those early Harlequins.

Its such a shame. Every once in a while she'll write something enchanting like Wanderlust, and then drop the ball again. Now she's writing for the audio market, but they no longer sound like books, they sound like plays, which are two separate animals.

:::sigh:::

message 29: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 692 comments Gayle wrote: "D.G. wrote: "I really liked some of Blakely's breakout stuff...Big Rock and the following ones but then she started releasing a million books (which I assume are her early stuff rep..."

I agree with your comments about Lauren Blakely. I really enjoyed Wanderlust, but most of her books are average at best.

message 30: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (kestergayle) KathyB wrote: "Gayle wrote: "D.G. wrote: "I really liked some of Blakely's breakout stuff...Big Rock and the following ones but then she started releasing a million books (which I assume are her e..."

Its a shame; she used to be an auto-buy for me.

message 31: by D.G. (last edited Oct 17, 2020 03:19PM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Gayle wrote: "I think her speed is why I've lost the love...everything feels the same! There is no meat to her stories."

You hit the nail on the head, Gayle. There's no meat! There's no tension at all in her books...not for one moment do you think...this may not work out! Really good writers add enough tension to stories where at some point, you're afraid the couple won't make it even though logically, you know they will because this is romance, KWIM?

I really wanted to try her first MM book A Guy Walks Into My Bar which had two of my FAVORITE narrators and then she adds a note at the beginning that in the world the heroes inhabit, there's no homophobia. I was like...WTH? On the surface, it's a nice sentiment but to me, it seemed she didn't have the lady balls to tackle couples with real problems that don't live in a fairy wonderland.

message 32: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments On another note, I'm listening to About a Rogue (Desperately Seeking Duke, #1) by Caroline Linden , which I am loving so far. There's some duke baiting in the series title but it's just the series set up...so far, the MCs are two normal people with interests and JOBS!!

message 33: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (kestergayle) D.G. wrote: "Gayle wrote: "I think her speed is why I've lost the love...everything feels the same! There is no meat to her stories."

You hit the nail on the head, Gayle. There's no meat! There's no tension at..."

What does KWIM mean?

I wanted to listen to A Guy Walks into My Bar as well, but was put off by the multicast aspect. And, I'm not sure f/m romance writers understand that same sex romance is different, if only because of the balance of power. Two guys might struggle for dominance more than a het couple for example. My experience with writers who don't specialize in this genre is that they miss the boat on a great deal of nuance.

I was not aware of the lack of homophobia in this universe; that's just lame. People experience all kinds of prejudice about sexual orientation and not including it in the story seems like a cop out to me too. Glad I skipped it.

message 34: by L J (new)

L J | 369 comments Gayle wrote: "...What does KWIM mean? ..."

KWIM?=Know What I Mean?

message 35: by D.G. (last edited Oct 17, 2020 03:19PM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Hahaha, thanks LJ!! :)

Yes, the multicast was also distracting. I wonder why they do that..is it an attempt to lure new to audiobook folks who can't follow who's speaking with one/two narrators?

I haven't officially DNF the book because I thought maybe I'll get back to it but the more I think about it, the more I know I won't return to it. I should just take the plunge.

Good convo ladies!!

message 36: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (kestergayle) Thanks for the definition, that's one I would never have figured out!

I am at a loss with the multicast books. They just annoy me. Whatever happened to good old third person?

message 37: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Gayle wrote: "I am at a loss with the multicast books. They just annoy me. Whatever happened to good old third person?"

Hahaha, I hear you!!

The things some authors do to game the GR system! I'm in a challenge where I use lists and I keep seeing a random book appearing at the top in all sorts of lists. You can tell the author either used sock poppet accounts and/or friends to move the book up! Because I'm a bad person (haha!), I'm now voting in whichever list I see it, to bring the book down.

message 38: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I finished About a Rogue (Desperately Seeking Duke, #1) by Caroline Linden and it was great - loved the hero. I used to avoid Beverly Crick as a narrator but she wasn't bad here. Not sure if she's improved or if I've gotten less picky.

message 39: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 124 comments I'm listening to The Highlander by Kerrigan Byrne. It's narrated by Derek Perkins who does a fabulous job of narrating this series.

The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3) by Kerrigan Byrne

message 40: by Jonetta (new)

Christina T wrote: "I'm listening to The Highlander by Kerrigan Byrne. It's narrated by Derek Perkins who does a fabulous job of narrating this series.

The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3) by Kerrigan Byrne"

Peters is outstanding! Another good one.

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

I’m listening to A California Christmas by Brenda Novak, Silver Spring #7.
A California Christmas (Silver Springs, #7) by Brenda Novak

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to A California Christmas by Brenda Novak, Silver Springs #7, and enjoyed being back in this town though it’s a tough story. Here’s my review.

I’m listening to What I'm Looking For by Karen Grey, Boston Classics #1.
A California Christmas (Silver Springs, #7) by Brenda Novak What I'm Looking For (Boston Classics, #1) by Karen Grey

message 43: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to What I'm Looking For by Karen Grey, Boston Classics #1, and enjoyed this romantic comedy. Here’s my review.
What I'm Looking For (Boston Classics, #1) by Karen Grey

message 44: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2 comments Hello everyone! Long time reader of romance but I joined this group because I've found I'm listening more than reading lately. I've discovered some fantastic narrators that pretty much act out the scenes which is a whole other experience.

I know narrators can be subjective but I just finished Evvie Drake Starts Over and at the end of it, I was practically ready to make out with the narrator over her portrayal of Dean, the retired professional baseball player, ha.

message 45: by Jonetta (new)

Welcome to the group, Deanna.

message 46: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (kestergayle) Deanna wrote: "Hello everyone! Long time reader of romance but I joined this group because I've found I'm listening more than reading lately. I've discovered some fantastic narrators that pretty much act out the ..."

Welcome Deanna!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.