The Procrastinators Book Club discussion

The Haunting of Hill House
This topic is about The Haunting of Hill House
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
★Buddy/Group Read Retirement★ > The Haunting of Hill House (October 2020) Buddy Read Discussion ~ Jen K & Mina & Kristina & Cendaquenta

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Althea ☾, Group Procrastinator (On Hiatus) (last edited Oct 01, 2020 05:49PM) (new)

Althea ☾ (themoonwholistens) | 1118 comments Mod
Welcome to the The Haunting of Hill House Buddy Read Discussion thread! This thread officially opens on October 9th and anyone can join at any time. Please keep in mind that spoilers are allowed in this thread but only up to the group's current reading place. Do not spoil the book if you've read further than the group. Any extra days can be used to catch up!

Each day we will be reading by chapters or page numbers. Page numbers are an approximation based on the hardcover or paperback that is the default on Goodreads. The suggested Buddy Read discussion schedule is as follows:

Week of 10/09
Oct 09: 1-45 pages
Oct 10: 46-90 pages

Week of 10/11
Oct 11: 91-135 pages
Oct 12: 136 to end

PARTICIPANTS
~ Jen K
~ Mina
~ Kristina
~Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta | 382 comments I just started this tonight, having totally forgotten it was a buddy read! I've finished Chapter 1 and am really enjoying it.

message 3: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 862 comments Nice, I picked mine up on Thursday but saving because I have another buddy read to finish first.

message 4: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
I read the first part only, because this is wordier than I thought, so it'll probably take me more than 4 days.

I don't like Eleanor's sister and brother-in-law. Also I don't know what to think of Eleanor. She's been sheltered most of her life and clearly she wished an escape from her life because she accepted to come to the house, and also because she made many "get-away" stories along the way. Her stories make me think of her as innocent.

message 5: by The Drowsy Bookworm (last edited Oct 09, 2020 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) Hi, I'd like to join this Buddy Read although I might be self paced for a bit as I'm juggling a few other books :)

I'm not sure what page I'm at as I don't have the book on me (I think page 20 or so), but Eleanor has just arrived to Hill House. I agree Mina-her sister and BIL were jerks about the car! I felt bad for her at that point.

I'm enjoying the writing although I agree it is wordy. I found this author's other book We Have Always Lived in the Castle really boring, so I'm hoping this is a little creepier/more exciting.

Kristina (kristina3880) | 134 comments I just started this as well. I feel like this is going to take me longer than four days as well. I have read only 25 pages so far.

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) ok I'm on page 35. the Dudleys are a pair of charmers aren't they!

message 8: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
The Drowsy Bookworm wrote: "Hi, I'd like to join this Buddy Read although I might be self paced for a bit as I'm juggling a few other books :)

I'm not sure what page I'm at as I don't have the book on me (I think page 20 or..."

I have We Have Always Lived in the Castle on my list to read for Fright night, but I didn't know that it's the same author 🙈🙈 I guess I was just looking at books that fit a task not much else.

message 9: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
I finished part III. In part II I started liking it, because the writing had something charming, but then there was the conversation they all had where they made up stories and I was ?? did I miss something, because that felt random (but maybe it wasn't that random, but I wasn't fully listening to it because I was doing something else).

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) I made it to page 63, Dr Montague is about to tell the story of Hill House.

that convo about them being different people was a little out of nowhere lol. I don't really trust Theodora, she seems too warm and open.

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) i listened to the audio version of We Have Always Lived in the Castle and it just dragged. i couldnt figure out what made it a classic horror story? but maybe i missed something in the audio also. some books just aren't good for multitasking while listening lol

message 12: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
Yeah, I was so confused with that conversation, I don't know what it was trying to do... but if it wasn't confusion it didn't hit right with me. This too is not a great book to multitask while listening to 😂

I don't have someone I don't trust, but I understand you, she was too cheery, but also maybe she lived through something horrible and that's her way of fighting it *shrugs*

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) true! and she seems to have a touch of clairvoyance (guessing the cards and stuff) so maybe that makes her feel familiar with strangers.

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) on page 125 today. some things finally starting to happen, although it's not really a nailbiter. I like the writing.

message 15: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
I read a few pages while waiting for the bus, but I hope to continue it and finish it by tonight. I honestly have no idea with the pages where I'm at, chapter/part wise I'm started part IV when Eleanor wakes after the first night in the house.

message 16: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
I have made a little progress after the the waking up scene, now they are exploring and I have noticed something. From all the stories that happened, the girls, Theo and Eleanor, worry about how the people in the stories felt. Like, Theodora is wondering how it must've felt for the kids, and I think that something happened in her childhood that left a scar on her. And Eleanor is worrying about the companion that was left because she herself was a companion to her mother and that took a toll on her.

:O I like how the fact that the house is off by some, well a lot, measurements that that could be the reason everyone feels uneasy about the house.

oh, the creepy has started :D
I like the writing too.

message 17: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
I finished part V and 😁 I have no idea what's going on and what's real, but I'm loving it 😁😁

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) Okay I made it to page 185 this morning before work and had a hard time putting it down! Dr. Montague's wife is there now and she is super entertaining and haughty. I think I may finish today on my lunch hour. Can't believe I've actually kept pace with the reading schedule! lol

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) mina wrote: "I have made a little progress after the the waking up scene, now they are exploring and I have noticed something. From all the stories that happened, the girls, Theo and Eleanor, worry about how th..."

The dynamic between Eleanor and Theo is so strange! they seem to be confidants one minute in their shared experience, then almost frenemies the next. That part I can't really figure out. I see where Eleanor is coming from since we're reading from her POV but I can't put my finger on Theo and her true intentions.

message 20: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
Yeah, their relationship is weird, and I like that weirdness, I think that even though I don't understand it it's what makes me like the story. I'm intrigued where the story is going, and to see what is real..

:O I just had a thought, that sparked a few others. So, what if Eleanor is the companion that was mentioned in the beginning? Like, she was the one that inherited Hill house. And then I thought, maybe Eleanor has gone of her rails and has made up the Hill house experiment as a getaway from reality and possibly the mother she had to take care, and what if Theo IS her sister, and that's the reason they have this dynamic they are having.

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) mina wrote: "Yeah, their relationship is weird, and I like that weirdness, I think that even though I don't understand it it's what makes me like the story. I'm intrigued where the story is going, and to see wh..."

I like it too! it's so bizarre and they're such different personalities.

I LOVE your idea. That sort of trippy ending is just up my alley lol

message 22: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
😂 omg Mrs. Montague is so dramatic. I love it, although, it kinda messes up the vibe we had before..

message 23: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
I finished it and...what??

I'm confused. Like, that's the ending? It's a bit of a letdown to be honest.

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) Ahh I have less than 20 pages to go!

message 25: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
woohoo :D I'm curious to hear what you think.

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) okay I finished it last night! I actually liked the ending. I was afraid it was going to be more of an open ending but Eleanor made sure that it was pretty final. She was very meek and easily influenced and it seems like that is what the house preys on. I liked seeing her lose it for good at the end!

The writing was great too.

message 27: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
I expected more from the ending, and I think that's why I'm not that fond of it. But it wasn't a bad ending, although it had some finality in it I still feel like it has an open ending. I mean we know what happened to Eleanor but not much about the other characters, only a sentence and that's it.

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) mina wrote: "I expected more from the ending, and I think that's why I'm not that fond of it. But it wasn't a bad ending, although it had some finality in it I still feel like it has an open ending. I mean we k..."

True! I would've loved to see their reactions. You could see Eleanor was driving all of them crazy. It seemed like they didn't have much pity over the (supposed) fact that the house was causing her to behave like that.

message 29: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
it seemed that they didn't care much about her, but also that could be only the way Eleanor sees it. She's not really a reliable narator; she's constantly afraid that she's left out, that they talk behind her back and make fun of her.. so why not make them not care about her, it would fit nicely to all the things I mentioned.

The Drowsy Bookworm (drowsybookworm) mina wrote: "it seemed that they didn't care much about her, but also that could be only the way Eleanor sees it. She's not really a reliable narator; she's constantly afraid that she's left out, that they talk..."

Gotta love an unreliable narrator! Eleanor is definitely on the paranoid, self-pitying side.

message 31: by mina, Group/Buddy Reads Procrastinator (new) - rated it 4 stars

mina | 2411 comments Mod
well that depends 😂 I actually didn't love some of the unreliable narrators I read (I can't remember which book right now, but I know there has to be someone), but Eleanor is a good unreliable character.

Kristina (kristina3880) | 134 comments I finally finished this book! The thing I found interesting about the book is that it wasn’t just the fear of hill house that occurred with the characters. It was the need of acceptance. Eleanor wanted to fit in even if she had to become one with the house or lie to the other characters. It was also the fear of loneliness. It was a good read for the season.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.