Aussie Readers discussion

A Scone to Die For (Oxford Tearoom Mysteries #1)
This topic is about A Scone to Die For
Archives > October 2020-Final Thoughts**spoilers allowed**- A Scone to Die For

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrynne | 11798 comments Mod
Final thoughts and reviews if you like of A Scone to Die For (Oxford Tearoom Mysteries #1) by H.Y. Hanna A Scone to Die For by H.Y. Hanna

Angela (angelaholmes) | 305 comments I haven't enjoyed a book as much as this in a while. It's gone straight onto my favourites list!

My review of A Scone to Die For

Thanks Moderators for this Group read. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did!

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brenda | 70887 comments Mod
Great review Angela! Aren't the Old Biddies fun!

Angela (angelaholmes) | 305 comments Brenda wrote: "Great review Angela! Aren't the Old Biddies fun!"

Hilarious ! 😂😂😂

message 5: by Diana (last edited Oct 03, 2020 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diana (secondhandrose) | 1650 comments Firstly I was surprised to learn that the author lived in Australia. I can't think of a lot of local cozy authors even though I know cozies are huge in the US. I am not a big cozy fan and only read one once in awhile. This one didn't change my mind about that.
I raced through it. I thought that there were threads to the story that could have been explored more (the cheating scandal at Oxford and the relationships between the victims). I was disappointed with the relevation of the murderer. While he was temperamental I thought he would have made a good ongoing character in the tea room.
While the author obviously knew Oxford University there was one clanger that just did not sit right with me. I'm a Library Technician and when the librarian at one of the Oxford libraries said items were 'categorized' I wanted to say 'no they are catalogued'. Any library professional would have known that.
So overall I thought this book was ok. The wrap up was a little too pat for my liking and it hasn't made me want to continue with the series. As a cat lover, I loved Muesli!
I purchased a Kindle copy as I couldn't find it at any of the libraries I frequent and even on Trove (National Library of Australia database) there was only one or two copies available at libraries in Australia.

Tien (tiensblurb) | 606 comments Oh I love this whole series!! Brain candy!

message 7: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brenda | 70887 comments Mod
It sure is Tien! A lot of fun :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Scone to Die For (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

H.Y. Hanna (other topics)