Bookish Worms discussion

Past BOTMs > House of Salt and Sorrows October 2020 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello members!
Our Thriller/Horrors set during the Fall or Winter themed BOTM for October is...
House of Salt and Sorrows!!!

Discuss characters, settings, have debates, ask questions, make predictions, or just discuss your favorite/least favorite parts of the book.

If you have previously read this book, are currently reading it, or plan to read it during October, share your thoughts with the group. We would love to hear what you think!

(ALSO- October Spooky Readathon teams have been released, head over and check them out here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... - and make sure you pop in and say chat with your fellow teammates on the appropriate thread )

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mirzayee🇦🇫 (sarahmirzayee) | 1052 comments Mod
I just got this book from my library today!

message 3: by amia (new)

amia (makevocaloidgreatagain) excited!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have this on hold at my library but I'm 4th in line. Hopefully it comes in time!

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma | 101 comments Can't wait to re-read this! It fits the readathon theme so well, too. Such a perfect October read :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this one!!! It's so creepy and dark but I love the fairytale element, it was so fun to read. Just not before bed.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 181 comments Mod
This one looks interesting! I just put a hold on it so it should come in soon.

message 8: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 52 comments ahh i can't wait to start this! it's been on my TBR list for so long ahah

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma | 101 comments Darce wrote: "ahh i can't wait to start this! it's been on my TBR list for so long ahah"

I read this last November and it was the perfect Halloween read (too bad I read it a month later, lol). I hope you enjoy it, too!! <3

message 10: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 52 comments Emma wrote: "Darce wrote: "ahh i can't wait to start this! it's been on my TBR list for so long ahah"

I read this last November and it was the perfect Halloween read (too bad I read it a month later, lol). I h..."

thank you!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mirzayee&#x1f1e6;&#x1f1eb; (sarahmirzayee) | 1052 comments Mod
It’s currently thunder-storming outside (yes at night) so I guess it’s the perfect time to hopefully finish this book!

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Okay I just finished it and wow okay I was not expecting all those twists at all!

message 13: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 52 comments Sarah wrote: "Okay I just finished it and wow okay I was not expecting all those twists at all!"

ooo perfect time to finish! did you enjoy the ending? i'm only on chapter 18 but i'm loving it so far :))

message 14: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 52 comments i loved the 12 dancing princesses story when i was young, so i especially love this retelling, i can't wait to read more of the book! when we first met this Cassian or Cassius dude or whatever his name is, i liked him and thought that he and whats-her-name (i'm sorry, i'm reading 8 books right now and i'm bad with character names anyway ahah) might be end game, but i'm definitely getting suspicious vibes from him now, and i much prefer Fisher. i hope the MC and Fisher work everything out, and i hope no more sisters die, because i happen to have become quite attached to this family!
also i love that women can be heirs on the islands, that old tradition that only men could inherit was so dumb back in the day. i just wish the father would listen to the MC! also i wonder if the ghosts of the sisters will start showing themselves to the rest of the family.... if they're real, that is.

phew, sorry for this chaotic update, my brain isn't really working today😅

message 15: by human (new)

human (that0nefangirl) omg i just bought this
perfect timing lol

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Darce wrote: "i loved the 12 dancing princesses story when i was young, so i especially love this retelling, i can't wait to read more of the book! when we first met this Cassian or Cassius dude or whatever his ..."

I feel you! I got such suspicious vibes from Cassius so I hard core shipped the MC and Fisher, further into the book I shifted gears though. The ending was pretty satisfying, it was nicely brought together I really enjoyed it!

message 17: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 52 comments human wrote: "omg i just bought this
perfect timing lol"

ahah i hope you enjoy this with us!

message 18: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 52 comments Sarah wrote: "Darce wrote: "i loved the 12 dancing princesses story when i was young, so i especially love this retelling, i can't wait to read more of the book! when we first met this Cassian or Cassius dude or..."

ooo ok let's see if i shift gears too ;) glad you enjoyed the ending!

message 19: by coffee (new)

coffee & paperbacks (coffee-and-paperbacks) | 13 comments I'll be snatching the book soon!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

^ haha hope you like it!

message 21: by Vicky | (new)

Vicky | A City Girl's Thoughts (acitygirlsthoughts) I read this earlier this year, definitely an interesting retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses! There's a plot twist that keeps you on your toes and very light gore, so if you're not into Horror because of that then don't worry!

message 22: by coffee (new)

coffee & paperbacks (coffee-and-paperbacks) | 13 comments I'm kinda sad I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. The writing style was great, me and the story just didn't vibe well together.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Ooooof bummer! Also I just posted the Challenge Week so if anyone is interested in participating then check it out if you want! The winners get to chose the books the next BOTM poll

message 24: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 52 comments i just finished this! i thought it was really good, the romance was a little insta-lovey but the storyline was really mysterious and the reveal was super shocking so i didn't mind! thanks for doing this as the BOTM, i probably wouldn't have read it anytime soon if you hadn't ;)

message 25: by human (new)

human (that0nefangirl) @Darce Same! I really enjoyed the blend of horror and fantasy that this book had to offer, and the romance was a bit ridiculous at times, but overall, I liked reading this. :)

message 26: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 52 comments human wrote: "@Darce Same! I really enjoyed the blend of horror and fantasy that this book had to offer, and the romance was a bit ridiculous at times, but overall, I liked reading this. :)"

glad you liked reading it as well! and yeah same thoughts with the romance ahah

message 27: by coffee (new)

coffee & paperbacks (coffee-and-paperbacks) | 13 comments Darce wrote: "i just finished this! i thought it was really good, the romance was a little insta-lovey but the storyline was really mysterious and the reveal was super shocking so i didn't mind! thanks for doing..."

Yeah, I was into almost everything but the romance really just rained on my parade. The insane number of times no one communicated normally also really bugged me.

message 28: by Darcey (new)

Darcey | 52 comments eddie wrote: "Darce wrote: "i just finished this! i thought it was really good, the romance was a little insta-lovey but the storyline was really mysterious and the reveal was super shocking so i didn't mind! th..."

yesss people really need to communicate more! and i found it kind of dumb that the MC fell for the trick that made Cassius disappear and didn't even question it. i thought she would be smarter than that!