Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Saw in September (Barry)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (last edited Sep 30, 2020 03:04PM) (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3102 comments Squeeze Me: Carl Hiaasen
Some things you can count on, like the manic enjoyability of a Carl Hiaasen read. One of the original Florida Crazy authors, he still knows how to do them. Somebody is disrupting President Trump’s Florida retreat by releasing giant Pythons. Our heroine is the woman sent out to stop the plague. (B+)

Bad New Travels: James Swain
Solving crimes both the FBI way and in freelance style. Just kind of fun to read. (B)

Total Power: Vince Flynn (Kyle Mills)
The finest in ghost written super spy novels (or technically, assassin novels). Rapp must go to work when a demented genius brings down the American power grid and keeps it down. (B)

Fallout: Todd Strasser
Historical fiction. The author, who went through childhood in the ‘60s, imagines a short slice of life had the Cuban Missile Crisis went the other way and war began. (B)

The Sinners: Ace Atkins
A Quinn Colson novel, he being sheriff in the deep south out on the Natchez Trace. The drug wars hit his county, and the bodies start to pile up. The law is not too sure who is killing whom, and the bad guys are all angling to become the top dog. The book may have ended slightly unresolved, but that is where the next book will come from. (B)

The Apocalypse Factory: Steve Olson
Non fiction, the story of the Hanford reservation and the building of the first atomic bomb. (B)

Old Bones: Preston/Child
Back to roots for these two. Two characters from the Pendergast series team to learn some of the mysteries of the Donner party, but find murder instead. (B)

Fool’s Paradise: Mike Lupica
Lupica inherits the series from Reed Coleman. Coleman had turned Stone into a fairly dark character, dealing with the devil, yet worrying about where it would ultimately lead. Lupica had the Sunny Randall series, and he makes use of that here bringing Sunny back into Jesse’s life. Compared to Coleman, this is Jesse light. A fairly clean procedural with some interpersonal stuff, but not the deep character study we were getting with Coleman. (B)

How I broke my Colon
Bizzare medical stories (B)

Snapped: CM Sutter
Amazon first read. Lone wolf type detective makes it to the FBI. Life is different, and so are the risks as she pursues a serial killer. (B)

The Hungry Ocean: Linda Greenlaw
Non fiction. Story of a female Boat captain fishing for swordfish off Gloucester. (B)

The Unspoken: Ian K Smith
Chicago PI, more in it for right than money. Set up is kind of like McKenzie, but the character himself is a bit rougher than most I have seen. (B)

The Silent Patient: Michaelides, Alex
British mystery, and I was so happy to see a psychologist acting as a psychologist, and not hunting down terrorists or stopping mass murders. Then, at the end, all of a sudden, the book goes all Shutter Island on me…..(B-)

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments Looks like more non-fiction than usual.

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3102 comments Yeah, I do quite a bit of trading, and read what falls into my hand. Hanford and Fallout are almost professional reading for me.

message 4: by Karly (new)

Karly | 339 comments I liked Old Bones too. Gave it about the same rating. I like a Pendergast tie in, but still keeping it fairly fresh with new characters.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Nice list Barry! It was fun to discuss Robert B. Parker's Fool's Paradise as a current group read, you have a good summary of it.
I know what you mean about The Silent Patient, that one had some twists as I recall. ("Shutter Island")
I'm intrigued by your assessment of The Unspoken

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3639 comments Good month as usual.

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1320 comments I have The Unspoken on my TBR list. I may have to move it up!