Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

Daisy Jones & The Six
This topic is about Daisy Jones & The Six
2020 Monthly Reads > October Group Read Discussion: Daisy Jones & the Six

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (last edited Sep 30, 2020 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 3573 comments Mod
October group read discussion is open for Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid for the 27th prompt "a book featuring one of the seven deadly sins" (Pride, Lust, Greed, Gluttony, Envy, Sloth, Wrath).

Every person reads at a different pace, so please use spoiler tags if you are sharing any plot-related surprises. This allows others to decide whether this information might reveal surprising information they have not yet read.

TO ADD SPOILER TAGS:

Use this for spoilers, just remove the spaces:
< spoiler > write your spoiler here and close with < / spoiler >

Posts here should only be contributions to discussion about this book.

Just from reading the synopsis, which of the seven deadly sins (Pride, Lust, Greed, Gluttony, Envy, Sloth, Wrath) do you expect to encounter while reading this book?

message 3: by Lynn (last edited Sep 30, 2020 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I attended an author event in April 2019 in which Taylor Jenkins Reid participated and she talked about the writing process for this book. She stated she had no specific musical group in mind when writing this book. She has always been very interested in musical groups and the interactions among the members. With that said, what are you expecting from this book?

Kelly | 1 comments This book is written in interview style and the audiobook is so entertaining. The full cast was meticulously chosen and I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it so much in print. That's a heads up for those of you who do print and audio - my recommendation for this one is audio. I'm also wondering if anyone else had the notion that the audio may have been the better route for this one?

E.R. Griffin (egregiouserrors) | 134 comments Lynn wrote: "October group read discussion is open for Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid for the 27th prompt "a book featuring one of the seven deadly sins" (Pride, L..."

Before I started I definitely thought pride or envy would be the main one, like a story of competing egos.

Before reading it, I was expecting a rock-umentary about a band that crumbled because of creative differences. I was thinking it would be like The Beatles falling apart and sort of assumed the influence derived from a similar situation. But having read it, I found the story pretty unique! I don't know a whole lot about 70s rock bands, history-wise, but I like that she didn't have a particular band in mind. It makes the story more interesting, rather than, "oh, this is just a thinly veiled Fleetwood Mac reference" lol. I mention Fleetwood Mac because they're the band I thought of when I first heard of this book. I thought maybe Daisy was a Stevie Nicks parallel.

Teri (teria) | 1228 comments Kelly wrote: "This book is written in interview style and the audiobook is so entertaining. The full cast was meticulously chosen and I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it so much in print. That's a heads up for ..."

I also listened to it on audio last year and loved it. I also wonder if I would have enjoyed it as much in print.

message 7: by amia (new) - added it

amia (makevocaloidgreatagain) excited!

Laura Miles | 243 comments Kelly wrote: "This book is written in interview style and the audiobook is so entertaining. The full cast was meticulously chosen and I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it so much in print. That's a heads up for ..."

Agreed - the audio format is really suited to this book. It felt like watching one of those old VH1 specials. I kept picturing Catherine O'Hara as the older version of Daisy. Jennifer Beals is fantastic but I just couldn't get a Moira Rose/Stevie Nicks mashup out of my head. My all-time favorite movie is Almost Famous so I definitely watched it right after finishing this book!

Lauren Oertel | 759 comments In case anyone is still on the fence, I listened to this one last year and agree that reading it in print would not have been as enjoyable. :)

message 10: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn wrote: "Just from reading the synopsis, which of the seven deadly sins (Pride, Lust, Greed, Gluttony, Envy, Sloth, Wrath) do you expect to encounter while reading this book?"

Just FYI...I thought it would work for Pride, Lust, Greed, Gluttony, Envy, and Wrath. We'll see if you-all agree or disagree with those! :)

message 11: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine wrote: "I found the story pretty unique! I don't know a whole lot about 70s rock bands, history-wise, but I like that she didn't have a particular band in mind. It makes the story more interesting, rather than, "oh, this is just a thinly veiled Fleetwood Mac reference" lol. I mention Fleetwood Mac because they're the band I thought of when I first heard of this book. I thought maybe Daisy was a Stevie Nicks parallel."

I think that is everyone's first thought! :)

message 12: by Lynn (last edited Oct 07, 2020 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

My weekend proved to be busier than expected and this week is stuffed full! I promise to post more questions this next weekend. :)

One observation I had was that I felt so sorry for Daisy. It was obvious her parents provided no behavioral guidelines or oversight. I mean, when a bouncer at a club you frequent sends you back home to change clothes, that was sad to me. I guess perhaps that's how it tends to be for some of the richer folks in our society; they have money to travel and go out in the evenings, and they pursue those activities and do not necessarily provide much oversight to their children's actions. (All three of my sons probably wish they'd had it so good! lol) Did you notice that? Or is that just me? (And I'm okay with it just being me...)

message 13: by E.R. (new) - rated it 4 stars

E.R. Griffin (egregiouserrors) | 134 comments Lynn wrote: "My weekend proved to be busier than expected and this week is stuffed full! I promise to post more questions this next weekend. :)

One observation I had was that I felt so sorry for Daisy. It was ..."

I was torn between feeling sad for Daisy and being slightly jealous of her. I was super sheltered growing up, so I always thought that doing whatever I wanted and being unsupervised seemed glamorous. I felt I'd missed a lot of "essential" teenage experiences because of my parents hovering. But I thought Reid did a good job of showing that isn't all it's cracked up to be. Clearly, Daisy's lack of parental attention hurt her, even if she didn't know it. Now I'm older, I'm grateful for my mother's overprotectiveness--I'd have done quite a lot of stupid things without her lol

message 14: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

1. This book is written in an oral history format. How does this approach affect your reading experience? Did you like it?

message 15: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

2. At one point Daisy says, “I was just supposed to be the inspiration for some man’s great idea…I had absolutely no interest in being somebody else’s muse.” How does her experience of being used by others contribute to the decisions she makes when she joins The Six?

message 16: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

3. Why do you think Billy has such a strong need to control the group, both early on when they are simply the Dunne Brothers and later when they become Daisy Jones & The Six?

message 17: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

4. There are two sets of brothers in The Six: Eddie and Pete Loving, and Billy and Graham Dunne. How do these sibling relationships affect the band?

message 18: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

5. Daisy, Camila, Simone, and Karen are each very different embodiments of female strength and creativity. Who are you most drawn to and why?

message 19: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

6. Billy and Daisy become polarizing figures for the band. Who in the book gravitates more toward Billy’s leadership, and who is more inclined to follow Daisy’s way of doing things? How do these alliances change over time, and how does this dynamic upset the group’s balance?

message 20: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

7. Why do you think Billy and Daisy clash so strongly? What misunderstandings between them are revealed through the “author’s” investigation?

message 21: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

8. What do you think of Camila’s decision to stand by Billy, despite the ways that he has hurt her through his trouble with addiction and wavering faithfulness? How would you describe their relationship?

message 22: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

9. How would you describe Billy and Daisy’s relationship?

message 23: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

10. Camila says about Daisy and Billy, “The two of you think you’re lost souls, but you’re what everybody is looking for.” What do you think she means by this?

message 24: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

11. As you read the lyrics to Aurora, are there any songs or passages that lead you to believe Daisy or Billy was intimating things within their work that they wouldn’t admit to each other or themselves?
(I'll have to reread these lyrics.)

message 25: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

12. What did you think of Camila's last wish for Billy regarding Daisy? Did that surprise you? Were you impressed or disgusted? Or...?

message 26: by E.R. (new) - rated it 4 stars

E.R. Griffin (egregiouserrors) | 134 comments Lynn wrote: "1. This book is written in an oral history format. How does this approach affect your reading experience? Did you like it?"

It was an interesting experience. I was a little bummed when I saw it was oral history, but I actually ended up liking it. I think it's perfectly suited for the sort of story Reid is telling. It's got a rockumentary feel to it! I liked it in print, but I think it would be even more fun as an audiobook.

message 27: by E.R. (new) - rated it 4 stars

E.R. Griffin (egregiouserrors) | 134 comments Lynn wrote: "5. Daisy, Camila, Simone, and Karen are each very different embodiments of female strength and creativity. Who are you most drawn to and why?"

I was definitely most drawn to Daisy. In a lot of ways I related to her, but I also was sort of in love with her lol. She also had some of the best lines in the book: "I am not the muse. I am the somebody." Gave me chills.

But ultimately I think I got the most out of Karen. (view spoiler) So, Daisy and Karen both, I suppose!

Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Daisy Jones & The Six (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Taylor Jenkins Reid (other topics)