Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Challenges > October 2020 Mini Challenge - A Variety of Celebrations

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (last edited Sep 30, 2020 12:31PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2392 comments Mod
October 2020 Mini Challenge: A Variety of Celebrations
Begins: 01Oct20 / Ends: 31Oct20

The Halloween decorations are out all over my neighborhood. But there ARE other celebrations in October...

TASKS
* Columbus Day - Read a book whose total page count includes any TWO of these digits: 1 4 9 2

* Indigenous Peoples - Read a book with a Native-American or other indigenous character.

* Breast Cancer Awareness - Read a book with something PINK on the cover (Post the cover and point out the pink object)

* Canadian Thanksgiving - Read a book by an author whose LAST initial is either C or T

* Halloween - Read a book with a main page genre of: Witches, Paranormal, Ghosts or Horror

===========================================

All books used must be a minimum of 100 pages long - Page length determined by HARDCOVER 1st edition. If there is no Hardcover, then the most popular paperback governs page #.

You may read in any format - text, audio or e-book. If using audio or e-book I suggest using Amazon.com's "look inside" feature to get a page number for your quote.

You MUST finish the book before you can claim credit for completing a task.

A book may be used for only one task, even if it would satisfy the challenge for multiple tasks.

EXAMPLE of a successful post:
Title begins with a letter in BLUE: - Unless You Can Be a Unicorn ✔ - 31May19

If you'd like to be recognized as finishing, the challenge, please post a new comment alerting me to your finish. I do not get notifications when you edit your original post.

Have Fun!

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Dec 16, 2020 08:43AM) (new)

This month's challenge participants:

CLICK on your name to go directly to your challenge post.

Beverly ✔ DONE

JennH ✔ DONE

Koren ✔ DONE

Lee ✔ DONE

Sheila ✔ DONE

TerriS ✔ DONE

Tessa ✔ DONE

message 3: by Lee (last edited Oct 26, 2020 11:48AM) (new)

Lee | 570 comments I'm in

* Columbus Day - Read a book whose total page count includes any TWO of these digits: 1 4 9 2
Cherry Ames, Private Duty Nurse (Cherry Ames, #7) by Helen Wells
Cherry Ames Private Duty Nurse
218 pages
October 6, 2020

* Indigenous Peoples - Read a book with a Native-American or other indigenous character.
Undaunted Courage Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West by Stephen E. Ambrose
Undaunted Courage by Stephen E. Ambrose
Character: Sacagawea
October 26, 2020

* Breast Cancer Awareness - Read a book with something PINK on the cover (Post the cover and point out the pink object)
Moonwalking with Einstein The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer
Moonwalking With Einstein by Joshua Foer
October 18, 2020

* Canadian Thanksgiving - Read a book by an author whose LAST initial is either C or T
Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher, #11) by Lee Child
Bad Luck and Trouble by Lee Child
October 26, 2020

* Halloween - Read a book with a main page genre of: Witches, Paranormal, Ghosts or Horror
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning
Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning
October 12, 2020

message 4: by Koren (last edited Oct 25, 2020 05:42PM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 648 comments October 2020 Mini Challenge: A Variety of Celebrations

The Halloween decorations are out all over my neighborhood. But there ARE other celebrations in October...

TASKS
* Columbus Day - Read a book whose total page count includes any TWO of these digits: 1 4 9 2-Dying for Daddy: The True Story of a Family's Worst Nightmare by Carlton Smith 259 pages
Dying for Daddy The True Story of a Family's Worst Nightmare by Carlton Smith

* Indigenous Peoples - Read a book with a Native-American or other indigenous character. -The Pale-Faced Lie by David Crow finished 10/21
The Pale-Faced Lie by David Crow

* Breast Cancer Awareness - Read a book with something PINK on the cover (Post the cover and point out the pink object)-For She Is the Tree of Life: Grandmothers Through the Eyes of Women Writers by Valerie Kack-Brice finished 10/8
For She Is the Tree of Life Grandmothers Through the Eyes of Women Writers by Valerie Kack-Brice

* Canadian Thanksgiving - Read a book by an author whose LAST initial is either C or T-The Fallen Girls by Kathryn Casey finished 10/6
The Fallen Girls (Detective Clara Jefferies #1) by Kathryn Casey

* Halloween - Read a book with a main page genre of: Witches, Paranormal, Ghosts or Horror-Twin Cities Haunted Handbook: 100 Ghostly Places You Can Visit in and Around Minneapolis and St. Paul by Jeff Morris finished 10/17

Twin Cities Haunted Handbook 100 Ghostly Places You Can Visit in and Around Minneapolis and St. Paul by Jeff Morris

message 5: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 26, 2020 12:31PM) (new)

5 / 5 tasks completed

* Columbus Day - Read a book whose total page count includes any TWO of these digits: 1 4 9 2 - 245 pages - Uncommon Grounds ✔ - 17Oct20

* Indigenous Peoples - Read a book with a Native-American or other indigenous character - Walk Two Moons ✔ - 26Oct20

* Breast Cancer Awareness - Something PINK on the cover - Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum #3) by Janet Evanovich ✔ - 19oct20 (candy heart)

* Canadian Thanksgiving - Read a book by an author whose LAST initial is either C or T - CARROLL, Lewis / Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass ✔ - 02Oct20

* Halloween - Read a book with a main page genre of: Paranormal - Kiss of Surrender ✔ - 09Oct20

message 6: by Sheila (last edited Dec 15, 2020 06:57PM) (new)

Sheila | 392 comments I'm in!

5/5

* Columbus Day - Read a book whose total page count includes any TWO of these digits: 1 4 9 2--House of Secrets by Denise Noel--189 pages--finished 11/6/2020

* Indigenous Peoples - Read a book with a Native-American or other indigenous character.--There There by Tommy Orange--finished 12/15/2020

* Breast Cancer Awareness - Read a book with something PINK on the cover (Post the cover and point out the pink object)-- Prose and Cons (Magical Bookshop, #2) by Amanda Flower Prose and Cons by Amanda Flower--finished 11/4/2020--title on pink and piece of the sky to the let of the title are pink

* Canadian Thanksgiving - Read a book by an author whose LAST initial is either C or T--Skunk and Badger by Amy Timberlake--finished 10/26/2020

* Halloween - Read a book with a main page genre of: Witches, Paranormal, Ghosts or Horror--The Ghost and the Femme Fatale--finished 10/23/2020

message 7: by Beverly (last edited Oct 14, 2020 09:24AM) (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 683 comments Ready to go!!!

TASKS
Seize the Night (Moonlight Bay, #2) by Dean Koontz by Dean Koontz Total number of pages 401 Completed 10/3

The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones by Stephen Graham Jones Completed 10/14

Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1) by Lisa See by Lisa See Her top, her cheeks, some of the flowers are all pink Completed 10/14

The Boy from the Woods by Harlan Coben by Harlan Coben Completed 10/12

Just After Sunset by Stephen King by Stephen King Completed 10/5

message 8: by JennH (last edited Oct 27, 2020 10:08PM) (new)

JennH | 76 comments October 2020 Mini Challenge: A Variety of Celebrations

TASKS
✔* Columbus Day - Read a book whose total page count includes any TWO of these digits: 1 4 9 2
Black Beans & Vice by Ellery Adams 10/18/20 - 321 pages

✔* Indigenous Peoples - Read a book with a Native-American or other indigenous character.
Crime and Poetry by Amanda Flower 10/11/20 - Chief David Rainwater

✔* Breast Cancer Awareness - Read a book with something PINK on the cover (Post the cover and point out the pink object)
The Battered Body by Ellery Adams 10/10/20 - cupcakes, flower, icing, tablecloth
The Battered Body (A Supper Club Mystery, #5) by Ellery Adams

✔* Canadian Thanksgiving - Read a book by an author whose LAST initial is either C or T
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 10/15/20

✔* Halloween - Read a book with a main page genre of: Witches, Paranormal, Ghosts or Horror
Curtsies & Conspiracies by Gail Carriger 10/25/20 - Paranormal

The Battered Body (A Supper Club Mystery, #5) by Ellery Adams Crime and Poetry (Magical Bookshop, #1) by Amanda Flower The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Black Beans & Vice (A Supper Club Mystery, #6) by J.B. Stanley Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2) by Gail Carriger

message 9: by Terris (last edited Oct 24, 2020 01:04PM) (new)

Terris | 566 comments I'll give it a try!

5/5

TASKS:

✔ Columbus Day - Read a book whose total page count includes any TWO of these digits: 1 4 9 2
Hunger by Knut Hamsun Hunger by Knut Hamsun, 134 pages, finished 10-7-20, 3***s

✔ Indigenous Peoples - Read a book with a Native-American or other indigenous character.
The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie, finished 10-21-20, 4****s

✔ Breast Cancer Awareness - Read a book with something PINK on the cover (Post the cover and point out the pink object)
A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark A Far Cry from Kensington by Muriel Spark, finished 10-24-20, 4****s. This is the closest I could come to anything PINK on the cover!! ;)

✔ Canadian Thanksgiving - Read a book by an author whose LAST initial is either C or T
The Cay (The Cay, #1) by Theodore Taylor The Cay by Theodore Taylor, finished 10-19-20, 4****s

✔ Halloween - Read a book with a main page genre of: Witches, Paranormal, Ghosts or Horror
Hangsaman by Shirley Jackson Hangsaman by Shirley Jackson, finished 10-15-20, 3***s

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

I think I've got everyone linked to this point. If I missed you, please let me know.

message 11: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 683 comments Done, and these were all good reads!!!!

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Beverly wrote: "Done, and these were all good reads!!!!"

WONDERFUL!

message 13: by Terris (new)

Terris | 566 comments Beverly wrote: "Done, and these were all good reads!!!!"

Show off! ;)

message 14: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 683 comments Terris wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Done, and these were all good reads!!!!"

Show off! ;)"

That's me, Terri!!! Nothing I like better than being the center of attention!!! This was an easy challenge for me because 3 of the books I had just started around the first of the month, one was up next and the last one was a book I'd won and really wanted a chance to work it into my stack...so it just worked out!!! I was sorry to see that you only gave Hunger a 3. Since it's a 1001 book I was hoping you liked it more than that!!!

message 15: by Terris (last edited Oct 14, 2020 06:58PM) (new)

Terris | 566 comments Beverly wrote: "Terris wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Done, and these were all good reads!!!!"

Show off! ;)"

That's me, Terri!!! Nothing I like better than being the center of attention!!! This was an easy challenge fo..."

I didn't hate it, but it was not worthy of 4 stars for me. I did like it fine, though and was glad that I finally read it :)

I'm still working on this challenge! It is challenging for me, because a lot of the categories were different than the books I had picked for this month. But I love the categories, and I will enjoy the books I read in each one -- if I can get them all finished by October 31st at Midnight!! Haha!

message 16: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 683 comments Terris wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Terris wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Done, and these were all good reads!!!!"

Show off! ;)"

That's me, Terri!!! Nothing I like better than being the center of attention!!! This was an e..."

I know you can do it!!!!

message 17: by Terris (new)

Terris | 566 comments Beverly wrote: "Terris wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Terris wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Done, and these were all good reads!!!!"

Show off! ;)"

That's me, Terri!!! Nothing I like better than being the center of attention!!..."

Thanks for the encouragement! I have a problem of books "popping up" suddenly that aren't on "the list"! That slows down my challenge progress ;)

message 18: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 683 comments Terris wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Terris wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Terris wrote: "Beverly wrote: "Done, and these were all good reads!!!!"

Show off! ;)"

That's me, Terri!!! Nothing I like better than being the cente..."

WOW...that never happens to me!!! :)

message 19: by Terris (new)

Terris | 566 comments I Finished -- but just barely! This was a good challenge, BC! It really made me search for books on my list that fit into your list. Good one! :)

message 20: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 683 comments Terris wrote: "I Finished -- but just barely! This was a good challenge, BC! It really made me search for books on my list that fit into your list. Good one! :)"

Just barely???? You had another week!!! Just barely is at 11:30 p.m. on the last day of the month. :) Great job!!!

message 21: by Terris (new)

Terris | 566 comments “Just barely” meant that I couldn’t find a book with Pink on the cover that I wanted to read! That was a hard one for me - haha! :)

message 22: by Book Concierge (new)

WTG, Terri S!

message 23: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 683 comments Terris wrote: "“Just barely” meant that I couldn’t find a book with Pink on the cover that I wanted to read! That was a hard one for me - haha! :)"

Oh sorry...I completely misunderstood!!! :)

message 24: by Terris (new)

Terris | 566 comments No problem! I always love hearing from you! :)

message 25: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 648 comments Done

message 26: by Lee (new)

Lee | 570 comments Finished!

message 27: by JennH (new)

JennH | 76 comments Done! :)

message 28: by Book Concierge (new)

Great job, Koren, Lee & JennH!

message 29: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 683 comments And great job Book Concierge!!! Looking forward to next month's challenge!!!

message 30: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 392 comments I finally finished!

message 31: by Book Concierge (new)

Way to persevere, Sheila!

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

EVERYONE has finished this challenge!

message 33: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 648 comments Good job everyone!!