RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2020 Genre Challenge > October’20 - Horror

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 2161 comments Mod
Here is the DEFINITION for this month's genre:

Horror: Horror fiction is fiction in any medium intended to scare, unsettle, or horrify the audience. Historically, the cause of the "horror" experience has often been the intrusion of a supernatural element into the everyday human experience. Since the 1960s, any work of fiction with a morbid, gruesome, surreal, or exceptionally suspenseful or frightening theme has come to be called "horror". Horror fiction often overlaps science fiction or fantasy, all three of which categories are sometimes placed under the umbrella classification speculative fiction.

-->>Please Note: There are absolutely no limits so you can interpret this genre in its broader sense and include other similar genres and/or subgenres that you feel might have a wee bit of similarity with the main genre. You can also include books that are not particularly centred around the main genre but has its components or elements somewhere in the story.

Here's a quick summary of the levels:

Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please mention what type of books you'd be reading:

PB: Paperbacks
HB: Hardback
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

Please feel free to announce your to-read books along with the level you are targeting for below.

PLEASE READ (for new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre each month in one particular month.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
7. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.

Note: The main intent of this challenge is to incorporate different kinds of books and genres in our normal reading routine to make the experience more fun and entertaining. Please do not lose yourself in the technicalities as we all know how literary genres can be confusing.

message 2: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments BEST MONTH OF THE YEAR.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Adelaide wrote: "BEST MONTH OF THE YEAR."

Horror is a popular genre. For me, it lets me escape by being able to say " For all the things going on in my life, at least I don't have a vampire, a serial killer, a ghost, etc. to deal with."

message 4: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 01, 2020 05:08AM) (new)

Don't think a book has to be only supernatural to qualify for the Horror genre challenge. Like the description in the first post says, it's fiction that will scare, unsettle or horrify you.

So, for example, a scary mystery with a serial killer would qualify. Science fiction with scary aliens attacking would also qualify, as would a Fantasy book with a horrifying monster. I think that even non-fiction about something like a serial killer or a supposed haunting (i.e. The Amityville Horror) could fit the challenge, if you'd really rather not read fiction. So don't think you have to severely limit yourself for this challenge.

message 5: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2223 comments Mod
OMG, thanks a lot, Cheryl, for posting the thread. I really appreciate it!

And thanks for explaining for all books can be counted for the challenge. I am really, really looking forward to reading some of the books I have on my shelf this month!

message 6: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Horror is a popular genre. For me, it lets me escape by being able to say " For all the things going on in my life, at least I don't have a vampire, a ser..."

LOL... yeah! I guess we can all find some consolation in the fact that at least we're not yet plagued by either rabid animals, werewolves, vampires and/or zombies :D

message 7: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 01, 2020 08:49AM) (new)

Heena wrote: "OMG, thanks a lot, Cheryl, for posting the thread. I really appreciate it!

And thanks for explaining for all books can be counted for the challenge. I am really, really looking forward to reading ..."

I'm glad to help, Heena. I also want to mention that Young Adult and Comics/Graphic Novels also qualify for the Horror challenge. There really is no limit to the cross-genres that can have elements of horror in them.

message 8: by Heena (last edited Oct 01, 2020 10:05AM) (new)

ATTENTION

Here are the links for the Buddy Read threads for the first 2 books selected in the Poll for October Buddy Read:

Buddy Read #1: If It Bleeds: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Buddy Read #2: My Dark Vanessa: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

All the members are invited and you can participate in either of the buddy reads or both, it is totally up to you.
The best thing is you can also count If It Bleeds for the October Genre Challenge for Horror!

Happy Reading!

message 9: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3479 comments Mod
Cheryl wrote: " a scary mystery with a serial killer would qualify"

Indeed, I find serial killers and such much scarier than various supernatural/science fiction monsters.

message 10: by Fran (new)

Fran | 644 comments This is genre I steer clear of so I won't be participating this month for this challenge. (It'll give me a chance to catch up on a few of my tbr that I haven't gotten to yet ;)

message 11: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 04, 2020 04:43AM) (new)

I am not getting any notifications from my groups. I found out this is because Goodreads has turned them off for everyone while they work on it. (No notification on webpage or apps.) I found it on the Help page, under Announcements. Here is the message:

“Goodreads has temporarily turned off email notifications, in-app notifications, and push notifications to your phone. These notifications include when you receive a new message from a Goodreads member, new friend additions, new followers, new group additions, and any other event, comment, or activity notifications you've signed up to receive in your Account Settings. We're working on bringing these back soon.

We’re very sorry for the inconvenience and will provide updates right here on Goodreads Help on when we’ll reinstate these notifications, so please check back for more information.”

message 12: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 04, 2020 01:55PM) (new)

1.) Those Across the River by Christopher Buehlman
4 stars. Well-written, creepy Southern Gothic horror novel. Maybe fans of Salem's Lot might like this? It has that same "creepy stuff going on in a small town" vibe.

message 13: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I am not getting any notifications from my groups. I found out this is because Goodreads has turned them off for everyone while they work on it. (No notification on webpage or apps.) I found it on ..."

That's why I've been wondering about why I wasn't getting any notifs. Thanks a lot, Cheryl. Please keep us all posted in case if you come across any more such updates!!

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

I will keep checking for more info about the bug with notifications, Heena, and will post new info here. If people want a direct link to the Announcements page, use this:

https://help.goodreads.com/s/allannou...

message 15: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 05, 2020 06:02PM) (new)

2.) Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
4 stars.

message 16: by Adelaide (last edited Oct 05, 2020 06:39PM) (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments 1) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 5 stars. I listened to a very good audiobook.

message 17: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments 2) The Auctioneer by Joan Samson 4 stars. A good but stressful novel about an auctioneer who takes over a town and becomes an authoritarian dictator. A LITTLE TO CLOSE TO HOME.

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

3.) Cold Skin by Albert Sanchez Pinol
3 stars. Creature feature horror with a philosophical slant.

message 19: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 07, 2020 03:31PM) (new)

It looks like Notifications are working again on Goodreads. You can read about it on the Announcements page here:

https://help.goodreads.com/s/announce...

message 20: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "It looks like Notifications are working again on Goodreads. You can read about it on the Announcements page here:

https://help.goodreads.com/s/announce..."

Thanks, Cheryl! I have one horror checked out but haven't found the time to start it yet.
The Ancestor

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny,

The Ancestor sounds great! Please post a review for it here, after you’ve read it.

message 22: by Dagny (new)

It does! Hope it lives up to it. Haven't read anything by that author before.

message 23: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 08, 2020 01:36PM) (new)

4.) The Good Son by You- Jeong Jeong
4 stars. This book is like The Bad Seed, Korean-style. A very creepy look inside a psychopath's mind.

message 24: by Heena (new)

#1 The Woman in Black by Susan Hill - 5/5

CURRENTLY READING Rosemary's Baby

message 25: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments 3) The Graveyard Apartment by Mariko Koike 3 stars. Japanese book about a haunted apartment building.

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

5.) The AncestorbyDanielle Trussoni
2 and a half stars. Good first half, but I didn’t like the second half as much. It goes from being a gothic novel to a biological SF kind of story. It just wasn’t for me.

message 27: by Dagny (last edited Oct 13, 2020 06:41AM) (new)

Cheryl wrote: "5.) The AncestorbyDanielle Trussoni
2 and a half stars. Good first half, but I didn’t like the second half as much."

Thanks for letting us know, Cheryl. I hadn't yet been in the mood for it and was running out of time. Now I won't feel bad about turning it back in unread. It's a shame because it sounded so promising.

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: " Thanks for letting us know, Cheryl. I hadn't yet been in the mood for it and was running out of time. Now I won't feel bad about turning it back in unread. It's a shame because it sounded so promising."

I know what you mean about not being in the mood. I'm kind of done with Horror for now, after having binged so many Horror books in a row. I might just take a break from it, read something else, then maybe come back to Horror later in the month.

message 29: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments 4) Alien: Isolation by Keith R.A. DeCandido 4 stars. Audible original. Tells the story of Ripley's daughter Amanda running into our friends the xenomorphs.

message 30: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments 5) If It Bleeds by Stephen King. 2 stars. Not so much horror as horror-adjacent. But either way, I thought all 4 novellas were clunkers. I will probably add my thoughts to the buddy read topic, but since I have nothing nice to say, I will wait until a little more time goes by some more people can read it without my grumpy comments possibly affecting their views.

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Adelaide wrote: "5) If It Bleeds by Stephen King. 2 stars. Not so much horror as horror-adjacent. But either way, I thought all 4 novellas were clunkers...."

Sometimes King does shorter fiction so well, but sometimes he really misses with it. I’ll still read him, though, and hope for more hits than misses.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Just posting some thoughts about reading here.

Has anyone else found themselves more critical about the quality of writing in books you are reading lately? I think I am. With pandemic restrictions and quarantining, I’m reading more and expecting more from the books I read. Like thinking: “ This book better be good, as it’s one of the few things I can still find enjoyment doing and isn’t restricted.” I don’t know if it’s good or bad, though, having these higher expectations. Adelaide’s use of the word “grumpy” in her comment made think about this in myself.

message 33: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments Yeah, I have no patience with crap anymore.

message 34: by Heena (last edited Oct 16, 2020 07:39AM) (new)

#2 Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin - 4/5

Absolutely loved it! Watched the movie too and loved it as well. Planning to read The Son Of Rosemary soon.

message 35: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 16, 2020 08:12AM) (new)

Heena wrote: "#2 Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin - 4/5

Absolutely loved it! Watched the movie too and loved it as well. Planning to read The Son Of Rosemary soon."

Heena,
Wow, I didn't know there was a sequel. Could you please review it here, if you get a chance?

message 36: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Wow, I didn't know there was a sequel. Could you please review it here, if you get a chance? "

Yep, it was written late, I guess, that's why it isn't that famous.
Sure. Will do!

message 37: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments 6) A Certain Hunger by Chelsea G. Summers 4 stars. Psychopathic food writer cooks and eats her boyfriends. (I liked this but does contain super explicit sex and violence FYI.)

message 38: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments 7) Home Before Dark by Riley Sager 3 stars. Another horror adjacent book. Sager's books always seem like they will be great, but the book is never quite as good as the idea.

message 39: by Cheryl (new)

Adelaide wrote: "7) Home Before Dark by Riley Sager 3 stars. Another horror adjacent book. Sager's books always seem like they will be great, but the book is never quite as good as..."

Adelaide,

I thought this one was better than Lock Every Door, but the last 60 pages were kind of unbelievable. Sager’s endings could be better than they are.

message 40: by Adelaide (last edited Oct 25, 2020 11:51PM) (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments 8) Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix 3.5 stars. This was a fun audiobook.

message 41: by Heena (new)

Adelaide wrote: "7) Home Before Dark by Riley Sager 3 stars. Another horror adjacent book. Sager's books always seem like they will be great, but the book is never quite as good as..."

I agree. Home Before Dark was such a bummer. I loved Lock Every Doors though. What do you think about it?

message 42: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I thought this one was better than Lock Every Door, but the last 60 pages were kind of unbelievable. Sager’s endings could be better than they are."

Yes, but it was so far off from Lock Every Door. I guess it was his best book (at least for me - Lock Every Door) others always seem to have great elements, but somehow they feel lacking, especially as you correctly pointed out, the endings.

message 43: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments Heena wrote: "I agree. Home Before Dark was such a bummer. I loved Lock Every Doors though. What do you think about it?"

I have not read that one yet!

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: "Yes, but it was so far off from Lock Every Door. I guess it was his best book (at least for me - Lock Every Door) others always seem to have great elements, but somehow they feel lacking, especially as you correctly pointed out, the endings. "

Heena,

What I liked about Lock Every Door was the Rosemary's Baby vibe I was getting about the apartment building. So creepy! I guess I was a bit disappointed that the story did not go in the same direction as Rosemary's Baby did, but that's just a personal opinion and not the fault of the author. I will still continue to read books by Riley Sager, because the author at least tries something new, as far as the plot goes.

message 46: by Holley (new)

Holley | 37 comments Adelaide wrote: "1) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 5 stars. I listened to a very good audiobook."

I listened to this one, too! Really enjoyed it.

message 47: by Cheryl (new)

6.) Awakened by James S. Murray
2 stars. Creature feature set in the New York City subway system.

message 48: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments 9) Slugs by Shaun Hutson 3 Stars.
KILLER SLUGS.

message 49: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 380 comments 10) Ghost Stories, Volume One by M.R. James 2 stars. Audiobook was well-read, but the stories just slowly petered out. I could not maintain interest in a single one.

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

7.) Snowball by Gregory Bastianelli
3 stars. Supernatural retribution novel featuring a small group of travelers snowbound on a desolate road during a blizzard. Just a warning: there's lots of gore in this one. Fans of the horror movie Krampus might like this book.

« previous 1