The Debating Club! discussion

32 views
Fun Debate topics > What age should people be allowed to own phones?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

OmniscientPerson (saumyashinde) | 197 comments Mod
There are hackers around the world, bullies on social media that can steal our money, get your personal information and threaten you etc.
But, imagine life without phones. Not a good picture, right? So, from what age, should everyone be allowed to use and own phones?
Start Debating!


daughterofathenacarli | 76 comments I think it totally depends on the kid, but for an agerage maybe 10? But not social medias until like 12


message 3: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Stone | 146 comments I agree with you Annabeth! I think kids shouldn't get phones unless they need them like where they live at two different houses. Otherwise, you shouldn't get one until you are in middle school/junior high. And if the parents feel the need to not let them till highschool is completer their choice! It just depends on situations and kids really. Social Media should be mainly for 12 and up I agree.


message 4: by Ayla (new)

Ayla (aylareadsbooks) Okay, well this is a very hard decision. It kind of depends on your level of maturity. Say you're 10 years old, and you're as mature as a 15 year old. You know your limits and how to handle yourself. Then I would say, "Go right ahead." But if you're 12 and about as mature as a 9 year old, then I would say, "No way."

Age should still be taken into consideration though. I'd say middle school/junior high is a good age, but it's completely up to the parents and what they think.

Social media is a whole different thing. Goodreads is more of a safer social media platform because one, you can't really share pictures or videos of yourself, and two, because we all come here for the books. At least most of us do. Which means that we all already have something to bond over. If you take TikToc or Instagram or anything like that, it's going to be very different. People use those platforms a lot more than goodreads. One of the main problems with social media is the drama. Hey, TikTok was fun. Add the drama, and it's not fun. Of course people have to bring in bullying, and when you do that it becomes toxic to people's mental health and state of mind.

13 is probably a fine age for other social media platforms, but you still have to be careful. I know some kids won't be getting social media till their 16. And that's a good decision, too.


message 5: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Stone | 146 comments Nicely put Allie!


message 6: by Ayla (new)

Ayla (aylareadsbooks) Thanks!


message 7: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Stone | 146 comments Ofc!


message 8: by Lуηη (new)

Lуηη I think when the person is deemed responsible enough to take care of themselves and be safe on it. they must know the consequences and not become a zombie


message 9: by Ayla (new)

Ayla (aylareadsbooks) Em J. wrote: "I'm not gonna go into detail, but I think 13 is a good age. I know people who got phones in third grade, and they are just too obsessed and spoiled in my opinion. Now of course there are exceptions..."

Agreed


message 10: by Ayla (new)

Ayla (aylareadsbooks) DᎾЄ wrote: "I think when the person is deemed responsible enough to take care of themselves and be safe on it. they must know the consequences and not become a zombie"

Also agreed :)


message 11: by Lillyyy (new)

Lillyyy Em J. wrote: "I'm not gonna go into detail, but I think 13 is a good age. I know people who got phones in third grade, and they are just too obsessed and spoiled in my opinion. Now of course there are exceptions..."

Yes 100%. I know a bunch of those kids and they are on their phones all of the time and it's just like jeez here's why kids don't get phones at that age


message 12: by Lуηη (new)

Lуηη if they must have a phone for safety reasons, put safety limits on it.


message 13: by Lillyyy (new)

Lillyyy Yeah or like downtime or something. I know that now there's like a time limit for how long you can be on it. That's an easy way to fix it but no, parents are going to let their kids become phone zombies


message 14: by Lуηη (new)

Lуηη it's not necessarily 'let'. its more like the kids spend half their time learning how to dodge them.


message 15: by Lillyyy (new)

Lillyyy That’s definitely true


message 16: by Lуηη (new)

Lуηη at least for me anyways


message 17: by Rheanna (new)

Rheanna (goodreadscomuser_rheanna) Very true. I’m supposed to be practicing piano but I’m on goodreads and every few minutes playing a couple scales lol


message 18: by Ayla (last edited Oct 12, 2020 06:56PM) (new)

Ayla (aylareadsbooks) Wait Ika you're 11?


message 19: by Ayla (new)

Ayla (aylareadsbooks) Lol just wondering


message 20: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Stone | 146 comments I feel like it should be from 12-13 to be honest but that's just me...


message 21: by Lillyyy (new)

Lillyyy I think 12 is a good age because they're responsible and like I feel like 12-year-olds they just want to text their friends and stuff like that, they aren't just going to play games all day. Maybe that's not true, but I think it is


message 22: by Aizlyn [REST], stop Procrasinating mate~ (new)

Aizlyn [REST] | 81 comments Mod
ok this is an interesting topic so i totally agree with the maturity point.. i too think that 11-13 is an average age for a person to get a phone but they should not expose themselves to social medias like instagram,tiktok,twitter etc.


REDQUEEN {SEEKER OF LOVE} (redqueen0012) | 127 comments Well, I think it matters what they do if they are doing a lot of things away from home then they should be able to have a phone. but when it comes to social media then I think that they should be at least 13-15 before they should be able to have it because Social Media has a lot of Harmful things on it that can really hurt or change your kids


message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Honestly? Kids shouldn't have a phone until they are ready to pay for their own phone bill. Now, if you're school is super far away, you may need a phone earlier. But I think that the earliest age should be about 16. I'm 14 almost 15 and I don't have a phone.


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Em J. wrote: "I somewhat agree with one thing you said, but disagree with the other. I think 13-15 year olds can have a phone if they're mature enough. Anyways, I do agree that kids should at least help pay for ..."

Yes, exactly!


message 26: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Stone | 146 comments I don't pay for my phone bill but also we got it discounted because of issues one and a half year ago so I don't think that should be required. But I did pay for the phone I have right now off Amazon because I saved my money and I think all kids should be doing that for new phones. For passed down ones, you shouldn't have to because it's been used by a family member. And I got my phone when I was 12 which is a fairly okay age in my opinion.


message 27: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Stone | 146 comments Yeah and my phone was around 400$ and I think I was quite mature at that age. But if it's someone who is immature and won't use it appriotely, then they shouldn't get one until they are older.


message 28: by Ayla (new)

Ayla (aylareadsbooks) Ayla ~#TheFloorIsFloor~ wrote: "Okay, well this is a very hard decision. It kind of depends on your level of maturity. Say you're 10 years old, and you're as mature as a 15 year old. You know your limits and how to handle yoursel..."

As an add-on to what I said, I agree that it's really based on maturity level and what parents think is right/best for their kid(s).


message 29: by Ayla (new)

Ayla (aylareadsbooks) Yay! Lol


message 31: by freakNok (new)

freakNok (dunkloli) | 4 comments I think it's not an issue of age and maturity... I think it's more of a necessity thing... and we should remember the basic function of a phone is to call someone and maybe text someone( not for photography, not for social media, not for games). So if you really *need* a phone, then go for it, convince your guardian that you *need* it. I hope it make sense.


ヽ(◉ᗜ◉)ノ ♥ Sushi Roll ♥ | 184 comments Mod
I'm 14, and I still don't have a phone, but I understand that my parents are trying to protect me. If kids get a phone at a young age, then it can have a negative impact on them. Social media being the biggest aspect. I think that it's all about maturity and self-control. However, at the end of the day, the choice is up to the kid's parents.


message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Sushi Roll. Phones AND computers can have really negative impacts on kids, and I think that kids should get phones when 15 or older.


message 34: by Ayla (last edited Oct 29, 2020 07:56AM) (new)

Ayla (aylareadsbooks) I'm not 15. I have a phone though. But my parents have really strict controls and I'm not allowed to have any social media at all. I think it should also be based on maturity level. Social media is kind of a whole 'nother thing.


message 35: by Cat (new)

Cat Carstairs | 42 comments I agree with a lot of y'all, 13 is a good age for a phone (with certain restrictions). I don't think that anyone younger than teen-age should have a phone, but tablets or iPads would be okay strictly for non-media entertainment purposes.


message 36: by Lуηη (new)

Lуηη so diplomatic XD


back to top