Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > October 2020 31 Days of Horror Movies

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alan (last edited Oct 31, 2020 02:30PM) (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
You didn't ask for it, but you're getting it anyway. This will be my third annual attempt to watch (average) a horror movie a day throughout October. Feel free to join in or just look for some movie watching ideas.
Since I expect I'll have some delays during the month, I'm cheating by starting a day early.
1. Next of Kin (1982)
2. The Monster Club (1981)
3. The Skeleton Key (2005)
4. Cursed (2005)
5. The Conjuring (2013)
6. The Conjuring 2 (2016)
7. Event Horizon (1997)
8. Boogeyman (2005)
9. Books of Blood (2020)
10. The Ruins (2008)
11. Zombieland: Double Tap (2019)
12. Escape Room (2019)
13. Wicked Little Things (2006)
14. They (2002)
15. I Am a Ghost (2012)
16. The Village (2004)
17. Deep Rising (1998)
18. Gretel & Hansel (2020)
19. Rise: Blood Hunter (2007)
20. Alien (1979)
21. Aliens (1986)
22. Let Me In (2010)
23. The Mummy (1999)
24. The Legend of Lucy Keyes (2006)
25. Fright Night (1985)
26. Psycho II (1983)
27. The Last Exorcism (2010)
28. Cabin in the Woods (2012)
29. What We Do in the Shadows (2015)
30. Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2011)
31. The Thing (1982)
+ Halloween (1978)

message 2: by ¸.•*¨*•Gina *A Bookwyrm in Belgium*•*¨*•.¸ (last edited Nov 02, 2020 08:09AM) (new)

¸.•*¨*•Gina *A Bookwyrm in Belgium*•*¨*•.¸ (nyogtha) | 64 comments Aww man, I love this idea, I'll give it a go!
Now to go scour my DVDs to select the perfect viewing :D
*Update*
Here is my list for October viewing (in no particular order)...
'Salem's Lot (2004)
The Craft (1996)
The Evil Dead (1981)
The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)
Poltergeist (1982)
The Frighteners (1996)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
Angel Heart (1987)
Sleepy Hollow (1999)
The People Under the Stairs (1991)
From Dusk 'til Dawn (1996)
The Thing (1982)
Silent Hill (2006)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Beetlejuice (1988)
Zombieland (2009)
The Lost Boys (1987)
Near Dark (1987)
28 Days Later (2002)
Hellraiser (1987)
Alien (1979)
Evil Dead II (1987)
Army of Darkness (1992)
Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1992)
Event Horizon (1997)
The Crow (1994)
Dark City (1998)
Ringu (1998)
The Eye (2002)
*Update on update*
By the skin of my teeth I did it :)
Had to watch 2 a day for the last couple of days to catch up so enjoyed Army of Darkness and Event Horizon on Halloween and Ringu and Angel Heart on Devil's night. Good stuff.

message 3: by Marie Helene (last edited Sep 30, 2020 11:15AM) (new)

Marie Helene | 706 comments A horror movie a day keeps the doctor away?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Awww, you made you a thread!! Yay!! Mine is ongoing. But I do try to do the 31 days of scary movies too

message 5: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1639 comments TubiTV has a large horror streaming collection:

https://tubitv.com/category/horror

Free, but with brief ads.

message 6: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 771 comments I'm just gonna re-watch Supernatural from season 1 for my horror viewing this month, though I do have a tradition of watching The Wolfman (the really terrible one with Benicio del Toro) on Halloween.

Though it could be a good time to re-watch the other horror movies I have ... hmmm.

message 7: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1639 comments Krystal wrote: "I'm just gonna re-watch Supernatural from season 1 for my horror viewing this month..."

You're going to have a busy month. :)

According to BingeClock, that will take 13 days and 7 hours.

https://www.bingeclock.com/s/supernat...

message 8: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 771 comments Randy wrote: "Krystal wrote: "I'm just gonna re-watch Supernatural from season 1 for my horror viewing this month..."

You're going to have a busy month. :)

According to BingeClock, that will take 13 days and 7..."

Wow! That's so cool! I better not do it all at once then lol

message 9: by J. (new)

J. Gowin I'll give it another shot.

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3663 comments Krystal wrote: "I'm just gonna re-watch Supernatural from season 1 for my horror viewing this month, though I do have a tradition of watching The Wolfman (the really terrible one with Benicio del Toro) on Hallowee..."

Funny you should mention that Krystal as I started watching Season 1 of Supernatural last night. I have the first five seasons on dvd, so I haven't watched them all in a long time. I do have a horror movie collection as well, but I miss watching the early seasons of the Winchesters. :-)

message 11: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 771 comments Marie wrote: "Krystal wrote: "I'm just gonna re-watch Supernatural from season 1 for my horror viewing this month, though I do have a tradition of watching The Wolfman (the really terrible one with Benicio del T..."

I just recently bought the 14th season but since it's been a while since I watched S13 and lockdown has given me an abundance of time, I thought it would be a good opportunity to re-watch from the beginning! It's definitely fun seeing how much the characters have grown from the early days of the series!

message 12: by destiny ♡ (new)

destiny ♡ howling libraries (howlinglibraries) | 99 comments I'm going to try again this year, and hopefully have better success than last year!

message 13: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 569 comments It's my third year as well! I started thanks to spookyastronaut actually. I already watched 2 because tomorrow I ll be out:

1. Haunt 2. Captive state. I enjoyed both maybe the first a little bit more.

I usually include in my month a rewatch of Halloween and sometimes Halloween 2.
I'm also rewatching Supernatural as well, I'm on the 11th season now.

message 14: by destiny ♡ (new)

destiny ♡ howling libraries (howlinglibraries) | 99 comments 1. Repo! The Genetic Opera (rewatch)

message 15: by [on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars (last edited Oct 31, 2020 05:55PM) (new)

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 484 comments I'll try this. So far I've watched:
1. City Of The Dead
2. The Stuff
3. Spider Baby
4. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things
5. The She-Creature
6. Tourist Trap
7. Phenomena
8. Bloody Pit Of Horror
9. Waxwork
10. Night Of The Ghouls
11. Friday The 13th
12. The Earth Dies Screaming
13. Night Of The Bloody Apes
14. The Premonition
15. Daughter Of Dr. Jekyll
16. Slumber Party Massacre
17. Slumber Party Massacre 2
18. The Manster
19. Q: The Winged Serpent
20. Paganini Horror
21. The Brain Eaters
22. Prom Night II
23. Shakma
24. From Hell It Came
25. Maniac Cop 2
26. The Beach Girls And The Monster
27. Deadbeat At Dawn
28. The Final Terror
29. Atom Age Vampire
30. Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors
31. Night Of The Living Dead

message 16: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
With the movies I've picked to probably watch, for some reason I seem to be on a 2005 kick. (Though I've taken a break with The Conjuring.) It was a good year for horror.

message 17: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 569 comments I watched 3. Tales from the hood and 4. Antrum. I enjoyed both of them in different ways. I wouldn t say that Antrum is so distirbing as they made it up to be though.

message 18: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
Antrum was decent and different, but it was a schtick. However, a movie like that 40+ years ago would have had a more gruesome reputation.

message 19: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 802 comments 31 days of horror movies on amc during October

message 20: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 569 comments Alan wrote: "Antrum was decent and different, but it was a schtick. However, a movie like that 40+ years ago would have had a more gruesome reputation."

Yes I agree. I think we have to consider the time period. I actually really enjoyed it , the concept was good. I wasn't sure wether to give it a 3 or 3 and a half.

I watched recently:
5. Creepy
6. Scary stories to tell in the dark
7. Coherence
8. Killing ground
9. The killing of a sacred deer

Coherence was a trip! And TKOFSD was very unsettling and weird. Creepy wasn't bad either. But they both were too long I think.

message 21: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
Monica wrote: "Coherence was a trip! And TKOFSD was very unsettling and weird. Creepy wasn't bad either. But they both were too long I think.."

Coherence was great. If you haven't seen it, look for +1. It's a similar trippy film.

message 22: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 569 comments Alan wrote: "Monica wrote: "Coherence was a trip! And TKOFSD was very unsettling and weird. Creepy wasn't bad either. But they both were too long I think.."

Coherence was great. If you haven't seen it, look fo..."

I'll definitely check it out!

Yesterday I watched
10. Ready or not. I think this will be a movie I will rewatch all the time. Really enjoyed.

message 23: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3663 comments I have been watching the first season of Supernatural, but I have also dipped into my dvd horror collection as well. So far this is what I have watched:

1) Final Destination 1 and 2 (I own all five - getting there - lol)
2) Jeepers Creepers 1
3) Rose Red (not a movie - mini series - 4 hrs long though)
4) Joyride 1
5) Christine
6) Scream (1, 2, and 3)
7) Silver Bullet
8) Storm of the Century (not a movie - mini series - 4 hrs long)

That is it for now - will update as I watch more of my collection - lol :)

message 24: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
I'm finding myself not as inspired as I usually am. Kinda just dragging random DVDs out I haven't watched in awhile.

message 25: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
I need to stop watching new stuff and stick to movies I love. So far the three new ones I watched mostly sucked. :/

message 26: by Monica (last edited Oct 18, 2020 11:30AM) (new)

Monica Go | 569 comments Alan wrote: "I need to stop watching new stuff and stick to movies I love. So far the three new ones I watched mostly sucked. :/"

What were they?

My latest were:
11. Hell house LCC
12. I see you
13. the little shop of horrors
14. Little shop of horrors (remake)
15. Idle hands
16. Re-animator
17. Pan's labyrinth
18. The sacrament
I see you was very suspenseful and the mistery was good as well . Really enjoyed.
And Pan's labyrinth! what a beautiful movie!
Re animator and The sacrament are worth a watch definitely (even a re-watch Re-animator)! And Little shop of horror very very fun!

message 27: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
Gretel & Hansel and Books of Blood. New movies this year that weren't good. And I hadn't seen I Am a Ghost before. I didn't know how fortunate I was.

message 28: by Scott (last edited Oct 31, 2020 05:11PM) (new)

Scott  Neumann (scottneumann) | 429 comments So far I've watched...

1. 'Scare Me'
2. 'Witches in the Woods'
3. 'The Raven' (W/John Cusack)
4. 'Theatre of Blood'
5. 'Books of Blood'
6. 'The Haunting of Bly Manor'
7. Tomb of Ligeia'
8. 'The Monster Club'
9. 'The Masque of the Red Death'
10. 'The Pale Door'
11. 'Opera'
12. 'Lord of Illusions'
13. 'Twice Told Tales'
14. 'Spiral'
15. 'The Mortuary Chronicles'
16. 'Rawhead Rex'
17. 'The Blackwell Ghost 5'
18. 'Fright Night' (remake)
19. 'Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark'
20. 'The Fall of the House of Usher'
21. 'The Abominable Dr. Phibes'
22. 'Dr. Phibes Rises Again'
23. 'The Wolfman' (2012)
24. 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre II'
25. 'Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III'
26. 'Edward Scissorhands'
27. 'Coraline'
28. 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'
29. 'Frankenweenie'
30. 'The Corpse Bride'
31. 'Mad Monster Party'
32. 'Tales of Terror'
33. 'Torture Garden'
34. 'The Raven' (Vincent Price)

I prefer watching older movies, the new stuff has been really hit or miss lately (last few years), but I do highly recommend 'The Pale Door' and 'Scare Me'.

message 29: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
Been forever since I watched Alien or Aliens. They never get old.

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael | 114 comments I just noticed this thread, so I'm hitting it late. While I wasn't actively trying to do 31 days of horror movies in October, I've definitely passed 31 if you count the individual episodes of a couple of TV series. Here's what I can remember going through so far this month:

1. Vivarium
2. In a Dark Place
3. The Tag-Along
4. Fury of the Demon
5. Mr. Mercedes - Season 3 (10 episodes)
6. The Houses October Built
7. The Houses October Built 2
8. The Little Stranger
9. The Turning
10. Alien
11. Alien (2003 Director's Cut)
12. Sea Fever
13. The Shrine
14. Hell House LLC
15. Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel
16. Hell House LLC III: Lake of Fire
17. The Haunting of Bly Manor (9 episodes)

Some notes: I finally broke down and bought one of the digital bundles of all of the Alien movies. I watched the original and then realized the bundle also included the 2003 director's cut, so I turned around and watched it.

In a Dark Place, The Turning & The Haunting of Bly Manor are all part of my kick of watching adaptations of 'The Turn of the Screw'. Bly Manor is the first thing associated with James' story I've comes across that I didn't think blew goats. It took me two tries separated by about 25-30 years to finish reading the novella as it bored me to tears, and every movie version I've watched was equally "Meh". (Bly Manor, on the other hand was fantastic because of all it added.)

message 31: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 912 comments Michael wrote: "I just noticed this thread, so I'm hitting it late. While I wasn't actively trying to do 31 days of horror movies in October, I've definitely passed 31 if you count the individual episodes of a cou..."

We are finishing Bly Manor tonight and we are very excited

message 32: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
Going the comedy-horror route with some of my absolute faves.

description

message 33: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
description

message 34: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 569 comments I watched it (Tucker and Dale) for the first time a couple of months ago! I loved it.

message 35: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 582 comments Alan wrote: ""

Great movie!

message 36: by Monica (new)

Monica Go | 569 comments Latest:
19. The lobster
20. The hole in the ground
21. Cherry falls
22. November
23. Altered states
24. Tragedy girls
25. Antiviral
26. Audition
27. Disturbing behavior
28. Lake Mungo

My favorites were definitely Lake Mungo (very very chilling at times I have to admit) and Disturbing behavior (i'm a 90s' bitch), Audition too. Also Altered states was good. November was very weird but very very beautiful. Antiviral also weird.

Today I'm gonna watch Oldboy (even if not really horror like a few others I guess) and tomorrow I'm gonna marathon Halloween 1 and 2 for tradition.

message 37: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
Monica wrote: "I watched it (Tucker and Dale) for the first time a couple of months ago! I loved it."

It's the movie I show to all my friends and family and they all end up loving it.

message 38: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 771 comments In the Halloween movie spirit, I watched Doom last night - it's so terrible but it does make me laugh! Also I love that Karl Urban is billed higher than The Rock. I'd completely forgotten The Rock was even in it!

Tonight will be my annual viewing of The Wolfman. I really do have a soft spot for the truly terrible stuff.

message 39: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
Doom is so underrated. From that era of video game adaptations it's the only one that actually managed to make footage look just like the game. And it had the BFG! Now I have to go find my copy and rewatch.

message 40: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 771 comments Alan wrote: "Doom is so underrated. From that era of video game adaptations it's the only one that actually managed to make footage look just like the game. And it had the BFG! Now I have to go find my copy and..."

I have to say, my favourite part is definitely when it mimics the game exactly, takes me back to some good memories.

message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael | 114 comments I went on right by 31 this month. Unless I knock another out tonight, which probably won't happen as my wife isn't a Horror fan, here's where I finished:

18. The Wretched
19. Carrion
20. The Witches (HBO Max version)
21. Summer of 84
22. The Haunted Mansion
23. To Your Last Death
24. Grave Encounters
25. Grave Encounters 2
26. Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum
27. The Tag-Along 2
28. The Promise
29. The 3rd Eye
30. Evil Eye
31. The Axe Murders of Villisca
32. Nocturne
33. The Device

message 42: by Alan (last edited Oct 31, 2020 05:21PM) (new)

Alan | 5183 comments Mod
I watched 2 today since it was Halloween, but I have so many TV shows and things on Netflix/Hulu/Disney+/TubiTv to watch, plus I want to get a decent amount of reading time in, I just can't bring myself to rewatch more than 1 movie a day.

description