Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > December 2020 Short Story/Novella Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4979 comments Mod
December 2020 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

In the interest of variety, please wait a month to renominate a book that has been in the poll. These are the books from March's poll:

Poll Winner, 84, Charing Cross Road
2nd, A Hunger Artist
3rd, The Bottle Imp
4th, Signs and Symbols
5th, The Hour of the Star
6th, Why I Live at the P.O

1. Books that have already been featured as short story group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Short Story Book Shelf

In addition to the books currently on our Short Story Book Shelf these Short Story/Novellas from our group's book shelf are also not eligible for nomination.

A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland
The Canterville Ghost
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Secret Sharer
The Time Machine
Turn of the Screw
The Last Day of a Condemned Man

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A story's size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions listed indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, please identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

6. Only seven books, by seven different authors will move forward to the poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The seven books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

7. Only one nomination AND one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

7a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for the moderator to track changes.

8. Only one book per author, In the event that more than one book by the same author is nominated, the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

8a. Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1725 comments I would like to nominate An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce, 36 pages, 1890

It is simply the top most story on this list:
Single Short Story
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...
that is not already on our shelf or by an author well represented.

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2609 comments I nominate Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx (pub 1997, 55 pp).

message 5: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4979 comments Mod
I nominate The Star by Arthur C. Clarke, less than 10 pages, 1955.

I second An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3273 comments Bob wrote: "I nominate The Star by Arthur C. Clarke, less than 10 pages, 1955.

I second An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge"

I'll second

message 7: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx (pub 1997, 55 pp)."

I second this!
When our opera house re-opens I've already got tickets for a modern Brokeback Mountain opera.

message 8: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Oct 01, 2020 10:05AM) (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1725 comments Bob wrote: "I nominate The Star by Arthur C. Clarke, less than 10 pages, 1955.

I second. I read it last time you nominated it. It is a fine story.

It is somewhere on the first page of Goodreads list of best short stories:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 9: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2609 comments Thanks Philina :)

message 10: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4979 comments Mod
Sue and BlueFlower, thanks for the seconds.

message 11: by George P. (new)

George P. | 572 comments I will second An Occurrence at Owl Creek bridge.
I see I can get the E-audiobook of it from my library.

message 12: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments I nominate The Tree(1979) by John Fowles. My paperback has 91 pages plus a 16 page intro.

And I second An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4021 comments Annette wrote: "I nominate The Tree(1979) by John Fowles. My paperback has 91 pages plus a 16 page intro.

And I second An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge."

Oh, yes! I second The Tree.

message 14: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thanks, Kathleen!

message 16: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you Terris :-)

message 17: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments I'll second An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.

I have a book with this story waiting to be read.

message 18: by Jesus (new)

Jesus | 177 comments I second The Tree

message 19: by Janelle (new)

message 20: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Oct 02, 2020 02:13AM) (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1725 comments George P. wrote: "I will second An Occurrence at Owl Creek bridge.
I see I can get the E-audiobook of it from my library."

It is so old it the public domain. You can download it from Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/searc...

And 8 audiobook versions at librivox:
https://librivox.org/search?q=An%20Oc...

message 21: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1661 comments I second The Tree.

message 23: by Frances (new)

Frances (francesperez) | 54 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx (pub 1997, 55 pp)."

I second this!!!

message 24: by Irphen (new)

Irphen | 479 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx (pub 1997, 55 pp)."

Second this

message 26: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2609 comments Thanks Frances and Irphen :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

message 28: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thank you, Jesus & Laurie!

message 29: by John_Dishwasher (new)

John_Dishwasher John_Dishwasher (johndishwasher) | 207 comments I nominate Noon Wine by Katherine Anne Porter. 65 pages. 1937.

message 30: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1748 comments I second The Tree.

message 31: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thanks, Terry!

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 20 comments Aubrey wrote: "I nominate Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx (pub 1997, 55 pp)."

I second Brokeback Mountain

message 33: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2609 comments Thanks Nicole :)

message 34: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4979 comments Mod
Current Status - check for errors, one week left

An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce, 36+- pages, 1890
J_BlueFlower - Bob, George P, Annette, Shaina, Liesl, Jeffery, Don,

Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx, 55 pages, 1997
Aubrey - Philina, Frances, Irphen, Nicole

The Tree by John Fowles, 112 pages, 1979
Annette - Kathleen, Jesus, Laurie, Terry,

The Star by Arthur C. Clarke, 10 pages, 1955
Bob - Sue, J_BlueFlower,

The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie, unsure of size less than 130 pages, 1993
Brina - Terris,

A Simple Heart by Gustave Flaubert, 72 pages, 1877
Janelle -

Noon Wine by Katherine Anne Porter, 65 pages, 1937
John_Dishwasher -

message 35: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 776 comments I nominate The Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs. Published in 1902 and 32 pages.

message 36: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Oct 07, 2020 12:32PM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3378 comments Mod
I second The Monkey's Paw. I reread this every year at school. It is an early example of its genre and helped to establish the genre. I'm not going to tell you which one, because that would be spoiling.

message 37: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 861 comments Marilyn wrote: "I nominate The Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs. Published in 1902 and 32 pages."

Second, that ones been on my radar before (simpsons :lol), but never got to it.

message 38: by * (new)

* (00000000) I second Brokeback Mountain

message 39: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2609 comments Thanks Kaila :)

message 40: by Chuck (new)

message 41: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2609 comments Thanks Chuck :)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments At 32 pages, and published in 1903, this one is found on Audible for only .70 cents and found for free on Kindle (and it is included in many many horror/fantasy short story collections!) I would like to nominate = The Magic Shop by H.G. Wells Thanks! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 43: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 364 comments Hi Jen,

We read “The Magic Shop” in September 2019.

message 44: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 685 comments I already read the leading two short stories, so I´ll second The Lone Ranger.

message 45: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you, Michaela :)

message 46: by Dan (last edited Oct 08, 2020 11:20AM) (new)

Dan | 80 comments I would like to nominate The Virgin and the Gypsy by D.H. Lawrence. It was not published (1930) until the manuscript was discovered in France shortly after his death, but it's supposed to be one of Lawrence's best love stories ever. The Kindle version of the novella weighs in at 85 pages.

message 47: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 574 comments I'd like to nominate Quitters, Inc by Stephen King - it's found in his collection, Night Shift and is ~20 pages in length.

message 48: by Mary (new)

Mary (marushka80) | 26 comments I second The Virgin and the Gypsy.

message 49: by George P. (new)

George P. | 572 comments Brokeback Mountain is in Annie Proulx's book Close Range: Wyoming Stories. I reccomed reading it even if it doesn't win, and also read Flaubert's A Simple Heart- it's in some anthologies.

message 50: by George P. (new)

George P. | 572 comments I would like to withdraw my second on Owl Creek Bridge (since it doesn't need it) and instead second Noon Wine by Katherine Anne Porter.
Porter won both the National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize for her Collected Stories of...

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.