Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > December 2020 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9602 comments Mod
December 2020 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination. Bookshelf

In the interest of variety, please wait a month to renominate a book that has been in the poll. These are the books from last month's poll that did not win:

Possession by A.S. Byatt, 1990, 555 pages
Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende, 1998, 432 pages
On the Beach by Nevil Shute, 1957, 296 pages
The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham, 1957, 220 pages
Blindness by José Saramago, 1995, 326 pages
The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles, 1969, 470 pages

2. Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

4. Only seven books, by seven different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The seven books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

5. One nomination and one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

5a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

6. Only one book per author; in the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

6a. Same author-multiple categories. The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month.

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1728 comments I think it is time we have some J.G. Ballard on our shelf. Some one (don't remember who) recently mentioned High-Rise as Ballard best book. It is on the 1001-books-you-should-read list, 208 pages, 1975

"When a class war erupts inside a luxurious apartment block, modern elevators become violent battlegrounds and cocktail parties degenerate into marauding attacks on "enemy" floors. In this visionary tale, human society slips into violent reverse as once-peaceful residents, driven by primal urges, re-create a world ruled by the laws of the jungle."

message 3: by Michaela (last edited Oct 01, 2020 05:47AM) (new)

Michaela | 686 comments I nominate Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich, the first book in the Native American Trilogy.

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2611 comments I nominate The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X (pub 1965, 466 pp).

message 5: by Brina (new)

Brina Ok, so I read both of those and enjoyed both for entirely different reasons. For variety I’ll nominate Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer and second Love Medicine.

message 6: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 366 comments I nominate Passing by Nella Larsen, first published in 1929.

message 7: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 370 comments I nominate The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan [first published January 15th 1990, 814 pages ]

message 8: by Luffy (new)

message 9: by George P. (new)

George P. | 572 comments I will second Passing.

message 10: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 366 comments Thanks, George P!

message 11: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 686 comments Thanks Brina and Luffy for the seconds! :)

message 12: by George P. (new)

George P. | 572 comments I will nominate The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano
of Chile.

message 13: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 370 comments You're welcome, Michaela.

message 14: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I second The Eye of the World.

message 15: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments I will nominate a lighter read for the last month of this interminable year, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson (234 pages, first published in 1938). And I second The Autobiography of Malcolm X.

message 16: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2611 comments Thanks Annette :) (although I wonder what your second says about aiming for a 'lighter' read XD)

message 17: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Aubrey wrote: "Thanks Annette :) (although I wonder what your second says about aiming for a 'lighter' read XD)"

I think Macolm X is a great book but I offer variety :)

message 18: by Wreade1872 (new)

Wreade1872 | 862 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I think it is time we have some J.G. Ballard on our shelf. Some one (don't remember who) recently mentioned High-Rise as Ballard best book. It is on the 1001-books-..."

Second for High-Rise.

message 19: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 370 comments Philina wrote: "I second The Eye of the World."

Thank you, Philina!

message 20: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 589 comments I nominate The Vagabond by Colette first published 1910

message 21: by Frances (new)

Frances (francesperez) | 54 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I think it is time we have some J.G. Ballard on our shelf. Some one (don't remember who) recently mentioned High-Rise as Ballard best book. It is on the 1001-books-..."

I second this! It’s on my TBR list. 😁

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) | 512 comments I second Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.

message 23: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (gd2brivard) | 171 comments I also second Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

message 24: by Stratos (new)

Stratos Chouvardas | 10 comments I second the Eye of the world

message 25: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 370 comments Stratos wrote: "I second the Eye of the world"

My thanks, Stratos!

message 26: by Jeffrey (last edited Oct 02, 2020 10:08AM) (new)

message 27: by Stratos (new)

Stratos Chouvardas | 10 comments No problem Luffy!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

message 29: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) | 87 comments Don wrote: "I second No Country for Old Men"

Thanks, Don!

message 30: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 556 comments I second No Country for Old Men.

message 31: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) | 87 comments Thanks, Shaina!

message 32: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3 comments I second Eye of the World

message 33: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4982 comments Mod
Jeffrey wrote: "I nominate No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

I second The Savage Detectives"

Sorry, No Country for Old Men was published in 2005 and is not eligible

message 34: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) | 87 comments Bob wrote: "Jeffrey wrote: "I nominate No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

I second The Savage Detectives"

Sorry, No Country for Old Men was published in 2005 an..."

Thanks, I'll choose another

message 35: by Jeffrey (new)

message 36: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thank you, Anne & Brenda!

message 37: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3276 comments Jeffrey wrote: "I nominate American Pastoral by Philip Roth"

I'll second American Pastoral

message 38: by Jeffrey (last edited Oct 02, 2020 04:54PM) (new)

Jeffrey (jwhitsitt) | 87 comments Thanks, Sue!

message 39: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1756 comments I second Passing.

message 40: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 366 comments Thanks, Terry!

message 41: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) | 370 comments Margaret wrote: "I second Eye of the World"

Relatively late thanks, Margaret! Whatever happens, the response has been above what I expected :)

message 42: by Marilyn (last edited Oct 03, 2020 09:45AM) (new)

Marilyn | 779 comments Janelle wrote: "I nominate The Vagabond by Colette first published 1910"

I second The Vagabond.

message 43: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 589 comments Thanks Marilyn :)

message 45: by Annette (new)

Annette | 526 comments Thanks, Nicole!

message 46: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 67 comments Second Passing.

message 47: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 366 comments Antonomasia wrote: "Second Passing."

Thank you!

message 48: by Julie (new)

Julie | 646 comments Jeffrey wrote: "I nominate American Pastoral by Philip Roth"

I second this

message 49: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  Jacobson | 39 comments I second The Autobiography of Malcom X

message 50: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  Jacobson | 39 comments I nominate Nathan Coulter by Wendell Berry 180 pages

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.