Play Book Tag discussion

Dance Hall of the Dead (Navajo Mysteries, #2)
This topic is about Dance Hall of the Dead
September 2020: Other Books > (POLL & BINGO) Dance Hall of the Dead / Tony Hillerman - 3***

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6180 comments Dance Hall of the Dead (Navajo Mysteries, #2) by Tony Hillerman
Dance Hall Of the Dead – Tony Hillerman
Audiobook performed by George Guidall
3***

Book number two in Tony Hillerman's Joe Leaphorn series has Joe investigating the disappearance of two Native-American boys. His efforts are complicated by the unique laws and sacred religious rites of the Zuñi people (Joe is Navajo). There are also federal agents (FBI? DEA?) involved and an important archeological dig in the middle of his search area.

I love the way Leaphorn thinks things through before acting. And I like learning little Native American cultural information in the midst of the mystery plot. Definitely a series I will continue.

George Guidall does a good job on the audio. He has good pacing and I really like the way he voices Leaphorn. There were times when Guidall’s performance transported me to my childhood, listening to my grandfather (or grandmother, or aunts or uncles) telling stories in the dark, as we all sat on the porch of a summer evening. But the press of daily life got in my way and the library deadline was fast approaching, so I abandoned the audio and finished reading the second half of the book in a day.

(Note: Updated on second reading - 29Sep20)

LINK to my review

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments I read one of his daughter's books which I think really honored Joe Leaphorn's character. I plan to read one of his books this fall.