VICTOBER 2021 discussion

Victober 2020 > Currently reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 196 (196 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 102 comments Mod
A 2020 currently reading thread . . . Victober is almost upon us. What are you starting with?

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (hfpotier) | 1 comments The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

message 3: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 9 comments The Pickwick Papers

message 4: by April (new)

April | 137 comments I've started Shirley to prevent against getting behind the schedule.

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice | 27 comments I'm going to start with Shirley and Glass Town, if they arrive from the library in time. :)

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (goodreadscomrumbelle517) | 16 comments The Curious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevens.

message 7: by Lana (new)

Lana | 31 comments Jane Eyre

message 8: by Electra (new)

Electra (electraone) | 22 comments Probably Jane Austen ? Not sure 🤔

message 9: by Nada (new)

Nada (nadaoq) | 66 comments Dombey and Son

message 10: by Marie (new)

Marie | 5 comments I'm probably going to start my audiobook a little bit early. It's going to be The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. My first physical book will be The Goblin and the Princess but I still have 160 pages of my last September book to get through

message 11: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 28 comments The Pickwick Papers too!

message 12: by Tom (last edited Oct 01, 2020 08:48PM) (new)

Tom Britz | 16 comments I've started The Beetle by Richard Marsh. I've reached the half-way mark and starting to really like this book. It reads quite modern with a smart-alek protagonist facing what amounts to an ancient evil.

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth | 10 comments The Story of a Governess by Mrs. Oliphant. I've only read some of her supernatural stories, so I will try a novel.

message 14: by Anki (new)

Anki (shadrachanki) | 7 comments I am just over two-thirds of the way through Jane Eyre, so I'll be finishing that up before moving on to...something else. I have a lot of potential options, and I am having a difficult time narrowing them down!

message 15: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whiteislephoenix) | 31 comments I think I’ll start with The Story of a Governess and Shirley. If the first doesn’t capture my attention, I’ll start Kilvert’s Diary instead.

message 16: by Alisha (new)

Alisha (alishad) | 7 comments Miss Miles by Mary Taylor, friend of Charlotte Bronte. I'm excited to get into it because I have no idea what to expect!

message 17: by Jane (new)

Jane | 1 comments I'm starting with Jane Eyre, which I have been meaning to read for years.

message 18: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (mlafaive) | 1 comments I just started listening to North and South. Tomorrow I'll be starting Shriley and Kilvert's Diary. It's going to be a great reading month!

message 19: by Lorri (last edited Sep 30, 2020 04:34PM) (new)

Lorri | 65 comments I started My Reminiscences and plan to read chapter 1 of Shirley tomorrow!

message 20: by Gia (new)

Gia | 2 comments The Hound of the Baskervilles

message 21: by Maria (new)

Maria Lugo | 4 comments Katie wrote: "A 2020 currently reading thread . . . Victober is almost upon us. What are you starting with?"

I plan to start with North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell, Shirley by Charlotte Brontë, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and to top it off Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Harding. I might add Wuthering Heights ( been ages since I read it last) and possibly Great Expectations by Charles Dickens! Whew 😅 I hope I can do this!

message 22: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (voyageofatimewanderer) | 12 comments I am starting with A Tale of Two Cities on audio and The Englishwoman in Egypt as my text read. And sprinkling in some of Meta Orred's poems and starting the Shirley group read, so lots on the go at the beginning of the month!

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie Lumsden (katie-booksandthings) | 102 comments Mod
I'm starting with Wuthering Heights (a reread) and Mugby Junction :)

message 24: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 9 comments I have started New Grub Street by Gissing.
Have also read first chapter of Shirley.

message 25: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (esse4) | 1 comments Hi everyone! I’m starting with Tales of the Mystery & Macabre by Elizabeth Gaskell!

message 26: by Maria (new)

Maria Lugo | 4 comments That sounds so interesting! Let us know how you like it! Happy Reading!

message 27: by George (new)

George (the_second_hand_book_collector) | 3 comments I'm about to start Shirley, and may start The Time Machine by H.G. Wells later today.

message 28: by Joanne Dalton (new)

Joanne Dalton | 4 comments 'Shirley', though it's probably my least favourite Bronte novel and also reading Sheridan le Fanu's 'In a Glass Darkly'.

message 29: by Melly (new)

Melly  | 1 comments im hoping to start with the Warden by Anthony Trollope. This is the first time ill be reading any of his books so hopefully i enjoy it

message 30: by Rose (new)

Rose (rosedh) | 4 comments Shirley and Phantastes at the moment.

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (_elizabethmartin) | 3 comments The Warden by Anthony Trollope

message 32: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Watson | 46 comments I’m continuing with my theme in Australian Victorian classics. I’ve started ‘Seven Little Australians’ - apparently very cute and wholesome in its Australiana feel.

Definitely looks like I’ll be shoving Australian literature down all your throats this month 🤣

message 33: by Lost_In_Kudzu (new)

Lost_In_Kudzu | 1 comments I will be starting with Shirley and the Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories, both of which will be ongoing all month. Also reading Queen Victoria by Lucy Worsley.

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (classicbibliophile) | 9 comments Started listening to Dorian Gray, and reading Jezebel's Daughter and A Study in Scarlet.

message 35: by April (new)

April | 137 comments I've started Shirley, and I've finished the short story Green Tea by J. Sheridan Le Fanu.

message 36: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Perkins | 13 comments I was reading Opium and Absinthe by Lydia Kang, a Victorian-era murder mystery with a Dracula twist (!), but I’m going to put it aside for now. As an aside, it’s excellent! I also read The Impossible Girl by Kang, also Victorian-era, about resurrectionists (grave robbers!) and their race to find the best specimens while doing their best to avoid becoming specimens themselves!

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Twomey | 6 comments I will only be reading Shirley with the readalong this month. Hopefully next year I'll be able to take part in more challenges. But to start with I intend to go easy because I'm a slow reader, have been wanting to read Shirley, and dislike reading more than one book at once (as I discovered much to my detriment in the JAJuly earlier this year). I look forward to chatting with lots of you more throughout this month especially in our readalong thread!

message 38: by Merry (new)

Merry (lettersfromthelighthouse) | 0 comments I want to finish off my September reads first: Andrea Barrett's The Voyage of the Narwhal and James Hogg's Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner. Neither quite Victorian, but close enough to get me in the mood. (The Hogg is from 1824, and Voyage is a historical novel about polar exploration set during the 1850s). After that, I will likely pick up a Dickens, but I haven't decided whether it will be Oliver Twist or Bleak House, and I certainly haven't planned further than that. XD (Mood reader, hey!)

message 39: by MacKenzie (new)

MacKenzie Wangberg | 4 comments I’m starting out by reading Shirley with the group and The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy. I’m so excited! 😊

message 40: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 20 comments Starting out with Love and Mr Lewisham by H.G Wells. I'll have to catch up with the Shirley readalong as I'd rather read a physical copy and my library doesn't open until Tuesday

message 41: by Angie (new)

Angie | 12 comments I'm starting with a short story: The Withered Arm by Thomas Hardy.

message 42: by Mary (new)

Mary Stewart | 1 comments Innes wrote: "I am starting with A Tale of Two Cities on audio and The Englishwoman in Egypt as my text read. And sprinkling in some of Meta Orred's poems and starting the Shirley group..."
I'm so glad someone else decided to tackle A Tale of Two Cities! I've switching between a physical copy and the audio book read by Simon Vance. So excited for that famous ending!

message 43: by Merry (new)

Merry (lettersfromthelighthouse) | 0 comments Mary wrote: "Innes wrote: "I am starting with A Tale of Two Cities on audio and The Englishwoman in Egypt as my text read. And sprinkling in some of Meta Orred's poems and starting the..."

I read Tale of Two Cities for Victober last year and it was amazing! You're in for a treat!

message 44: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (caffeechino) | 16 comments I read Shirley earlier this year so I'm going to read Villette instead

message 45: by Alvaro (new)

Alvaro Salles | 1 comments I'm doing victober for the first time! Now I'm reading The Turn of the Screw

message 46: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (ellamaude) | 2 comments Started with The Princess and the Goblin and will read Shirley this evening.

message 47: by Faye (new)

Faye (fayetintin) | 1 comments I'm starting with Shirley and The Professor both by Charlotte Brontë!

message 48: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Fowler | 15 comments I'm on Chapter 10 of Middlemarch. Reading reviews of it had me both afraid and intrigued. I actually really like it. Wasn't expecting it to be funny but it's very witty.

message 49: by April (new)

April | 137 comments Cathie and Alvaro, welcome! Victober is so much fun. Please feel free to jump in and ask any questions you need to--someone will try to answer. Enjoy!

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanroberts2012) | 2 comments I started with Silas Marner by George Eliot. And I’ve also read the first two chapters of Shirley for the group read-along.

« previous 1 3 4