What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 80s Romance/Family Saga about Edwardian minor nobility, main character marries boring older brother while secretly in love with caddish younger brother, comes to realise the older brother is better. Two sons both fight in First World War.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Muireann (new)

Muireann | 5 comments Looking for a book of my mother's I read surreptitiously some time in the 1980s (I would have been told I was Far Too Young!). A bit of a grand /wealthy English family saga taking in events of the late 19th and early 20thC.
Plot focussed on a woman in love with one man (who is clearly a rake and a cad) but for reasons marries his boring and staid older brother. They are all minor nobility of some kind. They have a miserable marriage due to being repressed but have two male children on whom they dote. The two boys are both killed in the First World War and the parents are devastated.
At Queen Alexandra's funeral she looks at her husband and realises he's actually good and kind and she is in love with him after all. They have good sex for the first time ever and she has another (one/two?) child/ren, girls this time.
I might be imagining this but I think the girl child attempts to assassinate Hitler or Mussolini or someone like that.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35383 comments Mod
Muireann, that's a good start, but we need more information in the header/topic title (e.g., plot, main characters). Many members only read the headers. We have thousands of romance requests.

Copy more plot details from your message #1 to the header by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)