YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Archive > Banned books week

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4680 comments Mod
As I was reminded in another group, we are in the middle of banned books week (September 27 - October 3rd). I think it is crazy how many books are still challenged and for some of the most ridiculous reasons.

These are the top 100 most banned and challenged books for the last decade. What are your thoughts?
http://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/fr...

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Elliott | 1533 comments I've read 7 of them, which is less than I'd thought! Honestly, I think the whole concept of banning books is ridiculous, I don't agree with censorship and think that everyone should be able to choose what they want to read, whatever it is. I actually did a blog post about this a while back if anyone's interested, about parents censoring their kids' reading: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016...

message 3: by Brittany (new)

I'm only at 11 and a few of those are series that I never finished.

Also good post Jo!

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo Elliott | 1533 comments Thanks Brittany!

message 5: by Gord (new)

Gord | 546 comments Wait, they banned Goosebumps!? I mean I can kind of see it but still.

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Right Gord?? Its kind of crazy

message 7: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2227 comments Mod
Goosebumps? No! Scary Stories to tell in the Dark? How dare they! THE Bible??? I'm not really all that religious, but come on, this is ridiculous!

If I ever have kids, Goosebumps and Scary Stories are two of the first series I'm gonna introduce to them 😂

message 8: by Brittany (new)

I actually never read Scary Stories I dont think. So how many on that list of banned books have you read Lili?

message 9: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2227 comments Mod
Scary Stories is so good! I think maybe 6 or so. And a lot of them I read when I was way younger, surprisingly.