Play Book Tag discussion

2020 Activities and Challenges > Poll Ballot Tally Announcement -- Wrapping up the Game

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Well, we are 36 days out from the U.S. presidential election and so Poll Ballot Tally is in the final stretch!

Stump reading is being done from key swing states, grassroots organizations are supporting their candidates, and strategy is at all all time high as various scenarios are proposed and played out.

I have had a few inquiries behind the scenes about timing of the end of the game, and wanted to make a broader announcement. Here's the scoop....

This challenge will end at 8:00pm EST on November 3rd SHARP! I will NOT accept reviews posted even a minute after that for any reason (I'm looking at you Kanye West).

I am going to attempt to log on and actually lock the thread at 8:00, but no promises because I am very much into watching actual election results roll in and will likely not be so concerned about Poll Ballot Tally. But, the handy time stamps on the posts will be the fall back.

If you do not live on the East Coast, then please chat with your team and confirm what time that is in your area. Also, be aware that there is a time change here in the U.S. on November 1st when we "fall back" an hour...and fall from EDT to EST.

All challenges to any reviews posted must be submitted to me by Private Message by 8:00pm EST on Thursday, November 5th. No challenges will be accepted after that time.

Also, challenges will only be accepted to reviews posted since the last time that I did a scoring update. Honestly, we haven't had many challenges, and I genuinely hope that remains the case. I truly appreciate how diligent people have been when selecting their books and tags.

Finally, just like the real election, you will not get Poll Ballot Tally results immediately. I have nightmares about the number of reviews y'all are going to dump on me in the final days, so I simply do not know how long it will take me to get through them all.

So, we are going to stick with our election theme, and I will be like the Electoral College and will make an official announcement no later than December 14, 2020.

Other questions? Ask away!

message 2: by Joanne (last edited Sep 28, 2020 06:45AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8102 comments Nicole saidI will NOT accept reviews posted even a minute after that for any reason (I'm looking at you Kanye West).

😂😂

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9071 comments Fabulous Job Nicole, Anita, and mods. Its been fun. I've got four books left to make 35 states. I've read 53 books out of 91 for this challenge, and I'm proud of that. I'm proud of all of us, for our commitment to something so fun, and something we could do together. Congratulations to the mods, and to all of us.....

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7822 comments Nicole R wrote: ", we are going to stick with our election theme, and I will be like the Electoral College and will make an official announcement no later than December 14, 2020.*

🤣

At least I am confident that the final Poll Tally results will be announced by then....unlike our general election! Although I hope for a landslide from in person voting.

Thanks Nicole! You and Anita have had a challenge here yourselves IMHO. Different but still a challenge. Merci beaucoups!

i do have a suggestion for after the polls close and challenge deadline passes, and we are all awaiting results (and as a distraction from the US post election political chaos): the two teams share their stories - strategy, tools, roles different team members took, team building. I think it would be fascinating to compare notes.

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Theresa wrote: "i do have a suggestion for after the polls close and challenge deadline passes, and we are all awaiting results (and as a distraction from the US post election political chaos): the two teams share their stories - strategy, tools, roles different team members took, team building. I think it would be fascinating to compare notes."

Y'all are free to discuss whatever you want related to the game after it is finished. It won't be something the admins open and foster, but you can certainly start a thread for anyone who wants to chat about it.

message 6: by Nicole R (last edited Sep 28, 2020 01:19PM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Nicole R wrote: "All challenges to any reviews posted must be submitted to me by Private Message by 8:00pm EST on Thursday, November 5th. No challenges will be accepted after that time."

Clarification on this point: If I have a question as I am doing scoring (I can't find the tag you are claiming, the link you posted isn't working, or something like that), then that does not count within that 48-hour window.

The 48-hour window is for one team to challenge another. And, if that happens (as always happens) I will reach out to you privately to resolve the issue.

message 7: by Karin (last edited Sep 28, 2020 01:36PM) (new)

Karin | 7301 comments Wow, Dec 14, eh? So be it! I understand why it needs to be that way, and thanks for all the time you have been putting into this.

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Technically, the US House of Reps doesn’t certify the Electoral College vote until January 6th! I took pity on you 😉

message 9: by Karin (last edited Sep 28, 2020 02:00PM) (new)

Karin | 7301 comments Nicole R wrote: "Technically, the US House of Reps doesn’t certify the Electoral College vote until January 6th! I took pity on you 😉"

Thanks, we appreciate it greatly. Two months feels like longer than it is when awaiting results, so it's great it's not three.

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7822 comments Karin wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Technically, the US House of Reps doesn’t certify the Electoral College vote until January 6th! I took pity on you 😉"

Thanks, we appreciate it greatly. Two months feels like longe..."

I don't know, Karin. I suspect the time will fly by because 1. We'll all be busy reading to finish other challenges like Popsugar before year end which have been neglected - or reading all those no tag or too long books calling our names, and 2. that no matter how effectively we have each blocked out obsessing about the state of our country and the political news, we are going to be obsessed with it between Nov. 3 and January 20th.

message 11: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Theresa wrote: "no matter how effectively we have each blocked out obsessing about the state of our country and the political news, we are going to be obsessed with it between Nov. 3 and January 20th.

This will be what likely contributes to slowing me down. How am I supposed to focus on anything other than obsessively following the news about the election?!?!?

message 12: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Karin wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "Technically, the US House of Reps doesn’t certify the Electoral College vote until January 6th! I took pity on you 😉"

Thanks, we appreciate it greatly. Two months feels like longe..."

Karin I think you can relax. You have such a huge lead, I don't think there is any way for us to catch up.

Now, I'd like to say the same thing about Joe Biden, especially given the bombshell about Trump's tax returns.

message 13: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Nicole R wrote: "Well, we are 36 days out from the U.S. presidential election and so Poll Ballot Tally is in the final stretch!

Stump reading is being done from key swing states, grassroots organizations are supp..."

Kanye West????

Nicole, I'll do my part to finish as early as possible. I'm almost caught up with my backlog and I'm going to try to write shorter reviews. If my husband has his way, I'll be done October 3.

message 14: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2618 comments Ah but will we accept the ballot results? ;)

message 15: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Kate, these are important questions. It may take an emergency Supreme Court decision to truly settle this. In which case, it could go farther into January before we have a Poll Ballot President!

And, just to be clear, I am not only the Electoral College, but I am also the Supreme Court. So much pressure! 😉

message 16: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments So, what does Kanye West have to do with this?

message 17: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Pop culture/election joke.

Kanye West made news last month in being one minute late to file the paperwork to be on the Presidential primary ballot in Wisconsin. He wasn’t allowed on.

It sparked online debate of whether a 5:00 deadline meant the time the clock turned from 4:59 to 5:00 or whether he should have had through the 5:00 minute and time wouldn’t have expired until the clock turned to 5:01.

It was covered by a lot of news outlets and was joked about on late night TV.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.poli...

message 18: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Thanks Nicole. I don't know what he's thinking. His wife would be a better candidate.

message 19: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I do not know what he is thinking either! While Kim K would be a better candidate than Kanye, that is a low bar. I think they both are horrible. Lol.

And, in Poll Ballot world, 8:00 means as the clock changes from 7:59 to 8:00 😉

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8102 comments KateNZ wrote: "Ah but will we accept the ballot results? ;)"

🤣

message 21: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8102 comments Nicole R wrote: "Kate, these are important questions. It may take an emergency Supreme Court decision to truly settle this. In which case, it could go farther into January before we have a Poll Ballot President!

..."

Not a better woman for it!

message 22: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2283 comments You've been doing an amazing job and this has been a fun challenge!

message 23: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8828 comments Nicole R wrote: "I do not know what he is thinking either! While Kim K would be a better candidate than Kanye, that is a low bar. I think they both are horrible. Lol. ..."

As we all know, I'm not American, but I have to agree. LOL!

message 24: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 2014 comments Republicans were providing funding and advising and even delivering paperwork for West’s “campaign “, on the theory that he would take away votes from Biden. Luckily they didn’t do it well in Wisconsin, where I live.

message 25: by Theresa (last edited Sep 29, 2020 09:50PM) (new)

Theresa | 7822 comments 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh have you all given me the laugh I needed today!

message 26: by Karin (last edited Oct 01, 2020 04:04PM) (new)

Karin | 7301 comments Nicole R wrote: "I do not know what he is thinking either! While Kim K would be a better candidate than Kanye, that is a low bar. I think they both are horrible. Lol.

And, in Poll Ballot world, 8:00 means as the ..."

It should always mean that for a deadline, because it doesn't stay 8:00 longer than a second (I am not going to break it down to smaller units that that :) ). 8:00:00 is how people ought to think of it, because nearly right away it's 8:00:01 and I can't think of any race where that isn't important, even smaller units than that, so it goes with all of this.

As for Kanye West or the Kardashians--I'm not keen on them entering politics, either and I am a hard and fast, life-long independent or unenrolled is more how I think of it (even before I moved to the USA).

message 27: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments Nicole,

Is there anything we can do to make the last few days of post easier for you to score?

Would it be helpful if we provide a link to the review, rather than the whole review itself?

If we have a number of books with the same tag, would be better to list them in a row, or even in one post together? (If so, I would provide a link for the reviews, and be sure to clearly separate each book.)

Or should we just do what we're already doing?

message 28: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Thanks for asking, Nancy!

You can continue to post your reviews as you have been, with either a link to your review or the full text of your review either works for me.

And if you want to try and organize your posts by states that would be wonderful but certainly not required! Ultimately, it only saves me a little scrolling time.

The one thing I do ask is that you please continue just posting on review per post! Do NOT put several reviews in a single post. I can easily miss them if there is more than one in a single post because I scroll to the next avatar pic to cue me that I am at the next review.

Shockingly, I do not actually read all of those reviews. 😉

Other than that, just double check those tag links when you post! I know sometimes they move and if I cannot find them I will still follow up with you (though probably by PM since the thread will be locked) but the less I have to search for them the quicker and easier my scoring goes.

message 29: by NancyJ (last edited Oct 28, 2020 10:35PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5785 comments OK Thanks. OMG I am shocked that you don't read all of our spectacular reviews! I mean, who else are they for?

Do you plan to update the scores once or twice before next election day? If I can anticipate those scoring dates, I can try to double check my links (and those of my teammates) closer to your scoring time.

message 30: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I honestly do not know if it when I will update the scores between now and the end of the game. If I have time, I definitely want to!

But between my full time job, my part time job, and looking for an apartment so I can move (again) I cannot give you any kind of timeline.

If it happens, it will just be a surprise! Lol

message 31: by punxsygal (new)

punxsygal | 290 comments Nicole, thank you for all your hard work on this challenge!

message 32: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments You are so welcome! This was one of our favorite games to design and it was fun to watch! I am so glad y'all liked it and were so engaged!