Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author — October 2020 — Leslie Budewitz

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Sep 27, 2020 07:00PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 20669 comments Mod
Our featured author for October 2020 is Leslie Budewitz. Miss Budewitz is an Agatha Award-winning author, who has penned two cozy mystery series, short stories, and a nonfiction book. She had also won or been nominated for Derringer, Anthony and Macavity awards.

You can visit her online at:
Twitter: LeslieBudewitz
Facebook: Leslie Budewitz Author

SPICE SHOP series:
1. Assault and Pepper
2. Guilty as Cinnamon
3. Killing Thyme
4. Chai Another Day
5. The Solace of Bay Leaves (Oct 20, 2020)

FOOD LOVER’S VILLAGE series:
1. Death Al Dente
2. Crime Rib
3. Butter Off Dead
4. Treble at the Jam Fest
5. As the Christmas Cookie Crumbles

OTHER:

* The Cozy Cookbook
* The Mystery Writers of America Cookbook: Wickedly Good Meals and Desserts to Die For
* Writes of Passage
* A Cup of Comfort for Cat Lovers: Stories that celebrate our feline friends
* A Cup of Comfort for Dog Lovers II
* Fish Tales: The Guppy Anthology
* Books, Crooks and Counselors: How to Write Accurately About Criminal Law and Courtroom Procedure

As always, please remember to use the “spoiler” tags so as not to ruin big reveals or plot points for others. Thanks, and have fun!

message 2: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 1351 comments I read the first Food Lover's Village book and to be quite honest, I was bored with it. Granted, I listened to it on audio and the narrator was not good at all. So I want to give this series & author another chance - this time with an ebook. It may be better.

I also want to try the first book in the Spice Shop series. Again, I will try it on audio because I know this narrator this time, whom I like.

I'd like to see what others' opinions are of this author's works.

message 3: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I have the first book in each series, but have not yet read them. I’m planning to read Death Al Dente, so we’ll see how that goes.

message 4: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I’m about halfway through Death Al Dente. So far not too bad, and reads fast.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7639 comments I've now read the first 3 books in each series after just finishing Butter Off Dead last night. I'm enjoying both series and am looking forward to reading more.

message 6: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L wrote: "I’m about halfway through Death Al Dente. So far not too bad, and reads fast."

I finished last night, and thought it was a solid start to the series. I will have to look out for the rest of the series.

message 7: by Kait (new)

Kait Carson | 182 comments I read Death Al Dente when it was first released and thought it was a wonderful start to a new series. I also found myself intrigued with the small town and the cast of characters. One of the things I look for in a new series is if I think the setting and characters have anyplace to move and grow in this case, I knew I'd enjoy sticking with them and I have.

message 8: by Kait (new)

Kait Carson | 182 comments I read Assault and Pepper when it was first released. If I remember correctly, I won an ARC. I know nothing about Seattle and I wondered how a big city would fit into a cozy scenario. Budewitz has created a small town in the Pike Place Market and it's a place you want to visit. Well done!

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimsbooklists) I was approached by the publisher for her Spice Shop mysteries a few months ago to review the latest, The Solace of Bay Leaves. I read it without reading any of the previous but still really enjoyed it. When I realized the series was being featured here this month I decided to pick up the first one and was thrilled it was available from my library on Overdrive. I really liked it and plan to finish out the series soon.

message 10: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I’m glad people are liking this author’s books! 🙂

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (cj-mo) | 1352 comments It's been a while since I've read these, but I had found "Death al Dente" to move a little slow, but I enjoyed the next one "Crime Rib" a lot better. I've not read any of the Spice Shop series, but will have to look into those.

message 12: by Alice (new)

Alice | 2305 comments Assault and PepperAssault and Pepper by Leslie Budewitz. 3 Stars out of 5 This book really isn't grabbing me. I know it is the first book in the series and there is a location setting and piles of characters. She really is building on the Seattle setting so you really know what PIke's Place Market looks, smells and sounds like. She has blurbs at the start of each chapeter with facts about Seattle. I thought for book one in the series you needed to get to know the characters better and perhaps less characters. Nice recipes at back of book.

message 13: by Sandi (new)

Sandi | 4 comments I've been a member of Goodreads forever and a member of this group since 2017. There is so much good information here, that I think it's time I become more active.

Death al Dente - here I come......

message 14: by Trish (last edited Oct 27, 2020 03:03AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 288 comments I decided to give Death al Dente a go. Enjoyable, and the recipes sounded really tasty, but I'm not sure it adds much new to the cozy genre, except, perhaps the Montana setting.