Amazon exiles discussion

Voting threads > Theme 274 - Cowboy Heroes - Songs about Cowboys - Val - (closed 10pm Sun 4th Oct)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by theDuke (last edited Sep 28, 2020 06:09AM) (new)

theDuke | 5710 comments Forthcoming Themes:

Theme 275 - Give me the time of day: Any song title which includes any of the following: morning, midday/noon, afternoon, evening, midnight or any specific clock time - Fishy Jim
Theme 276 - Wildcard Round 11
Theme 277 - This Is Us - any artist/band name or song title containing any of the following words/names: Tech, Craig, Duke, Duncan, Foe, Nick, Tim, Timothy, Jemma, Val, Valerie, Derek, Collette, Lez, Les, Lesley, Brass, Neck, Sussex, Welsh, Mark, Gordon, Fishy, Jim, James, Steve, Helen, Melon, Sera, 69, Kevin - Helen
Theme 278 - More Tea, Vicar? - any song title with one of the requirements for a cup of Rosie Lee (cup, tea, leaf, bag, saucer, mug, milk, sugar, etc) - Brass Neck
Theme 279 - All life's here - Any song with variants of the word life, live, lives, living, lived, alive etc in the title - Sera69
Theme 280 - *Conditional - on folks finding enough suitable noms. Nominators may need to provide links for the whole concert with the time stamps for the nominated song*
"We're playing...where?!" Live performances in unusual venues/places. Some bands have performed at some odd places over the eons. So, pick a song (and YT vid link, if available), performed at strange places. It could be out at sea, on an active volcano, in the middle of a jungle or in a desert, in a war torn country, at an ancient site, like an Inca/Aztec city, an isolated monastery on top of mountain...and so on...you get the drift. The odder the better - theDuke
Theme 281 - "Boom Bang-a-Bang" - Onomatopoeias in song titles. - KJS
Theme 282 - Up or Down ... song title must contain the word 'up' and/or 'down' - SussexWelsh
Theme 283 - ‘Show us yer mettle’ .... any heavy, death, doom, rock etc metal song from any genre all and everything - Jemma
Theme 284 - Under The Hood - song titles with a named component of a car - Brass Neck
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theme nominations thread link:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Well...howdy pardner! :)

First up, i believe we still need a couple more themes added to the list, to get us up to late December, where we shall once again return to the winter cream of rounds. So put your thinking caps on please, and by all means add your next one in soon, thanks.

Secondly, I would like some feedback regarding my forthcoming theme 280 "We're playing...where?" - live performances in odd places.. Plenty of time yet before that comes around, but i'd like to get an idea if it's viable or not. I just want to know if folks have found a suitable nom, to gauge the numbers, thanks. If it proves to be too tricky for some of you, then i may need to modify or change my theme. No rush!

Right...time for ya'll to polish those spurs, don ya leathers, boots, hat & the lasso, pony up an' head 'em up an' move 'em out......cos it's cowboy time! Yeeehaw!

Val loves 'em..and hopefully you do too. Now then, I've redacted the wording in the heading, as there's too much to fit in the heading, so i hope it's still right, Val? Anyhoo......so here's the latest theme in it's entirety:

'My heroes have always been cowboys, And they still are, it seems... (take it away Willie) - give us a cowboy song you like, bring out your Roys, your Texs and your Genes, your Frankies and Martys, the Saturday-morning serials, or maybe a film or TV theme or soundtrack, any song that has you tilting your hat back and winding up your lasso'.

Let's have your cowboys 'n' 'slingers songs, & same as always with a suitable link please, thanks.

And ya'll find me in the saloon wettin' me whistle at the bar come 10 o' clock next Wednesday evening.

So long ya'll! :)

message 2: by Jemma (last edited Sep 27, 2020 02:59PM) (new)

Jemma | 878 comments Apologies only just noticed no gunslingers. 🤪

message 3: by TheFoe (last edited Sep 27, 2020 03:05PM) (new)

TheFoe | 2088 comments Hi Duke, to be honest I'm struggling with your theme. Unless you know an unusual location where a band/singer that you like has played, I don't see how you can find out if they have or not.

Riding on

No Glory In The West - Orville Peck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0TA...

Sorry not being dumb but why can't we have gunslingers, this wasn't mentioned in the OP.

message 4: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5710 comments Folks can PM me with their feedback on my theme 280, save clogging this thread up thanks.

message 5: by Serial (last edited Sep 27, 2020 03:07PM) (new)

Serial Sock Trumpet (serialsocktrumpet) | 1884 comments after foe

Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kAU3...

message 6: by theDuke (last edited Sep 28, 2020 05:42AM) (new)

theDuke | 5710 comments TheFoe wrote: "Hi Duke, to be honest I'm struggling with your theme. Unless you know an unusual location where a band/singer that you like has played, I don't see how you can find out if they have or not.

Ridin..."

Well i presumed from Val's theme, that she's referring to actual cattle cowboys not the gunslinger kind. At least that's my interpretation of her theme. But could Val clarify this please, thanks.

Edit: Gunslingers are allowed.

message 7: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3772 comments No Glory In The West - Orville Peck
Rider In The Rain - Randy Newman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuoJV...

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 8974 comments After Brass

Lonesome Cowboy Dave - Pere Ubu

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OKMfNiv...

message 9: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Not sure of the difference between a gunslinger and a cowboy. Do cowboys deal specifically with cattle? Would something like 'High Noon' be disqualified?

message 10: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Apologies to anyone who was going to nominate a more traditional version of this song...

Western Plain - Van Morrison

https://youtu.be/kXdy-SV7gYo

message 11: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15164 comments I'm happy with gunslingers. Originally I was thinking about Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, etc but really anything to do with the Old West is fine with me. "High Noon" - either instrumental or with lyrics is more than acceptable. So is Liberty Valance. Marty Robbins did a whole album of Gunfighter Ballads. My nom will be from a film and they all had their guns out defending the town.

message 12: by Val (last edited Sep 27, 2020 04:34PM) (new)

Val H. | 15164 comments After Gordon

From the great film, "Rio Bravo", it's the first song I want to nominate. "Get Along Home Cindy, Cindy" is just a bonus for those who want to keep listening.

My Rifle, Pony And Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson & Walter Brennan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuAj...

message 13: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15164 comments theDuke wrote: "Granted there are plenty of movies that mixes the two....but for definition, my understanding of a cowboy, they aren't fighters in the norm...."

I appreciate the distinction Duke but I think films have muddied the waters too much to apply it here, Most cowboys carried guns and there are so many stories of cattle rustlers, land grabbers, water rights, sheep vs cows, etc that I think most of the traditional cowboys had to resort to their guns. Roy, Hop Along, the Lone Ranger, etc - why those blokes could shoot around corners!

message 14: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments After Val

El Paso - Marty Robbins

https://youtu.be/-zBzZJd-nfw

message 15: by Jemma (last edited Sep 28, 2020 02:49AM) (new)

Jemma | 878 comments After Lez

El Paso - Marty Robbins
The Last Cowboy Song - The Highwaymen

https://youtu.be/V45IvQDU4b0

message 16: by Sera69 (last edited Sep 28, 2020 01:47AM) (new)

Sera69 | 1564 comments After Jemma

El Paso - Marty Robbins
Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy) - Big & Rich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt0_o...

message 17: by Fishy_Jim (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 928 comments I'm OK with the unusual location for a live performance as long as it doesn't need to have an audience present.
I do have a query about this theme, though. Does the music have to be CW, or can it just be the title that relates to cowboys and the wild west?

message 18: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3772 comments Fishy_Jim wrote: "I'm OK with the unusual location for a live performance as long as it doesn't need to have an audience present.
I do have a query about this theme, though. Does the music have to be CW, or can it j..."

Pere Ubu ain't C&W. My alternative nom was Thin Lizzy's Cowboy Song. It's the title or subject matter rather than the style?

message 19: by theDuke (last edited Sep 28, 2020 06:05AM) (new)

theDuke | 5710 comments Fishy_Jim wrote: "I'm OK with the unusual location for a live performance as long as it doesn't need to have an audience present.
I do have a query about this theme, though. Does the music have to be CW, or can it j..."

Sounds like you're thinking in same vein as me for my choice..which might make for a somewhat one sided playlist! Would you be referring to certain well known prog band, perchance?!

message 20: by Fishy_Jim (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 928 comments theDuke wrote: "Fishy_Jim wrote: "I'm OK with the unusual location for a live performance as long as it doesn't need to have an audience present.
I do have a query about this theme, though. Does the music have to ..."

My choice involves a band beginning with C playing in a claustrophobic outbuilding. Does your's?

message 21: by Fishy_Jim (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 928 comments After theDuke:

El Paso - Marty Robbins
Man With No Name - Ghoultown
King Of The Cowboys - Bill Nelson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePuE9...

message 22: by theDuke (last edited Sep 28, 2020 06:17AM) (new)

theDuke | 5710 comments Nup..I'm thinking of summin' else then.

message 23: by theDuke (last edited Sep 28, 2020 08:01AM) (new)

theDuke | 5710 comments Okay Val, thanks for clearing that up..OP now corrected.

TheFoe wrote: "Hi Duke, to be honest I'm struggling with your theme. Unless you know an unusual location where a band/singer that you like has played, I don't see how you can find out if they have or not. "

Have you tried checking out live performances by bands you like on YT, and see what comes up? That's basically what I've done. Granted, live performances by well known bands will tend to be at major concert venues, but there are exceptions. Sometimes just going on a band's YT channel might yield a video of a suitable performance...but i accept it does take some time sifting through them all.

After Fishy Jim:

El Paso - Marty Robbins
Broken Cowboy - The Dead South

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1rW...

message 24: by Helen The Melon (new)

Helen The Melon | 2792 comments Hope this is ok, Val? Out of all the music I listen to I think Wall Of Voodoo are the closest I can get to Western/cowboy inspired.

El Paso - Marty Robbins
Call Of The West - Wall Of Voodoo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D2T5W3d...

NB. I've removed the song by Ghoultown from the list as it appeared out of thin air. I assume someone changed their mind, edited but didn't remove it from the list?

message 25: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15164 comments I'm sorry people are having trouble figuring out what I was after. The song does not have to be in the country & western genre but it should be about the old west and the cowboy experience.

message 26: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5710 comments Helen The Melon wrote: "NB. I've removed the song by Ghoultown from the list as it appeared out of thin air. I assume someone changed their mind, edited but didn't remove it from the list?"

That was mine Helen..but i changed to The Dead South shortly after, and deleted my original nom post. Thought i had removed the nomination.

message 27: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6627 comments efterhelen,

El Paso - Marty Robbins
Riding West - Tommy McCook

https://youtu.be/0d2ZpezMuxk

message 28: by Collette (new)

Collette | 4390 comments After Tech.

Being it was written for Young Guns II, I assume it counts...

El Paso - Marty Robbins
Blaze Of Glory - Jon Bon Jovi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfmYC...

message 29: by KJS (new)

KJS | 5150 comments After Collette

My favourite version of the Townes Van Zandt song.

El Paso - Marty Robbins
Pancho And Lefty - Emmylou Harris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAOHL...

message 30: by Fishy_Jim (last edited Sep 29, 2020 01:34AM) (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 928 comments Based on your most recent post, Val, my nom doesn't count, as King Of The Cowboys is lyrically about a dodgy business 'cowboy'. Do you want me to remove it? I have a rather predictable replacement if necessary.

message 31: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15164 comments No, please leave it Jim. It's just fun; not worth anyone, especially me, getting their knickers in a knot over. The voters will decide.

message 32: by Fishy_Jim (last edited Sep 29, 2020 06:23AM) (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 928 comments Thanks Val. That leaves ELO for someone else (though I'd probably get more points for it). I'll be interested to see how Tech reacts to my nom as it has a reggae beat.

message 33: by Rob (new)

Rob Campbell | 477 comments After KJS,

El Paso - Marty Robbins
I'm An Outlaw - Kurt Vile

https://youtu.be/1DODN7V3jGo

message 34: by SussexWelsh (new)

SussexWelsh | 5415 comments After Rob

El Paso - Marty Robbins
Cowboy Movie - David Crosby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQspD...

message 35: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Fishy_Jim wrote: "That leaves ELO for someone else"

Oh please, God, no!

message 36: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15164 comments Killjoy! I like ELO!

message 37: by Lez (last edited Sep 30, 2020 02:05AM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Predictably, so do I. Must be an old ladies' thing.

message 38: by Brass Neck (last edited Sep 30, 2020 02:38AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3772 comments Val wrote: "Killjoy! I like ELO!"

Have you heard of LEO, a loving pastiche of ELO by a bunch of powerpoppers including the amazing Bleu? They only did the one album, the wonderfully titled Alpacas Orgling, now OOP and correspondingly expensive - I'll do you both copies (if I can find it).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpacas-Orgl...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWgEb... (unfortunately there are lots of Leos on YT so you have to pick and choose - they even did a cover of Don't Bring Me Down)

message 39: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5710 comments Lez wrote: "Predictably, so do I. Must be an old ladies' thing."

Nup...i like 'em as well...unless i am also an 'old lady' and didn't know it!

message 40: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6627 comments i'm an old lady, but i thinks they be a big bag o' shoight!

message 41: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3772 comments Tech XXIII wrote: "i'm an old lady, but i thinks they be a big bag o' shoight!"

Possessing a fine pair of dugs doth not a laydee make!

message 42: by Serial (new)

Serial Sock Trumpet (serialsocktrumpet) | 1884 comments Brass Neck wrote: "Tech XXIII wrote: "i'm an old lady, but i thinks they be a big bag o' shoight!"

Possessing a fine pair of dugs doth not a laydee make!"

The only compensation for middle age fattie men, they acquire a pair of breasts.

message 43: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3772 comments Serial wrote: "Brass Neck wrote: "Tech XXIII wrote: "i'm an old lady, but i thinks they be a big bag o' shoight!"

Possessing a fine pair of dugs doth not a laydee make!"

The only compensation for middle age fat..."

No fun playing with your own moobs (or, for most of us, any other man's).

message 44: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments after sussex

El Paso - Marty Robbins
Cattle Drive - Sam Holt Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2iPf...

message 45: by theDuke (last edited Sep 30, 2020 02:12PM) (new)

theDuke | 5710 comments Well hullo thar!

A whopping (or should that be 'whooping') big fat 18 songs for Val's theme (one day we will hit that magic 20 milestone..it's gunna 'appen..one day)...so the 5 lassos a-swinging vote system is back in play.

Playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU0TA...

Voting List:

El Paso - Marty Robbins

I'm off to leap on my ol' steed (dobbins!)..and round up those cows.....giddy up! Yeehah!

Am' i over doing it?! :)

See ya'll on Sunday folks.

message 46: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3772 comments "Am' i over doing it?" - I think you entered that territory with "Well hullo thar" and it was all downhill from ..... thar.

message 47: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5710 comments ;-)

message 48: by Fishy_Jim (last edited Oct 01, 2020 03:28AM) (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 928 comments I knew this was going to be a difficult one for me as most of the tracks were always going to be C&W or similar. You know how Tech is with prog, well, that's only slightly worse than me with C&W!

Wall Of Voodoo - 2
Glen Campbell - 1

Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell - 1
El Paso - Marty Robbins
Call Of The West - Wall Of Voodoo - 2

message 49: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6627 comments efterfishyjim,

4 - p.ubu (those well known good ole boys)
3 - d.eano/r.icky/w.alter
2 - k.vile
1 - m.robbins

Rhinestone Cowboy - Glen Campbell - 1
Lonesome Cowboy Dave - Pere Ubu - 4
My Rifle, Pony And Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson & Walter Brennan - 3
El Paso - Marty Robbins - 1