Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1745 comments Mod
Discuss the October 2020 Completist selection here

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Starts today!

Eileen | 150 comments Just got my copy today, but I have to make my way through a few other books first!

message 4: by Glenda (new)

Glenda | 61 comments I'm sorry for not being active the past 7 months or so!! Crazy year for everyone!! I did want to say this about Inferno...to put it simply, I was surprised at how much I liked it! It's always been one of those classics that I've been "afraid" of, not for length or style, just something that always seemed to intimidate me when I was younger. Perhaps reading it in my 40's helped me to understand the bigger picture presented. A quick side note: I read The Divine Comedy in it's entirety and I wish I had broken it up a bit. I was fine with Purgatorio, but I'll admit I was skimming through Paradiso by the half-way point (and yes, I plan on rereading both when the time is right).
I'm looking forward to getting back into the discussions here!

Eileen | 150 comments Okay, I found a copy of The Divine Comedy: Inferno translated by Wadsworth Longfellow, and I'm enjoying the narration so far, more than I expected. I will say that this is a book I am listening to at the original speed because it takes a lot more concentration for me to process poetry.

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eileen wrote: "Okay, I found a copy of The Divine Comedy: Inferno translated by Wadsworth Longfellow, and I'm enjoying the narration so far, more than I expected. I will say that this is a book I am listening to ..."

That is the version I listened to - I actually finished it in one day last Saturday, but have been too busy to gather my thoughts for a review. As you said, the poetry makes it a little harder to review than prose!

Eileen | 150 comments I'm making my way through this poem, but I'm having trouble keeping track of everything as he makes his way through the various denizens. I've always had trouble with poetry, and I would probably do better if I read this for a class and had to underline passages and so on. I did read and listen simultaneously, which did help, and there are parts that I enjoyed more than I expected. But I can't say I loved it.

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished - worked my way through this one twice and had to look up some study guides. But, I enjoyed the experience!

Click for my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...