Mount TBR 2020 discussion

Mount Blanc (24 books) > Lela Continues 1st Hike

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maslela (last edited Oct 14, 2020 09:40AM) (new)

Maslela | 23 comments After book 12 on Pike's Peak, I went ahead and read eleven books that were acquired this year which disqualifies them for this challenge. My 13th book for this challenge is over 800 pages, but after pushing SO hard for over a month and a half and getting through only a little over 220 pages, I decided to shelve it to my abandoned pile. The book is Roots by Alex Haley. I wanted so much to enjoy it but I just couldn't.

Roots The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley

message 2: by Maslela (last edited Nov 04, 2020 01:50PM) (new)

Maslela | 23 comments A Gesture Life by Chang-rae Lee A Gesture Life

For my 14th book, I picked The Gesture Life by Chang-rae Lee. It's definitely more interesting and engaging to me than my previous pick. I enjoyed it and gave it 4/5 stars and wrote a review.

message 3: by Maslela (last edited Nov 04, 2020 01:51PM) (new)

Maslela | 23 comments For my 15th book, I'm working on Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City. Pretty awesome so far!

I finished it. What a marvelous piece of work! I need more!

The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America

message 4: by Maslela (last edited Nov 04, 2020 01:51PM) (new)

Maslela | 23 comments Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania

Book 16 - I think this is going to be superb as well.
Update: So good I cried!! Oh, Lusitania. Check out my reviews if interested.

message 5: by Maslela (last edited Nov 17, 2020 09:29AM) (new)

Maslela | 23 comments Around India in 80 Trains by Monisha Rajesh Around India in 80 Trains

Book 17 - I picked Around India in 80 Trains because I miss reading books set in India. I have a few to choose from but this seems like it would be a fast read which is suitable for speeding through as the end of the year is fast approaching.

This book was splendid! I don't know if anything written about India can go wrong :)

message 6: by superawesomekt (new)

superawesomekt | 63 comments I really enjoyed Devil in the White City. I'll have to check out Dead Wake; I already have The Splendid and the Vile on my TBR.

message 7: by Maslela (new)

Maslela | 23 comments superawesomekt wrote: "I really enjoyed Devil in the White City. I'll have to check out Dead Wake; I already have The Splendid and the Vile on my TBR."

Same here! I also have In The Garden of Beasts. Both of the people who recommended Larson's books to me enjoyed all of his books.

message 8: by Maslela (new)

Maslela | 23 comments A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry A Fine Balance

18th Book is A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. It is as wonderful as his other books. Absolutely brilliant.

message 9: by Maslela (new)

Maslela | 23 comments Those Pricey Thakur Girls by Anuja Chauhan Those Pricey Thakur Girls

For Book 19 I picked an Indian book but light reading compared to Mistry's or Umrigar's work. I have not read any of Chauhan's work but it seems targeted to those who have some experience with the Hindi language as snippets are thrown in there, which works fine for me.