Beta Reader Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Queenberg | 4 comments Hello everyone!

I am new here and would like to ask for your advice.
I have written a book in my native language and had it translated into English for me, but when I read it, I can still feel that it is a translation.
I would like to work on it together with some English speakers or editors ideally from the USA because I would like the book to be published there.
What would you recommend me to do?
I have already posted a search for free beta-readers, but I just do not know for how long should I wait.
Really need your advice.

Thank you so much!
Yekaterina

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Engelhardt | 24 comments Looking for free betas can be tricky - depending on the length of your book, genre, etc. Maybe what you need is a second opinion from a few native speakers first.

Perhaps post a request for a first chapter beta read. Maybe don’t tell them that it is a translation and see if they notice or make comments about the language. Asking for free betas for a full-length story is a big ask, and it sounds like you may not need such a time commitment.

It could be that you simply need to hire a good copy editor to smooth translation issues, or it might be that you need to hire more of a “ghostwriter” to help. Translation is an art form in and of itself. It’s hard to know whether your translator elevated your story in the process or dragged it down.

See what people say about chapter 1 and go from there. Be mindful that a lot of editors and paid betas will view this as an opportunity to showcase their skills and may make heavier comments in an effort to win a paid job. The old expression “there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch” applies :)

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Queenberg | 4 comments Hi, Laura!

Thank you so much for so many valuable tips and advice! I really appreciate it.

What is a normal price a beta-reader will charge for 90k manuscript written in a fantasy/romance genre, approximately?

With best regards,
Yekaterina

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Engelhardt | 24 comments Take a look in the “paid betas offering services” category on this site/group — there are many betas who read that genre and quote a price/1000 words or by the word, or even just a flat fee. You can also see prices on fiverr and upwork

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Engelhardt | 24 comments But you should be able to find a free beta for 1 chapter ...

message 6: by Shalu (new)

Shalu Gupta | 37 comments Hello Yekaterina. I can read one chapter for free and share my feedback with you. I am an editor and offer editorial assessment as well. Let me know if you wish to connect.

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Queenberg | 4 comments Hi Shalu,
That sounds great, I would love to connect.
Below are my contact details:
Whats app - +7 962 966 0856
Tel.: 8 962 966 08 56
E-mail: yekaterina.zvereva@gmail.com
With best regards,
Yekaterina

message 8: by Oxana (new)

Oxana Gritsko (gritsko_g) | 19 comments Hey Yekaterina, I think I get your problem since I've been through the same issue)). If you are willing to discuss it, email me on oxana_gritsko@hotmail.com