Reading the 20th Century discussion

Life Among the Savages
This topic is about Life Among the Savages
Buddy Reads > Life Among the Savages by Shirley Jackson (October 2020)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan | 10016 comments Mod
Welcome to our Buddy Read of Life Among the Savages Life Among the Savages by Shirley Jackson by Shirley Jackson first published in 1953. This is the first of two books about Jackson's family life; the second being Raising Demons in 1959.

Originally a series of magazine articles, published individually, these were collected into two volumes. This memoir is an account of raising her children in a ramshackle house in Vermont; where she deals with rats in the cellar, misbehaving imaginary friends, an oblivious husband and ever-encroaching domestic chaos, all described with wit, warmth and plenty of bite.

I absolutely adored this book. I think I would be riveted by Shirley Jackson's shopping lists, I love her so much, but I am really glad that I read this and have pre-ordered the new edition of Raising Demons, due out on kindle next March. Of course, there are paperback copies available, but I can wait.

In the UK, Audible now has this title, and many others, out this month. So, if you prefer to listen, this is available on audiobook.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 638 comments Having only read Jackson's horror previously, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I liked her attitude towards her family, and the way she managed to capture most of the situations a lot of us have experienced at one time or another. I think many a woman has said that she had changed her mind about having children, whilst going through the delivery. Also her problems with a very opinionated school teacher, rang bells as well. Her children seemed relatively well adjusted, but pleased they were hers and not mine when she took them shopping

Yes, the shopping trip was funny, wasn't it? Also, the part where she was almost bullied into calling the other mother about a fight, then saw her in the shop the next morning.

Found an interesting review from the NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/bo...

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 638 comments Thanks. I will definitely go on to read Raising Demons.

Good to hear, Jill. I can't wait - I loved this and am looking forward to the sequel.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 638 comments Couldn't wait any longer to find out how the family move on, so have started Raising Demons.

Good to hear you enjoyed it as much as me, Jill :)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1217 comments Jill wrote: "Couldn't wait any longer to find out how the family move on, so have started Raising Demons."

I just saw that Amazon had this for $2.94. I couldn't resist. I didn't stop there - I also found two John Dickson Carr books that I had been looking for. But I didn't spend $900 on them! That's what they were asking on some.

Nothing as delightful as book buying, Jan. Have you read Life Among the Savages before? I am assuming you brought Raising Demons, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

Jan C (woeisme) | 1217 comments Susan wrote: "Nothing as delightful as book buying, Jan. Have you read Life Among the Savages before? I am assuming you brought Raising Demons, so forgive me if I'm wrong."

I read it when it was picked for a read in BYT. I think I may have given it 4 stars. Wrote a review but I don't know how to link it on my tablet.

Ah, I must have missed that one. Never mind, I am pleased I have read it now, Jan.

Jan C (woeisme) | 1217 comments Jan C wrote: "Jill wrote: "Couldn't wait any longer to find out how the family move on, so have started Raising Demons."

I just saw that Amazon had this for $2.94. I couldn't resist. I didn't stop..."

Celebrating too soon. Amazon just wrote that my order was canceled. But I see that the new printing is out - Kindle, PB, HC - of course, all are a bit more than I want to spend at the moment.

I pre-ordered the forthcoming kindle edition out in March 21. It was £5.49 on kindle and the paperback is a tad over £8.

I am trying to collect all the Audible versions of her books too, many of which came out in October. I would put Shirley Jackson in my top ten favourite authors and the more I read by her, the more I love her work.

Jan C (woeisme) | 1217 comments Here (now) it is $14 on Kindle and $18 in paperback. I would like it to come down a little.

Let's hope so, Jan.