Play Book Tag discussion

From Sand and Ash
This topic is about From Sand and Ash
September 2020: Other Books > From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (last edited Sep 25, 2020 11:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy D | 4014 comments From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon - 3 stars - My Review

Angelo Bianco is a Catholic American who grows up with a Jewish family in Italy, where he is expected to become a priest. He and the family’s daughter, Eva Rosselli, are drawn to each other. When WWII arrives, the family is torn apart.

I appreciated the historical aspects and found it accurate in terms of the Catholic church hiding Jews in Rome and the Nazis’ robbing and roundups. Father O’Flaherty and Rabbi Cassuto were real people and are portrayed convincingly. The first half is set up well, with Angelo and Eva developing strong bonds. I was interested to see how the war would affect them.

It lost me in the second half. I had trouble believing Angelo would go through with ordination when he did not seem particularly spiritual or devoted. The relationship between Angelo and Eva becomes increasingly melodramatic. Toward the end, it requires a huge suspension of disbelief, which I just could not muster. I liked parts of this book, so I am going with a middle of the road rating.

Booknblues | 6313 comments Joy D that is a good assessment, it deserves a middle of the road rating. Too much melodrama and too much that needed suspension of disbelief.

Joy D | 4014 comments I think it had potential. I really liked the history. So often, the history is glossed over, but it was not in this case. I like historical fiction but I'm not keen on historical romance.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7971 comments Well, yours is the 2nd review that says it was mediocre-I am not going to read it. Just don't have time for "eh" books. And just like that it's off my TBR.

Joy D | 4014 comments Joanne wrote: "Well, yours is the 2nd review that says it was mediocre-I am not going to read it. Just don't have time for "eh" books. And just like that it's off my TBR."
There are plenty of others books, lol.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8939 comments Joanne that Smart thinking!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

From Sand and Ash (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Amy Harmon (other topics)