Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Group member Honored

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William (be2lieve) | 1302 comments Mod
Our very own group member and author, Naima Coster, whose book we discussed in April, 2019, earns a top honor.

Every year the National Book Foundation honors five young writers whose debut work of fiction “promises to leave a lasting impression on the literary landscape.” There is no nomination process. Instead, each winner is chosen by a writer who has previously been honored by the National Book Foundation. This year’s 5 Under 35 — as they’re called — includes Fatima Farheen Mirza, who wrote “A Place for Us,” one of The Washington Post’s Top 10 Books of 2018 (full list). (5 Under 35 is sponsored by the Amazon Literary Partnership; Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

The 2020 5 Under 35 Honorees:

K-Ming Chang, the author of “Bestiary” (forthcoming Sept. 29), selected by Justin Torres.
Naima Coster, the author of “Halsey Street,” selected by Tayari Jones.
Raven Leilani, the author of “Luster” (review), selected by Susan Choi.
Fatima Farheen Mirza, the author of “A Place for Us” (review), selected by Tommy Orange.
C Pam Zhang, the author of “How Much of These Hills Is Gold” (review), selected by Marlon James.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 57 comments Congratulations!! Curently reading Halsey Street and loving it.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 62 comments Congratulations!

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 2880 comments Mod
Congratulations!

I enjoyed Halsey Street and I am looking forward to reading Naima's forthcoming book, What's Mine and Yours (publishing Mar. 2021).

message 5: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 338 comments wonderful news!

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie That's great. Congrats to Naima.

message 7: by Jean (new)

Jean | 140 comments Congratulations, Naima!

message 8: by Carole (new)

Carole Bell (cvbell) | 69 comments Congratulations Naima!! Fantastic news.

message 9: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Hanes | 51 comments That's truly exceptional...congratulations to Naima!

message 10: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma That's terrific! I'll have to look for both of her books!