2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
This topic is about The Likeness
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad #2)

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2277 comments This thread is to discuss The Likeness, the second book in the Dublin Murder Squad Series by Tana French.

Pages: 466 pages

Length: 1 Month (October)

Participants: oshizu, Alison, SarahKat.

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments Hi ladies! When do you want to start this one? We are all in the Angel of Darkness read too. Which one are you going to read first?

I listened to the first book in this series on audio but I didn't like the narrator so I'll be reading this one with my eyeballs :)

Alison | 990 comments Hi! I can start this anytime and am looking forward to reading it! My library hold is due October 1st on Angel of Darkness so I finished it today...I took lots of notes and can’t wait for the discussion on it also!! 📚

oshizu | 5613 comments Since Alison has already finished reading Angel of Darkness, I believe I'll start with that book, too, with the intent of finishing it in very early October.

I will probably start The Likeness in the middle of next week. Really, I can't wait!

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1871 comments Oh, man, I love Tana French and this is one of my favorites.

oshizu | 5613 comments I began this book yesterday, reading Chapter 1 last night and Chapter 2 this morning (Page 54/494)

The writing is amazing and I want to savor it as much as possible.
Just a few general comments
(view spoiler)

message 7: by oshizu (last edited Oct 03, 2020 04:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oshizu | 5613 comments My very sincere apologies, Allison and SarahKat!
I'd planned to read this book slowly until one of you joined me, but I've now finished the first 16 (of 26) chapters, which puts me at the 64% mark (sez Kindle).

Earlier today, I had several brilliant remarks to share, but I seem to be coming up blank right now, haha. Sorry about not breaking my comments into smaller chapter segments; I was doing the "just one more chapter" thing....
Chapters 3-16
(view spoiler)

This is such an engaging read! Part of me wants to continue reading this series next month, but another part of me wants to save the rest of the series for 2021 (b/c I've lalready completed Just the Facts and need only 2 books to finish Serial Readers).
I could go either way.

message 8: by Alison (last edited Oct 04, 2020 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alison | 990 comments @oshizu...You Go, Girl!! If the story grips you, it is hard not to put it down!! I am getting ready to start this either today or tomorrow :)
I would like to continue the series but probably won't until 2021 (I bet some of the series books will fit into the Mystery Challenge next year ;)

BTW, I HATE not getting Goodreads notifications!! :(

message 9: by oshizu (last edited Oct 08, 2020 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oshizu | 5613 comments Alison
Oh, great news about you starting this book tomorrow! I'm eager to hear your thoughts on this book! I was going to save the last two several chapters until tomorrow, but nope, I couldn't resist reading to the end.
Chapter 17
(view spoiler)

Chapter 19
(view spoiler)

Chapter 20
(view spoiler)

Chapter 23
(view spoiler)

Chapter 24
(view spoiler)

Chapter 25 to the ending
(view spoiler)

I'm laughing at all my random comments. I posted that way so that you wouldn't need to finish the entire book before reading some of my comments.

Alison, thanks for the feedback about Buddy Reading the rest of the series. I've mostly planned out my reads for the rest of the year, so I'd also prefer to save the rest of DMS for 2021.

message 10: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1871 comments I have read the first 4 in this series, but if you continue it next year then I will join you for #5 and #6. I love French! Her standalone published in 2018, The Witch Elm, was excellent as well, I thought. And she has another, The Searcher, due to be released tomorrow! It is also a standalone. She is one of my absolute favorite authors!

message 11: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (last edited Oct 05, 2020 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments I have had family or friends at my house all week and they have really cut into my reading time! I'm having a hard time keeping with the pace I've set for myself. Also I had the bright idea for my son and I to watch a Halloween/spooky movie every day this month.

I'm still working on Angel of Darkness but I'm hoping to finish that and start on this by the end of the week. I'm locking my doors and turning off my phone!

oshizu, I would probably join you for the rest of this series in 2021. I have the rest of this year "booked".

message 12: by oshizu (last edited Oct 05, 2020 02:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oshizu | 5613 comments Yay for continuing the Dublin Murder Squad series in 2021!

SarahKat, no worries. We can all read, post, and respond when we can.
I confess I was trying to stay ahead of Lynn reading The Angel of Darkness so I could squeeze a few light reads before she and I start our chunkster, The Grace of Kings.

Haha, because I lead such a productive life, I've decided to blow off this evening playing Stardew Valley.

Alison | 990 comments My initial thoughts (I am about 20 percent into this book...I hope to make a little more of a dent today :)

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Alison (last edited Oct 08, 2020 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alison | 990 comments I have read through Chapter 16 (starting Chapter 17 today and hope to finish it today! I have to say that this is turning out to be one of my favorite books of 2020! If I read it before bed and then put it down to go to sleep, I stay awake for a bit, tossing and turning and wondering what is going to happen in the next chapter...LOL

My thoughts up to Chapter 17:
(view spoiler)
Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out! :D

oshizu | 5613 comments Allison, you obviously have better impulse control than I do.
Depending on how a chapter ended, I could often not resist turning the page....
I agree though that the book has done a great job of slowly building up the plot's tension and teasing our curiosity.

Up to Chapter 16 end
I won't answer your thinking-aloud questions because all is about to be revealed. :)
About Frank & Sam, however, (view spoiler)

message 16: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments Well another person was at my house all evening again. I hate being the last to start and finish a buddy read :( There's so many spoilers to click on!!

message 17: by Alison (last edited Oct 09, 2020 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alison | 990 comments I finished the book and I have to say that this was one of my favorite reads in 2020! Kept me glued to the pages until the ending!

My thoughts from Chapter 17 to end of the book:
(view spoiler)

message 18: by oshizu (last edited Oct 09, 2020 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

oshizu | 5613 comments In response to Alison

Ch 17 to ending
(view spoiler)

I did love this book and confess that I was also mesmerized by the FF.
SarahKat, folks are constantly visiting and staying because your hospitality is so great! Still, I can't wait for them to leave so I can read your comments on The Likeness. Is that selfish of me? *scratches head

message 19: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments oshizu wrote: "SarahKat, folks are constantly visiting and staying because your hospitality is so great!"

This is not true at all haha! I'm a terrible hostess. They visit because I have cute kids. It's a curse.

Alison | 990 comments SarahKat wrote: "oshizu wrote: "SarahKat, folks are constantly visiting and staying because your hospitality is so great!"

This is not true at all haha! I'm a terrible hostess. They visit because I have cute kids...."

Hahahahahaha...Company is always good but it does interfere with curling up with a good book! :D

oshizu | 5613 comments Oh no, SarahKat!
The Curse of the Cute Kids---sounds like a cozy mystery or something.

message 22: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments I started finally yaaaay!! I've finished the first 2 chapters. It's so refreshing after reading Angel of Darkness, which I loved but is just so much heavier in almost every way.

My initial thoughts: (view spoiler)

And yes having cute kids is a curse, but also a blessing *sigh*. Back to the book!

oshizu | 5613 comments SarahKat
Like you, I also had mostly forgotten the plot details of In the Woods. After a few chapters, read the plot summary on Wikipedia (I think, don't remember).
The present-day case was "solved" in that Rob/Cassie figured out who the killer was but they bungled the killer's handling (she'd lied about her age was actually a minor) and couldn't make an arrest.
Something like that.
The case in Rob's past was never solved, I believe...

message 24: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments Chapter 5: (view spoiler)

message 25: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (last edited Oct 14, 2020 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments Yay I've finished chapter 16 and have unlocked a spoiler from both you! It's like a video game achievement!

oshizu, regarding "postgrad," I have always heard it referred to as it is here. After a Bachelor's Degree, you become part of a postgraduate program (Master's then PhD), and I'm in the US. I've never even heard of ABD. Although, I do only have a Bachelor's.

My thoughts through chapter 16: (view spoiler)

message 26: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments Chapter 17: (view spoiler)

oshizu | 5613 comments Response to SarahKat's comparison of Cassie/Lexie
(view spoiler)

message 28: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments Chapter 19: oshizu, (view spoiler)

Alison | 990 comments SarahKat wrote: "Chapter 19: oshizu, you were wondering why Cassie felt the need to unwire and speak to Daniel. I think this is a a big glaring red flag that she's completely lost all objectivity in this case. It h..."

@SarahKat (view spoiler)

message 30: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1871 comments Yikes! You guys are making me want to reread this one! It's been 5 years and unfortunately, I've forgotten many of the details you are discussing!

message 31: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments Through chapter 24: (view spoiler)

message 32: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments Lynn wrote: "Yikes! You guys are making me want to reread this one! It's been 5 years and unfortunately, I've forgotten many of the details you are discussing!"

Join us for the rest of the series next year! I'm sure I at least will have forgotten a lot of details by then

message 33: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments I finished!

(view spoiler)

oshizu | 5613 comments In response to SarahKat's finishing

(view spoiler)

I did really enjoy this book. As soon as Rafe was described, I googled to see how the TV series cast him. The book described him as tanned with dark blonde hair, but the casting made a different choice (for the purpose of audience ratings?).

Can't wait to read Book 3 with y'all next year. It's protagonist will be Alison's favorite, Frank. :D

message 35: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments oshizu, (view spoiler)

The TV series: I just looked it up, and yeah. Tall dark and handsome seems to be the way they went in the show. Though I don't find that actor all that attractive. I was interested in Sam and Rob though. Rob looks right but Sam is much more attractive than I'd pictured him.
(also I love that O'Kelly is Varys from Game of Thrones)

oshizu | 5613 comments I was also disappointed in the Rafe casting.
Thanks to your comment, I went to check who played Sam.
Hmmm, Daniel March may be Irish but I wouldn't describe him as a "stocky blond guy." I'd pictured him in my mind as the post-Rob consolation prize, haha.

Alison | 990 comments There is a TV Series?! Where have I been (under a rock, I suppose :)...I must google this!! Yes, me and my googling...LOL

message 38: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 3175 comments Alison wrote: "There is a TV Series?! Where have I been (under a rock, I suppose :)...I must google this!! Yes, me and my googling...LOL"

It's called Dublin Murders I think. Google was super unhelpful when I tried "In the Woods" because there's a show just called "The Woods" and one called "Into the Woods" and I think one even came up called "In the Woods" that was a documentary. It wasn't until I added "based on Tana French" I found the right one.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.