2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Angel of Darkness (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #2)
This topic is about The Angel of Darkness
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Angel of Darkness (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler #2)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2282 comments This thread is to discuss The Angel of Darkness, the second book in the Dr. Laszlo Kreizler Series by Caleb Carr.

Pages: 770 pages

Length: 1 Month (October)

Participants: oshizu, Trisha, Dominique, D.L., Alison, SarahKat, Lynn, Sunny, Library Queen.

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

Alison | 1012 comments Hi Ladies!! Happy Almost October!! I wanted to let you know that my library hold on Angel of Darkness is due October 1st so I finished the Chunker today 😊. I took lots of notes and can’t wait to discuss this with You All! 📚❤️

message 3: by Lynn (last edited Sep 27, 2020 04:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments I located my copy and plan to start it after I finish my current book. So sometime this week? This may delay my start to Liu's book, oshizu. I seem to be reading bricks for October! ;) Hadn't realized this has been classified as horror. But so was The Alienist which did have grisly details I tried to skim over. I hope this isn't grislier than that one was.

oshizu | 5710 comments Lynn wrote: "I located my copy and plan to start it after I finish my current book. So sometimes this week? This may delay my start to Liu's book, oshizu. I seem to be reading bricks for October! ;)"

Lynn
Let's you and me agree to read The Angel of Darkness first. That works for me. :D

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments oshizu wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I located my copy and plan to start it after I finish my current book. So sometimes this week? This may delay my start to Liu's book, oshizu. I seem to be reading bricks for October! ;..."

Yep!

message 6: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

SarahKat | 3278 comments I'll start this week too after I finish my current book!

message 7: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Sep 28, 2020 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2282 comments I would probably start in a day or two! (Comment updated, for I just realised that I have kept a terribly boring book halfway on hold and would like to finish it before I start this one!)

Sunny | 1765 comments Got my copy about a week ago. Looking forward to starting it this week.

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments Sunny wrote: "Got my copy about a week ago. Looking forward to starting it this week."

Whoo! Whoo!

message 10: by oshizu (last edited Sep 29, 2020 09:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 5710 comments I just finished the first four chapters.
Not really much to say but I'll post a comment anyway.

(view spoiler)

On to chapter 5...
PS I own a used hardcover edition with a dust jacket feature a nice photo of the author, leaning on a counter next to a skull.

message 11: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments oshizu wrote: "PS I own a used hardcover edition with a dust jacket feature a nice photo of the author, leaning on a counter next to a skull."

Sounds like something my husband would do! :)

I will be starting this briefly this evening, then hopefully will make further progress tomorrow! :)

oshizu | 5710 comments I have read the first 20 out of 59 total chapters.
When I came to Goodreads to update my progress, I saw that it had been marked as "Read." Stupid Goodreads--it must have switched 6-7 books from To Read to Read yesterday while I was trying to set up my 2020-10, 2020-11, and 2020-12 Goodreads bookshelves.
So annoying.

Anyway, just a thought or two on the first third of the book
(up to and including ch 20)
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments oshizu wrote: "I have read the first 20 out of 59 total chapters.
When I came to Goodreads to update my progress, I saw that it had been marked as "Read." Stupid Goodreads--it must have switched 6-7 books from To..."

Goodreads does this to me all time. Also it changes the edition to the Kindle edition all the time. Or adds it. Grrrr...

Sunny | 1765 comments Lynn wrote: "oshizu wrote: "I have read the first 20 out of 59 total chapters.
When I came to Goodreads to update my progress, I saw that it had been marked as "Read." Stupid Goodreads--it must have switched 6-..."Goodreads does this to me all time. Also it changes the edition to the Kindle edition all the time. Or adds it. Grrrr...

I've had the same switcheroo from book to Kindle edition happen to me too now and then. I thought it was just me choosing the wrong one.

message 15: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments Sunny wrote: "Lynn wrote: "oshizu wrote: "I have read the first 20 out of 59 total chapters.
When I came to Goodreads to update my progress, I saw that it had been marked as "Read." Stupid Goodreads--it must hav...

I've had the same switcheroo from book to Kindle edition happen to me too now and then. I thought it was just me choosing the wrong one."

I just assume it's Bezos' way to try to convert us! lol ;)

Alison | 1012 comments oshizu wrote: "I have read the first 20 out of 59 total chapters.
When I came to Goodreads to update my progress, I saw that it had been marked as "Read." Stupid Goodreads--it must have switched 6-7 books from To..."

oshizu, I completely agree with all of your spoilers!! :)
My Own spoilers (through the first part of the book):
(view spoiler)

Sunny | 1765 comments I've gotta' start reading so I can read all these spoilers!

message 18: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

SarahKat | 3278 comments Me too Sunny! I'm on chapter 4. I accidentally am reading a bunch of huge books this month. Argh.

Sunny | 1765 comments SarahKat wrote: "Me too Sunny! I'm on chapter 4. I accidentally am reading a bunch of huge books this month. Argh."

When I saw the Serial Slayer challenge, I decided it would be a good idea to read the remaining 7 in The Outlaw series, which is a part of my yearly serial challenge ... and today I applied the math: they total 3,048 pages! The shortest being 331 pages. The rest are 400-500.

Since I have this many bricks ... I'm thinking of tossing in Willis' Dooms Day Book for the heck of it rather than waiting 'til Nov or Dec.

message 20: by oshizu (last edited Oct 02, 2020 12:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 5710 comments I finished this book this morning.

In response to Alison
(view spoiler)

After having finished the book, I'll share a few trivial impressions because I'm sleep-deprived from staying up too late last night, reading this darn book. Honestly, I hadn't planned to finish this book until tonight...
(view spoiler)

Okay, pressing tasks await me so I'll close here.
I share scanty remarks but will return to respond to everyone else's comments! One chunkster down for October! :D

Edited to add: I returned to repair my numerous typos. I'm somewhat visually impaired but rarely bother to proofread my post.

message 21: by Lynn (last edited Oct 01, 2020 12:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments oshizu wrote: "I finished this book this morning."

Too fast! You are reading way too fast! Bad girl! ;)

Sunny | 1765 comments oshizu wrote: "I finished this book this morning.

Good grief! You need to teach a speed reading class ;)

message 23: by oshizu (last edited Oct 01, 2020 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 5710 comments oh c'mon, ladies. 200 pages/day isn't that crazy speedy, is it?

message 24: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments oshizu wrote: "oh c'mon, ladies. 200 pages/day isn't that crazy speedy, is it?"

It is if you're talking during the workweek, woman! ;)

message 25: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

SarahKat | 3278 comments oshizu wrote: "oh c'mon, ladies. 200 pages/day isn't that crazy speedy, is it?"

I can occasionally get 200/day. If every aspect of my life falls into place perfectly. Slow day at work, baby goes to sleep early, 8-year-old entertains himself, husband works...

It happens! Rarely.

Sunny | 1765 comments Sunny is LOL and falling over 😄

message 27: by oshizu (last edited Oct 01, 2020 03:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 5710 comments For me, it depends very much on the book's genre.
Historical mystery happens to be my favorite.

message 28: by Lynn (last edited Oct 01, 2020 07:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments oshizu wrote: "For me, it depends very much on the book's genre.
Historical mystery happens to be my favorite."

I am just giving you grief because I can! :) Not as if you're close enough to hit me or anything, eh? lol

I've gotten to Chapter 4, but it's 10:40PM and past time for me to be in bed. Tomorrow is Friday and busy at work. I should have Saturday afternoon and evening to read and all day Sunday, except for some cooking. :) I am finding it enthralling! Love his characterization as well as the plot. :) I'll say it again, as I did while reading The Alienist--Sara Howard is my kind of woman!

message 29: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

SarahKat | 3278 comments POV: (view spoiler)

Chapter 4: (view spoiler)

I'm on chapter 8 now I think. I'm hoping to have time this weekend to read a bunch. Family was visiting this week and I barely read at all.

Through chapter 6 thoughts: (view spoiler)

message 30: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Oct 02, 2020 02:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2282 comments I’m keeping my mouth shut because with the crazy deployment happening next week at work, I have zero chills! I can’t even do 50 pages/day and probably will not be able to read at all next week! :(

I’m through chapter 8 so will go through all the spoilers until that point.

POV: Agreeing with all of you there! (view spoiler)

In response to SarahKat’s post: (view spoiler)

oshizu & Alison - I’m parking both of yours spoilers for now, promise to read them as soon as I read those sections.

Pace of the book: (view spoiler)

message 31: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments oshizu wrote: "I just finished the first four chapters.
Not really much to say but I'll post a comment anyway.

Narrative structure: The main storyline seems to be framed by Stevie accepting Moore's bet: Moore wo..."

That is the same edition I own! I just finished chapter 4 this morning.

I hadn't considered the framing prompt for this one. Good idea!

And (view spoiler)... :)

Alison | 1012 comments (view spoiler)

message 33: by oshizu (last edited Oct 02, 2020 01:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

oshizu | 5710 comments In response to Trisha:
(view spoiler)

In response to Alsion (end of book)
(view spoiler)

Sunny | 1765 comments Another fantastic start! And I am totally hooked again! And if I hadn't been so darn sleepy I would have read more than the 1st couple of chapters.

(view spoiler)

I'm looking forward to getting in some more chapters this evening and over the weekend.

message 35: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments Sunny wrote: "Another fantastic start! And I am totally hooked again! And if I hadn't been so darn sleepy I would have read more than the 1st couple of chapters.

[spoilers removed]

I'm looking forward to gett..."

Ha! Ha! You crack me up! I would agree that (view spoiler)

If I'd had the time I would have reread The Alienist before reading this sequel, but I don't think it's going to matter a whole lot. Carr seems to redefine the characters in the first few chapters...

Don't know how much reading I'll get done tonight, but tomorrow I hope to make a huge dent in it. I am finding it totally compelling as I did The Alienist. Thank goodness for weekends! :)

Sunny | 1765 comments Lynn wrote: "Ha! Ha! You crack me up!

Happy to oblige! :)

In response to your spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 37: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

SarahKat | 3278 comments I made it through chapter 20!

Just another note about the POV (not a spoiler really): (view spoiler)

Other thoughts: (view spoiler)

oshizu | 5710 comments In response to SarahKat re:PoV
(view spoiler)

message 39: by Lynn (last edited Oct 04, 2020 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments I'm on page 138, through Chapter 13. I am loving this even more than I remember enjoying The Alienist. I think perhaps there is even more emphasis on psychology? Maybe not, but it seems to me as if there is. Perhaps much of that is the fact that I am very uncomfortable reading about children literally raising themselves on the streets. It is just a trigger for me. I know it happens and I have the greatest compassion for them and would like to take them all into my own home, but I am depressed when reading details of their lives... That was a large part of TA, IMO. And one thing I was amazed by, that those of you who just read The Alienist last month may be able to help me with, (view spoiler) I don't know what that says about me, but I don't know if I just didn't remember that or if it was not as specific in TA. Help me!

I am reveling in the emphasis on the (view spoiler)

Not much reading time yesterday but it is raining here today and my arthritis is on fire, so sitting in the chair with my feet on the ottoman and icing my lower back and knees. I guess I need more ice bags for the feet, neck, and middle back! LOL ;)

message 40: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments page 178, in Chapter 19. Oh, no, Stevie! This looks to be a setup by (view spoiler) Is that mean? Probably, but I am thinking of him. And then I realized, well, we know from reading the Prologue that he at least (view spoiler), so there is that...

message 41: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments Page 236 Okay. We know where (view spoiler)

Library Queen | 212 comments Lynn wrote: "I'm on page 138, through Chapter 13. I am loving this even more than I remember enjoying The Alienist. I think perhaps there is even more emphasis on psychology? Maybe not, but it seems to me as if..."

Yes, Cyrus was described as a black man, when Moore wanted to go into an apartment building, the residents refused to let Cyrus in because he was black.

message 43: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments Library wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I'm on page 138, through Chapter 13. I am loving this even more than I remember enjoying The Alienist. I think perhaps there is even more emphasis on psychology? Maybe not, but it seem...

Yes, Cyrus was described as a black man, when Moore wanted to go into an apartment building, the residents refused to let Cyrus in because he was black."

Ack! See, I should have reread The Alienist before reading this one. Though I guess that part doesn't make a whole lot of difference, since it is very clear in here... Thank you, Library! :)

message 44: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments Page 339, into Chapter 34: I admire their tenacity, but is it wise to (view spoiler)

message 45: by Lynn (last edited Oct 11, 2020 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments SarahKat wrote: "I made it through chapter 20!

Just another note about the POV (not a spoiler really): [spoilers removed]"

I totally agree about (view spoiler)

Unlike you I really do not enjoy a detailed exploration of a criminal's psyche, but so far at the halfway point, I'm okay with what has been presented thus far.

I do appreciate Sara's role as well as feminism being more front and center in this book than the first. I also appreciate the fact that each character appears to contribute their knowledge/skills, not just one or two of them. They seem to work together well as a team.

message 46: by Lynn (last edited Oct 11, 2020 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments oshizu wrote: "I have read the first 20 out of 59 total chapters.

I rather like (view spoiler)

(view spoiler) I just don't know.

I had no trouble getting pulled in immediately to this book, much as I was with The Alienist. I do not find this to be a "fast read." I am totally invested and find it easy to keep reading, but not at a particularly fast rate. :) It feels as if I need to absorb it all...

oshizu | 5710 comments Lynn wrote: "I do not find this to be a "fast read.""

I agree that this book was not a fast read in the sense of being light reading. But often a chapter I'd hoped to stop on would end on a cliffhanger, somewhat compelling me to read on. This was especially true (view spoiler).
I guess I'm just weak that way?

message 48: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments oshizu wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I do not find this to be a "fast read.""

I agree that this book was not a fast read in the sense of being light reading. But often a chapter I'd hoped to stop on would end on a cliffhanger, somewhat compelling me to read on. This was especially true (view spoiler).
I guess I'm just weak that way?"

Ah, I am not yet to the (view spoiler) But I do not call that "weak" so much as enthralled! :)

message 49: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 1998 comments Okay. At page 360. Unbelievable how the (view spoiler) Very cool! I like him after all! :) And, of course, I can only surmise that poor (view spoiler)

message 50: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

SarahKat | 3278 comments oshizu, your comment about John, (view spoiler)

Through Chapter 34: (view spoiler)

Lynn, what chapter is page 360 for you? It's chapter 30 for me but I know you're past that so I didn't want to click on those spoilers.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.