Judy Bolton Fans discussion

The Warning on the Window (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #20)
This topic is about The Warning on the Window
#20: Warning on the Window > Chapter 5: The Warning on the Window - Summary

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Land (williamland) | 1253 comments Mod
Chapter 5: The Voice

The foreman, Joe Stebbins, has an injured foot along with a scratched and bruised face which he claims he received from climbing out of a pile of bricks after the explosion. This confirms Judy’s theory that the warning was meant for the caller, now identified as the foreman. Stebbins is very interested in the men’s reactions to the explosion and vows that he will stay on the job even if others quit. Judy wonders if there is some resentment against Arthur or the foreman that is causing the staging of the “accidents.” Arthur wonders why Peter didn’t come, and Judy explains all that has happened up to this point. Here Judy says what I wanted her to say in the last chapter: Peter isn’t careless, and it isn’t like him to lose his keys. That suddenly makes her think that Peter may have stumbled in the bushes and be unable to get up. Now she is concerned for his safety because she knows Peter is “sure-footed”

Joe Stebbins tells his story, saying that he was outside searching when Peter and Judy arrived at the office. More surprising, he saw the warning YOU WILL BE NEXT when he came into the kitchenette to make his coffee. That warning always appears before an accident. Because Stebbins called Peter, Arthur believes that the foreman is more scared than he will let on. Stebbins said he knew Arthur would approve of the call to Peter since Arthur had discussed calling him in on the case. (I appreciate the confidence that Arthur has in Peter and Judy and that there friendship has continued to grow over the years.) The chapter ends with “I think,” Judy said decisively, “that the first thing to do is find Peter. Everything else can wait.”

With this chapter, Margaret sets up and provides explanations for many events that will follow.

message 2: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Stroh | 137 comments When my brother Tom was little, he wrote something in the steam on a window. When the window cleared the writing was gone, but when the room got steamy again, the message reappeared. This was Mom's inspiration for this book!

William Land (williamland) | 1253 comments Mod
Lindsay wrote: "When my brother Tom was little, he wrote something in the steam on a window. When the window cleared the writing was gone, but when the room got steamy again, the message reappeared. This was Mom's..."

What a wonderful inspiration for this book! I love that the Judy Bolton books are "based on something that actually happened."

message 4: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Fawcett | 49 comments It somewhat reminds me of Mrs. Ritter absentmindedly drawing the bird on Judy's hall mirror in The Mark on the Mirror. Just the temptation to doodle on a dusty mirror or write something on a steamy window--very relatable.

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 631 comments Lindsay wrote: "When my brother Tom was little, he wrote something in the steam on a window. When the window cleared the writing was gone, but when the room got steamy again, the message reappeared. This was Mom's..."
A whole book from such a seemingly insignificant incident! Amazing.