Judy Bolton Fans discussion

The Warning on the Window (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #20)
This topic is about The Warning on the Window
#20: Warning on the Window > Chapter 4: The Warning on the Window - Summary

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Land (williamland) | 1280 comments Mod
Chapter 4: The Warning Fades

Hearing the tap also, Roberta comes into the room, suggesting that they leave the office. Judy points out the warning which she thinks was meant for the mysterious caller. She then runs out of the office and around to the back to see who made the tapping noise. At the back of the office there is a step embankment with some broken bushes but not a person. Turning, she sees a shadowy form in the office where she was standing only a moment earlier and realizes that Roberta is not with her. Returning to find her, Judy sees that Roberta is the shadowy figure in the office and that the warning has faded from the steamy window. Going back to the area behind the office, Judy discovers Peter’s car keys on the ground and decides that he may have gone back to the car to look for his keys. On the way back to the parking lot, Judy overhears workmen talking about the explosion and possible reasons for it. The workmen repeat what Peter has said earlier; there have been a number of accidents that have frightened the men. Realizing that it is late, Judy drives Roberta to school then returns the car to its original spot and leaves Peter a note saying she has the keys and will be in the real estate office. Back at the office, Arthur Farringdon-Pett arrives and tells Judy that his foreman, Joe Stebbins, was the mysterious caller.

Margaret has some good clues in this chapter with the steamy window, broken bushes, and Peter’s car keys. I don’t know about you, but in my experience it is always women losing their car keys and rarely men.

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 661 comments Knowing what has happened to Peter while Judy is running around unsuspecting of his fate, I find this chapter rather distressing. Poor kid!

From the narrative: << ... I don’t know about you, but in my experience it is always women losing their car keys and rarely men.>>

I don't necessarily lose my keys as much as forgetting them. One time, I had invited my parents to come over to my apartment after dinner to celebrate New Year's Eve together. I thought we would be allowed to leave work significantly early, but such was not the case. I hurried after work to the grocery store to get some things I needed for the evening, hurried home, let myself into my apartment, and started getting reading for my company including having a hurried dinner.

I was in another part of the apartment when I heard the main door open and my parents entered! I was astonished. As I went to greet them, I asked, "How did you get in?"

"The keys were in the lock," my mom told me.

As he handed them to me, my dad commented that this was an easy apartment to break into. In my haste upon returning home, I obviously forgot to remove them from the door lock!

I was lucky that nobody had taken them! My work keys were on that ring and it was known about the city that I worked at the public library!

Years later, when I moved into another apartment in another city, I didn't need my keys to lock my door upon leaving. One morning I realized that I didn't have my keys for home at work (separate rings by this time) so I called my landlord to ask if he was going by my apartment (the lower level of a house) would he stop to unlock the side door. He agreed to this.

Another time, I had forgotten my keys and called my landlord. He was not planning to go by my apartment that day. My request: "Could you please go to my apartment and unlock my side door?"

message 4: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 107 comments William wrote: "From the narrative: >

I don't necessarily lose my keys as much as forgetting them. One time, I had invited my parents to come over to my apartment after dinner to celebrate New Year's Eve together..."

Bill this has happened to me a few times and I learned to hide an extra key in my flower box to save me...🌸

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy (hugsjudy) | 66 comments We bought a key box for our extra key. You need a code to open. We forgot keys too. However we have not forgotten them since we got the code box. Lol.

Good ideas from Betsy and Judy. I really like the idea of a code box.

message 7: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1167 comments Judy wrote: "We bought a key box for our extra key. You need a code to open. We forgot keys too. However we have not forgotten them since we got the code box. Lol."

Now our entire door lock is a code. Much relief,

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Sweet | 188 comments Well my husband lost my spare car key on vacation and a new one cost over $300!

message 9: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 485 comments Those key fobs for new cars are very expensive as you found out, Cindy. I lost one of mine for a car we leased. The snow was very deep and we couldn't find them. When the snow all melted, my husband found them on the lawn all chewed up. I had dropped them on the driveway in the snow and my husband gathered them up with the snow in the snow blower. The dealership replaced them and didn't charge us. We were very lucky.
The code locks are so nice.
When I went to Judy Days in Coudersport, I was driving a car we had just leased. When I was leaving the hotel to go home, I realized I had locked the keys in the trunk. It was my first experience with that type of key. I went in the car and looked all through the manual because I couldn't find a switch to pull inside the car to open the truck like we had always had. I couldn't find a thing about it or anything in the car. I was starting to get a little upset and decided to try just opening the trunk and it opened. I was so relieved. I found it just in time to go to Mass in that nice little church in Coudersport near the hotel.

Faye wrote: "Those key fobs for new cars are very expensive as you found out, Cindy. I lost one of mine for a car we leased. The snow was very deep and we couldn't find them. When the snow all melted, my husban..."

I'm glad your story had a happy ending, Faye, and you were able to attend Mass.

message 11: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 485 comments Thanks, Bill. I was happy with the ending too. And the church was so nice and so many young families, all friendly and happy looking. I would definitely go again if I went to Coudersport again.

message 12: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1167 comments Faye wrote: "When I went to Judy Days in Coudersport, I was driving a car we had just leased. When I was leaving the hotel to go home, I realized I had locked the keys in the trunk. It was my first experience with that type of key. I went in the car and looked all through the manual because I couldn't find a switch to pull inside the car to open the truck."

I am so sorry that happened, Faye. I had forgotten that story if I knew it. You probably didn't tell me to spare me. I was so happy that you made it to the 2012 Judy Bolton days.

message 13: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 485 comments Several people were leaving as I was trying to get it figured out. I didn't want anyone to feel beholden to help. I had AAA but didn't know if they could help. I was grateful that the trunk didn't lock since that type of key was in it. A regular key and I don't know what I could do.
I was so happy to go too. It was the first time, I ever went anywhere on my own. It was a very different experience.

message 14: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1167 comments Faye wrote: "I was so happy to go too. It was the first time, I ever went anywhere on my own. It was a very different experience. ."

Yes, you were so brave! I really appreciated it. And by coming by yourself, we had more time to hang out together.

message 15: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 485 comments It was really a wonderful trip and I so enjoyed our time together.
It was great to see the people that I had met before and to meet so many new people.